IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Idolatry of certainty vs idolatry of uncertainty.
Those who make a big deal out of their shades of grey, and disparage anyone who, even legitimately, thinks he's got a clue, are also boolean, in their own very silly way. They're just in denial about it.

Me, I think in terms of probability. 0% and 100% are legitimate probability values, and so is anything in between. I don't hold out for absolute certainty. I'll settle for probabilities of 1% or 99%, and predicate my actions on such. No whining about shades of gray for me. But if, for example, it seems irrefutable that one plus one always equals two, I won't shy away from that.

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New On addition and other rules.
But if, for example, it seems irrefutable that one plus one always equals two, I won't shy away from that.

But:

1 + 1 = 10

in base 2.

:-p

But seriously, "Where you stand depends on where you sit." The rules of addition are clear, as are the symbols around them. But everyone needs to agree upon the rules for the system to work. If you're doing addition in base 10 and others are doing it in base 2, then there will be disagreements on what the symbols mean.

Similarly with other human constructions like laws and ethics.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Democrats to promote religious intolerance? - (marlowe) - (21)
         Fowlwell has a lot in common with our saudi buds - (boxley)
         Sounds utterly logical and reasonable to me. - (Ashton) - (14)
             Is this a straight line? - (marlowe) - (13)
                 Feel free to point out - (Ashton) - (12)
                     Shame on you, Ash. You know better. - (marlowe) - (11)
                         Error. Error. Denying the antecedent. - (Ashton) - (10)
                             I do deny it. - (mhuber) - (3)
                                 Idolatry of certainty vs idolatry of uncertainty. - (marlowe) - (1)
                                     On addition and other rules. - (Another Scott)
                                 A perspicuous nutshell - (Ashton)
                             Question. - (static) - (2)
                                 Some excerpts.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Thanks. - (static)
                             Do you misunderstand by accident or on purpose? - (marlowe) - (2)
                                 boy I bet that just rolled off the keyboard :) - (boxley)
                                 I'll see that and raise - (Ashton)
         Woudn't that be promoting *tolerance*? - (Silverlock) - (4)
             Surely even you know better. -NT - (marlowe) - (1)
                 I must be a mope. Why don't you *educate* me? - (Silverlock)
             If you define tolerance=muzzling those you disagree with, no -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Okay, okay. - (Silverlock)

The Pseudo Markov Chain O' Puerile Musings.
55 ms