IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Google's image index gets awfully stale.

There was a big scandal a while back where people asserted that Google was trying to help cover up the Abu Ghraib torture scandal, because you couldn't find the photos in their image search. Turned out that it was just a simple case of Google not having updated their image index in months, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the culprit here as well -- dig through a Google image search sometime and note the sheer number of broken links and 404s you find, and it'll become pretty obvious that they only update it once in a blue moon.

\r\n\r\n

As others have pointed out, do the web search; they update that continuously.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
\r\n[link|http://www.shtuff.us/|shtuff]
New Nope, that seems to be getting it backwards.
Über-James writes:
...just a simple case of Google not having updated their image index in months, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the culprit here as well...
But the problem is, first the most recent and relevant pictures were there, and later they were not. That's hardly a consequence of not having updated the index... It actually looks more like actively un-updating it. Weird, eh?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Never attribute to malice...
Google uses a "redundant array of inexpensive computers". If they don't care about keeping images up to date, then odds are that they aren't worrying about keeping them synchronized across the cluster either. Which would mean that 2 requests could easily come up with 2 different sets of pictures.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New And given...

That even with the web search, hits to different Google datacenters (last I heard there were nine of them, I'm sure there are more now since that was a couple years back) can return different results ranked differently, well... looks like no evil is being done at the moment.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
\r\n[link|http://www.shtuff.us/|shtuff]
New Ah, sorry, didn't mean to - should'a emphasised "looks like"
     Wanna see something interesting? - (drewk) - (14)
         Try this... - (Yendor) - (7)
             Nothing in the first 5 pages -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                 Er, yeah there is - (Yendor) - (5)
                     Not on mine - (drewk) - (4)
                         Apparently we are - (Yendor) - (3)
                             WTF? -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                 BTHO me. -NT - (Yendor) - (1)
                                     FWIW, first I saw it, then I didn't any more. -NT - (CRConrad)
         I can find your picture in 2 clicks. - (Another Scott)
         Google's image index gets awfully stale. - (ubernostrum) - (4)
             Nope, that seems to be getting it backwards. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Never attribute to malice... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     And given... - (ubernostrum)
                     Ah, sorry, didn't mean to - should'a emphasised "looks like" -NT - (CRConrad)

Your LRPD God[tm] was HERE!
73 ms