IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Horrid Electronic Gadgets!
Warning: Owl venting here.

I hate electronics. Have I ever said that? I really truly HATE electronics. I think they sit around all day with their little capacitors and diodes and wires just viciously plotting up ways to piss me off!

Three days, three electronic devices.... equal lots of stress... I wasn't born to fix/run electronic devices... I was born to organize, to write, to USE certain electronic devices, but never to fix or understand them!

Mechanical, that's different. My car and I are on intimate terms and I know many things about mechanical things... but add electronics and owls become a screaming hysterical mass of tension!

Programming is for people who understand fucking electronics... whether it be a computer, a VCR or a wireless device.... not for me.... I can't even run a friggin two line phone without losing the incoming call!!!!! Too many buttons to figure out.

So then why.... why am I trying to run a Yamaha Mixer Model MX-200-24 !???? And if that wasn't bad enough, I'm also trying to find solutions for Katie's computer, (fortunately though, John dealt with most of that one), and then today is the absolute last straw.... my shitty new VCR (which isn't even as good as the old one, mind you), decides to start squealing and shrieking... then I try to turn it off and it won't turn off, it squeals more. I swear, it sounds like a bloody stuck pig in heat! Then I finally get it to turn off but it won't give me the damn tape. I'm ready to kick it in it's fucking tape slot!

Finally.... it spits tape out. Testing said tape in second (older VCR), tape determines it runs fine. No squeal, so at least I've isolated the squeal to the top newer VCR. Manage to somehow program the bottom VCR to record today for me.Brand new VCR/DVD player in the living room, John's toy... I have no clue how to use it... might be having to learn FAST.

All I know is I'm so thankful my car was born before the era of computer brains.

Just blowing off some well deserved fucking steam...

Thanks.

Brenda

Edit: P.S. I did finally aquire a manual for the Yamaha Board, just haven't had time to read it much yet.

"I'll rock the darn boat all I want to, and if it's meant to stay afloat, then it will. If not, then we'll just all go down with the bloody ship!"
Expand Edited by Nightowl Oct. 3, 2005, 02:23:08 PM EDT
New ICLRPD (and i've only read the 1st 2 paragraphs!) (new thread)
Created as new thread #227819 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=227819|ICLRPD (and i've only read the 1st 2 paragraphs!)]
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Listen, birdbrain, I love electronics!
I got a BS! :) degree in it. I can't say all electronic devices are well designed, and some have horrid human factors, but I wouldn't want to live without them.

The squealing and shrieking you're bitching about are actually mechanical problems not electronic. It is mechanical problems from friction, vibration, and thermal cycling that eventually kill electronic devices. (Temperature is a mechanical property of matter.) Yes, there's chemical processes in the mix too.
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New Re: Listen, birdbrain, I love electronics!
The squealing and shrieking you're bitching about are actually mechanical problems not electronic. It is mechanical problems from friction, vibration, and thermal cycling that eventually kill electronic devices. (Temperature is a mechanical property of matter.) Yes, there's chemical processes in the mix too.

Okay.... now tell me what to do to fix it? ;)

Brenda

"I'll rock the darn boat all I want to, and if it's meant to stay afloat, then it will. If not, then we'll just all go down with the bloody ship!"
New Toss it off a 3-story building? Boil it in oil?
Both will fix the screeching. with some finite collateral damage, I wot...

;-\ufffd
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Unfortunately, we are now in a throw-away society.
Unless it's under warranty, it costs more to fix these things than to buy another one. But, make it a different brand. Consumer Reports may be of help on reliability data.
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New Yeah that's what I figured.
I'll check on the warranty, not sure how new it is. Problem with a different brand, is we're both particular about the method (buttons, etc), used to program them, and we haven't found many with the "type in the info" method. Most have the shitty "keep pushing a button until it is the letter/number you want method.

The wildest part is the one that's older than it is works fine, and still does. Problem with it is it only has four programming slots.

At least it's easier to fix/replace than Katie's computer or the stupid PA board.

Brenda

New I think of it as a "forced upgrade". :-)
The new generation of electronics is almost always substantially better than the last in every respect other than reliability.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Hahah!
That's a good one, Ben!

I think I'm just in a shitty mood in general today. Katie losing her computer kind of puts me in a bind I was desperately trying to escape. See, Katie said she would take over the Family Report so that I could separate it from my monthly letter....

Guess who is helping Katie with the Family Report now that she doesn't have a computer? And guess who I now have to send the information to to get them started on the report, because I can't e-mail it to Katie?

one guess.... two guesses... 3.... right! SIL!

Grrrrrr.

So much for escape.

Brenda

New On my fridge is a Stine cartoon
It depicts a critter with head bent parallel-to-ground, on shoulder - stack of boxlike objects atop,

hand-penned down the margin:

So often
We fail to see
that the unrelenting,
sometimes even horrific,
pressures we live under
are actually pressures
that we created
by our own DESIRES
in the first
place.

bon DESIRES appetit :-)

New That applies in many ways to me, I agree
But I fail to see how it would apply to SIL, since I never had desires to have her opinions expressed at me in the first place. ;)

It's okay... I'm stressed, crabby, slightly depressed, and feeling overwhelmed, but I'm determined to do something about it all starting TODAY.

Brenda

New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #227865 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=227865|ICLRPD]

Horrid Electronic Gadgets! - (Nightowl) - (11)
         ICLRPD (and i've only read the 1st 2 paragraphs!) (new thread) - (jb4)
         Listen, birdbrain, I love electronics! - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
             Re: Listen, birdbrain, I love electronics! - (Nightowl) - (8)
                 Toss it off a 3-story building? Boil it in oil? - (jb4)
                 Unfortunately, we are now in a throw-away society. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                     Yeah that's what I figured. - (Nightowl)
                     I think of it as a "forced upgrade". :-) - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         Hahah! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             On my fridge is a Stine cartoon - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 That applies in many ways to me, I agree - (Nightowl)
                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (Ashton)

You sly ol' iconoclast, you...
115 ms