IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So much for the Finns, then.
[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/finlands_drm_law/|http://www.theregist...finlands_drm_law/]
Until now, Finland had allowed copying for personal use, and had a blank media levy in place to compensate authors.

But under the new laws, not only will copying for personal use become illegal, so will possessing, distributing or advertising tools that break copy protection. P2PNet points out that the law prohibits even "organised discussion" of such things.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New /me has changed his target for emigration to Sweden.
As the Finns can't be trusted anymore.

Yes, CRC that means YOU!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;\n\n0 rows returned.
New Uhh... but I AM a Swede! (I only live here in .fi!)
New Yup. :-( Perhaps even worse, when some...
...members of Parliament got ever so slightly cold feet last week and wanted to postpone the final vote a little and amend the proposal to include even some small protection of fair use rights, they all apparently reached a "compromise"... -- Ah, I see the Reg has that bit, about the "appended note". But, the way they put it in the papers I read may still have been even worse: Something like "Naah, we don't have to put that into the law itself; if it doesn't work out [i.e, if lots of people are getting sued for attempting to make fair use of their media -- C.R.C.] then we can always revisit the law to add that later, and this is all the guarantee that consumers need". Uuh... That of course begs the question: If they could add it later as easily as all that, then why the fucking Hell couldn't they just as well put it in there *now*?!?

Personally, I think the Minister of Culture, Tanja Karpela -- an ex-model or something, one of those silly "celebrities" that the Finnish Parliament is full of, and lately known mainly for having had a relationship with former leader of the Conservative party and minister of Finance, Sauli Niinistö -- had invested too much of her prestige into making Finland the star pupil of the class by being first to fully conform to some new EU directive (a copy of the DMCA, dictated by the RIAA and MPAA); so much that she just *had* to ram-rod it through as-is, or lose a politically unacceptable amount of face.

(I must admit, though, that I'm not *quite* sure of this; unfortunately, I don't follow Finnish politics all that closely.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New WHAT! you get stuck in over our pols all the time
WTF dont you follow politics in the country you are living and bringing up your kid in!
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Because, A), They don't actually matter much, in...
...the wider perspective and the long run -- we're drifting towards a system of so-called "nation-states" which in reality are mere provinces of a huge Brussels-based bureaucracy known as the EU -- and B), the EU itself -- despite occasional attempts by various European politicians to raise their profile by being "Anti-American", usually in connection with elections in their "nation" provinces -- pretty much follows the US by the apron strings.

The subject of this thread is a perfect example of that; it's the Yanks' stupid DMCA (or wasn't there a more draconian version, "Son of DMCA" or "DMCA II", on the table? If so, then it's probably this) that we're implementing... So if I want to influence "politics in the country [I am] living and bringing up [my] kid in", the best way to do that, AFAICS, would actually be trying to influence *US* politics. And THAT is why I follow US politics almost as much, or perhaps more than, I do Finnish.

(Another reason for me not to follow Finnish poolitics is, of course, that they're usually conducted *in* Finnish.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Can't fault that logic.. idiocy travels like Ebola (might..)

New Dup Ignore
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
Expand Edited by Silverlock Oct. 7, 2005, 11:04:31 PM EDT
New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #228681 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=228681|ICLRPD]
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New France, baby
Their laws all favor the people over the evil corps. DRM is illegal there IIRC.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New At least until the war on Freedom^h^h^h^h^h^h^hTerrar...
...gets there
     So much for the Finns, then. - (admin) - (10)
         /me has changed his target for emigration to Sweden. - (folkert) - (1)
             Uhh... but I AM a Swede! (I only live here in .fi!) -NT - (CRConrad)
         Yup. :-( Perhaps even worse, when some... - (CRConrad) - (5)
             WHAT! you get stuck in over our pols all the time - (boxley) - (4)
                 Because, A), They don't actually matter much, in... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Can't fault that logic.. idiocy travels like Ebola (might..) -NT - (Ashton)
                     Dup Ignore -NT - (Silverlock)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (Silverlock)
         France, baby - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             At least until the war on Freedom^h^h^h^h^h^h^hTerrar... - (inthane-chan)

Kilroy was here.
193 ms