IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New got an answer, (partial)
it looks like parts may fall off but the cave itself doesnt collapse
[link|http://www.geosociety.org/news/pr/05-10.htm|http://www.geosociet...news/pr/05-10.htm]
Elisa J. Kagan, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Institute of Earth Sciences, Jerusalem 91904, Israel; et al. Pages 261-264.
The long-term recurrence pattern of past earthquakes is of considerable consequence for hazard assessments with implications for earthquake physics. Kagan et al. introduce a dated record of earthquakes from well-preserved earthquake-damaged cave deposits (e.g., stalactites and stalagmites). The study caves are located 15 km from the city of Jerusalem (Israel) and 40 km from the active Dead Sea transform fault. During an earthquake, cave deposits can be broken and may fall. Subsequent to an earthquake, deposition continues on top of the damaged material. The boundary between the pre- and post-earthquake material can be dated precisely, bracketing the date of the earthquake. Kagan et al. dated a large number of rock falls inside the caves using Uranium-Thorium radiometric dating methods and stable isotope correlation with well-dated climatic events previously recognized in the deposits. Cave deposits are advantageous to this kind of study since they are potentially well dated up to about half a million years. This presents the opportunity to recreate a long-term earthquake record and include the largest earthquakes to have hit a region, which is usually unavailable by other methods. Within the last 185,000 years covered, they dated 38 damaged samples. They determined that these deposits were damaged during 13\ufffd18 earthquakes. The average recurrence interval of earthquakes causing damage at the study location is 10,000\ufffd14,000 years. Kagan et al. show that there is a correlation of the earthquakes dated in the study caves with independent earthquake records (mainly deformed lake sediments) near the Dead Sea. The earthquakes dated in their study are most likely large (M > 8), infrequent events, given the distance from the active fault. This opens up a significant new avenue of earthquake research that will provide precise dating and observational constraints on large, infrequent earthquakes.
since mammoth cave doesnt have deposits as such (no stalag or stalactites) not much would be going on.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New That suggests that you can indeed feel one inside the cave
Else the inside of the cave wouldn't get damaged.

Any cave that is fragile enough to collapse in routine earthquakes should have collapsed a long time ago. So I'd expect the cave to survive. The question is whether people inside the cave can feel the earthquake.

Cheers
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I would suspect they can if . . .
. . they're paying attention, and certainly in an area of actual earth movement. Propegation is in a nearly uncompressible medium and I doubt the cave would be large enough to generate a boundry effect, so I wouldn't be too surprised if working men missed it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Major quake in Pakistan - (JayMehaffey) - (13)
         Here is the chance for India and Pakistan to do something - (Arkadiy)
         Wonder if anyone else had the thought -?- - (Ashton) - (11)
             Yep, I've thought about it too. - (a6l6e6x)
             not if he was in a cave - (boxley) - (9)
                 Tell you what - (drewk)
                 That sounds like an urban legend - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                     urban legend as repeated by national park service employees - (boxley) - (6)
                         I'd love to see an explanation - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Where would it displace to? - (drewk) - (4)
                                 got an answer, (partial) - (boxley) - (2)
                                     That suggests that you can indeed feel one inside the cave - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         I would suspect they can if . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 A very LOUD bell... - (ben_tilly)

Jane! Jane, get me off this crazy thing!
41 ms