IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay. (after an Admonishment)
Ubuntu's root is (hd0,5) /dev/hda6. MEPIS's is (hd0,6) /dev/hda7 WinME is (hd0,0), of course.
This is why one of the reasons I use a /boot pratition. Allows you to use a single one for any number of Distros.
title           Mepis\nroot            (hd0,6)\nkernel          /boot/exactmepiskernelname root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791\ninitrd          /initrd.imgforthemepiskernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle           Mepis (recovery mode)\nroot            (hd0,6)\nkernel          /boot/exactmepiskernelname root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791 single\ninitrd          /boot/initrd.imgforthemepiskernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle           Ubuntu\nroot            (hd0,5)\nkernel          /boot/exactubuntukernelname root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=791\ninitrd          /boot/initrd.imgfortheubuntukernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle           Ubuntu (recovery mode)\nroot            (hd0,5)\nkernel          /boot/exactubuntukernelname root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=791 single\ninitrd          /boot/initrd.imgfortheubuntukernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle   Windows hd0,0\nrootnoverify (hd0,0)\nmakeactive\nchainloader +1\n\n# These 2 entries change hd0 into hd1 and\n# hd1 into hd0 to trick Windows\n#title   WinXP hd0-hd1+hd1\n#        map (hd0) (hd1)\n#        map (hd1) (hd0)\n#        rootnoverify (hd1,0)\n#        makeactive\n#        chainloader +1\n#\n#title   WinXP 0x80-0x81+hd1\n#        map (0x81) (0x80)\n#        map (0x80) (0x81)\n#        rootnoverify (hd1,0)\n#        makeactive\n#        chainloader +1
The thing is, if the initrd image doesn't exist just leave off the whole line for that entry.

If it were me,

(hd0,0) /dev/hda1 == Windows
(hd0,1) /dev/hda2 == 200-300MB /boot partition for any Linux distro (flagged bootable)
(hd0,2) /dev/hda3 == swap for linux
(hd0,4) /dev/hda5 == Mepis Root
(hd0,5) /dev/hda6 == Ubuntu Root
(hd0,6) /dev/hda7 == /home for both linux distribs

That would make it so you could specify all distros to use /dev/hda2 as the /boot filesystem. That way you can put all kernels for the distros there. Using one grub menu.lst Simplifies every.

Edit: After an admonishment, I *HAVE* corrected Mephis to Mepis.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert Oct. 16, 2005, 06:30:16 PM EDT
New Thank you.
I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

This is just for the machine I'm giving away to give the recipient a taste of what Ubuntu and MEPIS are like. If he wants to repartition it, he'll have install CDs (and ISOs on the Windows partition) to let him do that. :-)

When I finally set up MEPIS and Ubuntu for myself I'll try this scheme (and add a /usr as well perhaps - I need to review what each of the partitions is for and the implications for reinstalling/upgrading/sharing with other distros, etc.).

Thank you very much, Greg. I appreciate it.

[edit:] tyop.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Oct. 16, 2005, 07:07:00 PM EDT
New careful
If he wants to repartition it, he'll have install CDs (and ISOs on the Windows partition) to let him do that. :-)

Even for windows? you might want to check your conscription agreement.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New It came with ME.
It's leaving with ME and only ME (except for the MEPIS and Ubuntu stuff). No money is changing hands. It's just going to be a very, very long term loan. ;-)

ME came preinstalled with the CABs in a subdirectory and a recovery partition. It's leaving the same way.

I don't think MS's lawyers will be bothering me. Unless I'm missing something?

Cheers,
Scott.
New *whew* :)
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
     WinME, MEPIS and Ubuntu - Fighting GRUB Match. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Okay. (after an Admonishment) - (folkert) - (4)
             Thank you. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 careful - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                     It came with ME. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         *whew* :) -NT - (Steve Lowe)

ONE THE MACHINE!
111 ms