IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New WinME, MEPIS and Ubuntu - Fighting GRUB Match.
Hi,

I got WinME working after a reinstall - it was pretty painless as little was overwritten.

I then installed the latest Simply MEPIS 3.3.1-1. I reinstalled GRUB in the MBR. It worked fine to boot MEPIS and WinME.

I then installed Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger - the released version I downloaded today). It also insisted on installing GRUB in the MBR (there didn't seem to be any way to continue the install without installing GRUB). It found WinME and MEPIS, but the screen was very plane-Jane and it didn't list the options MEPIS had (kernel 2.6.10 and kernel 2.4.29). MEPIS's boot screen is much nicer, so I wanted to use that.

Not knowing how to edit GRUB's files at the time, I booted the MEPIS CD and reinstalled MEPIS's GRUB. But it got confused and only put WinME on the menu.

So I booted MEPIS from the CD again, did some reading, and edited the menu.lst file MEPIS GRUB uses with information from the Ubuntu menu.lst. I got the menu.lst file to look right, and it works fine to boot MEPIS, but when I try to boot WinME it throws up another GRUB screen (Ubuntu's) and from there neither Ubuntu nor WinME boot. But MEPIS does.

How should I fix this mess I've gotten myself into?

Ubuntu's root is (hd0,5) /dev/hda6. MEPIS's is (hd0,6) /dev/hda7 WinME is (hd0,0), of course.

Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Okay. (after an Admonishment)
Ubuntu's root is (hd0,5) /dev/hda6. MEPIS's is (hd0,6) /dev/hda7 WinME is (hd0,0), of course.
This is why one of the reasons I use a /boot pratition. Allows you to use a single one for any number of Distros.
title           Mepis\nroot            (hd0,6)\nkernel          /boot/exactmepiskernelname root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791\ninitrd          /initrd.imgforthemepiskernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle           Mepis (recovery mode)\nroot            (hd0,6)\nkernel          /boot/exactmepiskernelname root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791 single\ninitrd          /boot/initrd.imgforthemepiskernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle           Ubuntu\nroot            (hd0,5)\nkernel          /boot/exactubuntukernelname root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=791\ninitrd          /boot/initrd.imgfortheubuntukernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle           Ubuntu (recovery mode)\nroot            (hd0,5)\nkernel          /boot/exactubuntukernelname root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=791 single\ninitrd          /boot/initrd.imgfortheubuntukernel\nsavedefault\nboot\n\ntitle   Windows hd0,0\nrootnoverify (hd0,0)\nmakeactive\nchainloader +1\n\n# These 2 entries change hd0 into hd1 and\n# hd1 into hd0 to trick Windows\n#title   WinXP hd0-hd1+hd1\n#        map (hd0) (hd1)\n#        map (hd1) (hd0)\n#        rootnoverify (hd1,0)\n#        makeactive\n#        chainloader +1\n#\n#title   WinXP 0x80-0x81+hd1\n#        map (0x81) (0x80)\n#        map (0x80) (0x81)\n#        rootnoverify (hd1,0)\n#        makeactive\n#        chainloader +1
The thing is, if the initrd image doesn't exist just leave off the whole line for that entry.

If it were me,

(hd0,0) /dev/hda1 == Windows
(hd0,1) /dev/hda2 == 200-300MB /boot partition for any Linux distro (flagged bootable)
(hd0,2) /dev/hda3 == swap for linux
(hd0,4) /dev/hda5 == Mepis Root
(hd0,5) /dev/hda6 == Ubuntu Root
(hd0,6) /dev/hda7 == /home for both linux distribs

That would make it so you could specify all distros to use /dev/hda2 as the /boot filesystem. That way you can put all kernels for the distros there. Using one grub menu.lst Simplifies every.

Edit: After an admonishment, I *HAVE* corrected Mephis to Mepis.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert Oct. 16, 2005, 06:30:16 PM EDT
New Thank you.
I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

This is just for the machine I'm giving away to give the recipient a taste of what Ubuntu and MEPIS are like. If he wants to repartition it, he'll have install CDs (and ISOs on the Windows partition) to let him do that. :-)

When I finally set up MEPIS and Ubuntu for myself I'll try this scheme (and add a /usr as well perhaps - I need to review what each of the partitions is for and the implications for reinstalling/upgrading/sharing with other distros, etc.).

Thank you very much, Greg. I appreciate it.

[edit:] tyop.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Oct. 16, 2005, 07:07:00 PM EDT
New careful
If he wants to repartition it, he'll have install CDs (and ISOs on the Windows partition) to let him do that. :-)

Even for windows? you might want to check your conscription agreement.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New It came with ME.
It's leaving with ME and only ME (except for the MEPIS and Ubuntu stuff). No money is changing hands. It's just going to be a very, very long term loan. ;-)

ME came preinstalled with the CABs in a subdirectory and a recovery partition. It's leaving the same way.

I don't think MS's lawyers will be bothering me. Unless I'm missing something?

Cheers,
Scott.
New *whew* :)
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
     WinME, MEPIS and Ubuntu - Fighting GRUB Match. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Okay. (after an Admonishment) - (folkert) - (4)
             Thank you. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 careful - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                     It came with ME. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         *whew* :) -NT - (Steve Lowe)

Home of the sash-swinging flasher!
66 ms