IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks, Spice
I set that one up, and it appears to work...except:

1) It is butt stupid in handling multiple drives. You can set it up to share multiple drives, but if you don't alias them, they are unaccessible. Which brings us to...

2) It, like all other FSF/GNU/Bazaar-type software, is completely and utterly devoid of documentation. If you don't already know everything there is to know about FTP (in this case), you're SOL. The solution to the multiple drive problem is to set up an alias, which is undocumented except for two sentences in the server FAQ.

3) It doesn't handle Clearcase volumes properly; it can't see any of the files or directories on the volume. That might be because I pointed the server at the MVFS mapped drive; I may have to point it at the VOB mount point pseudo-drive instead (more to come on that later).

Those annoyances aside, it seems to work OK. Big test is tonight, when I try to tunnel through both my and Big Giant Corp's firewalls to see if I can get a file...
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Follow Up: The trick with ClearCase is...
...to use the MVFS mount point (generally the M: drive, but ymmv, as this is configurable) as the drive, select the view you want access to as the subdirectory (e.g. share the path M:\\my_view), then alias that to some pseudo-directory on the "home" directory. (In this above example, I shared "M:\\my_view", and aliased it to the "view" directory on my home drive D: -- note that there is no real "D:\\view" directory on my D: drive).

HTH
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New There is OSS with excellent documentation
OK, maybe not Filezilla (which I've used to store pictures from a Cognex Insight networked vision system, which uses standard TCP protocols such as ftp and telnet), but a couple examples:

1. Subversion (free book, and they seem to be keeping it updated)
2. TortoiseSVN
3. Python
4. Lua (free book)
5. Setting up gcc to work with Eclipse on Windows to cross compile and download to Philips LPC ARM-7 chips (thanks to one person who has put together very detailed PDFs on this -- I'm working through this now)
6. The Trac documentation is a little scattered, but the Windows install directions were pretty good - once I figured out I couldn't use Python 2.4

To be fair, bad documentation is the normal rule. Interesting, of my six example of stuff I've used, the majority aren't GPL.

Tony
     Looking for (free) personal FTP server for Windows - (jb4) - (10)
         Xitami seemed fine to me. - (Another Scott)
         You might think about using sftp instead - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
             So If I already have Cygwin installed - (jb4) - (1)
                 I would think so. - (Steve Lowe)
         I'm using FireZilla under XP - (SpiceWare) - (5)
             FireZilla? Or FileZilla? -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                 had chinese for lunch -NT - (SpiceWare)
             Thanks, Spice - (jb4) - (2)
                 Follow Up: The trick with ClearCase is... - (jb4)
                 There is OSS with excellent documentation - (tonytib)

Just give me credit in the Garamonde-Flighty footnotes.
68 ms