buying-up ISPs by the bushel - it's not an entirely absurd idea IMhO.

As to the efficacy of govmint regs. - Enron seems an adequate indicator that: *nothing* could be sillier than relying upon 'ethical principles' applying, amongst those already besotted by ez-wealth gained through artifice (which many confuse with 'hard work' -- In A Suit? Hard? Work??) Enron honchos even hung out with prominent other oilmen (a couple working for peanut salaries for about another 3 years, until they can get back to the Big money).

Hey.. they stole some of *my money* last year in the big power scam (with convenient 'shutdowns for maintenance' to force spot purchase at their conspiratorial rates) ! I want some back, too.

Now whether the CIEIOs of Enron are forced to contribute their insider Diamond Parachutes to some of the losers? whether the entire matter is investigated by a Govmint Committeee (not consisting solely of Other EIEIOs) - will probably give a hint as to how soon the ISP thing is looked at, too. However that goes, there is certain to be a blizzard of self-serving disinformation, as learned from Microsloth and its now countless wannabes. (Who learned it from Paul Joseph G\ufffdbbels)

My ISP.. is in a large room full of racks and wires such as most of you must look at daily; comfortably warm. Either Rob or Ron seem to be there about 16/6 and the PFY fills in. Reminds me of a 'control room' in another field. But how long can they last ??

That, to me is the pre-question before we look for regulating, like any other utility.

Ashton
There are those who love the fantasy of 'a self-regulating MarketPlace' and then.. there's the other 95% who notice how it was that - the 5% got more than half of it all.