IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Independent newspapers
Wherever I have lived, or interviewed for a job, I always check out the local alternative newspaper. Generally speaking, they do the best job when it comes to presenting stories that the mainstream McNews refuses to print, primarily because the stories would affect their gravy train of "PC" politicians.

This guy, from the Austin Chronicle, is one of the reasons I feel this way. After several years, I think he's gotten better at telling it like it is, as compared to the Austin American-Statesman, which tells it the way the publisher (a friend of Pres. Shrub and a large campaign contribuer to Shrub and other high Republican campaigns) wishes it to be.

[link|http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-12-21/cols_ventura.html|column]

[link|http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-12-28/cols_ventura.html|previous column]

BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New I agree, and here's what I'm doing about it
I'm the webmaster for [link|http://www.shepherd-express.com|Milwaukee's alternative weekly]. I maintain the site at below-market rates because I like the paper. And it's a steady gig at a time when that means something.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New "CONSENT of the Governed"
appears to summarize the exact position we find ourselves (all of us) in - this 12/31/2001.

Even here, there appear to be some who are willing to suspend judgment - just a while longer? - re the net effect of the measures taken by Dubya/Ashcroft, though that has zippo to do with the overall National take. I wonder today: have we given Mr. Ashcroft a sufficiently fair chance by Now, before rendering judgments about his character and his intentions? Heard yet enough of his characterization of his opponents as ~ aiders and abetters of The Terrorists\ufffd (dupes ?? again!) to be pretty sure what he stands for (and against) ??

It costs 34\ufffd (plus envelope) to:

plagiarize the most pithy comments noted anywhere, assemble these with some original thought and convey one's sentiments (and high dudgeon where applicable) to the various caretakers of the US Constitution. e-mails? maybe ... free of Anthrax hype but.. doesn't MEGO (my eyes glaze..) occur after the first 50?

Through the magic of COPY, one effort may serve many recipients, and I take it as a given that a well written screed IS apt to get funneled to the top -- and may even provide the tongue-tied recipient some fodder for eventual rebuttals to the present trends: that is, if enough.. indications ARE received, on a regular basis, from THE GOVERNED.

Thanks for the timely reminder. If THIS much can be lost within merely days of a cataclysm, how much can be done over the next 3.03 YEARS? (That is, if all the sheep merely graze, shop and occasionally grumble among peers)

Ashton
Terrorist Dupe for the Impeachment of John Ashcroft in 2002
Make It So.
2002: can it suck more than 2001?
New Inauguration is January 20th, I get > 3.03 years. :(
Sorry about that. Unless, of course, you have a revolution in mind. :) (or are living in the future).
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Re: USA-PATRIOT Act

I have *no* problem with the prez doing what he is doing, right down to vetoing release of prior admins records etc:

PROVIDING

There is a fixed time period at which the act & laws revert back. Then & only then review them & if the congress of the day still agrees, re-establish the act & laws.

Taking advantage of chaos to enact *permanent* cjanges, is without doubt dangerous.

Re the issue of releasing sensitive data. Quite frankly it seems bizzare that the info implicating Kennedy era military officials in plots to use terrorism against their own citizens in order to justify an invasion of Cuba, and to allow release of this info right in period after Sept 11 attacks, seemed *insane* (releasing the info that is).

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Sorry, I don't buy it.
Re the issue of releasing sensitive data. Quite frankly it seems bizzare that the info implicating Kennedy era military officials in plots to use terrorism against their own citizens in order to justify an invasion of Cuba, and to allow release of this info right in period after Sept 11 attacks, seemed *insane* (releasing the info that is).

Sorry, I don't buy it. If anything, releasing that information was VITALLY important at the time - if for no other reason to show that our own nation is not immune to manipulating its people. At a time like this, especially considering the actions of Ashcroft and Prez. Shrub, we MUST be vigilant, because the second greatest threat to our liberty is our own government.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Re: Sorry, I don't buy it. - Nup - the timing was my issue

I agree that we should hear about what past govts plotted if the evidence is avail but the timing of that release did *nothing* for the US image oseas. All it provided was a solid case for anti-US Arabs to justify their published plots that the 'Jews dun it'. US CIA dun it etc: etc:

Cheers

Doug
New Re: A connundrum - public trials
The Arab world was demanding that the US produce credible evidence against Bin Laden before embarking on hostile action in Afghansitan. Sort of a public trial by press.

Bin Laden was making no real admissions to any guilt & other Arabs insisted that they considered him blameless without clear (in their eyes) evidence to implicate him.

Then US began its action in Afghanistan & turned up highly damaging evidence of OBL complicity plus Bin Laden himself 1st appears in one tape sounding totally guilty, then goes public where he tacitly admitted involvement & knowledge.

So the conundrum is - in times of serious crisis involving national security (where a serious threat is made against the lives and livelihood of all US citizens) should 'public' trials be insisted upon because the concept pleases our righteous sensibilities or should the US do pretty much what it did in Afghanistan (where it took speedy action then delivered the smoking gun) and investigate & try terrorists in private in order to protect delicate & sensisitive information that could harm future success.

To me the answer to the challenge is to allow private trials for a fixed period after which the law automatically reverts & has to be reviewed & agreed to by congress before being re-implemented. I am convinced that there are times when information used in trials of terrorists must be kept *secret* but agree that there must be a timeframe where 'emergency' measures such as the prez & his controllers are putting in place, get *automatically* reverted & *only* allowed to be re-instated after a review by congress. The thread to Democracy has to be a thick one.

It seems that the real issue here is that to fight evil requires evil. So try to restrict the period of counter-evil.

Doug M

Expand Edited by dmarker2 Jan. 2, 2002, 02:56:16 AM EST
     Independent newspapers - (bconnors) - (7)
         I agree, and here's what I'm doing about it - (mhuber)
         "CONSENT of the Governed" - (Ashton) - (1)
             Inauguration is January 20th, I get > 3.03 years. :( - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: USA-PATRIOT Act - (dmarker2) - (2)
             Sorry, I don't buy it. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Re: Sorry, I don't buy it. - Nup - the timing was my issue - (dmarker2)
         Re: A connundrum - public trials - (dmarker2)

Ohh... they're still working.
56 ms