Okay, it turns out that I hadn't changed the default after all, but what I was doing made it appear I had. When I was copying the text of the letter to be moved each time, I was also collecting the bad formatting and pasting it in as well. John explained I needed to paste special and the formatting would not have gone in to each new file I tried to make. I had known about pasting special when pasting between programs, but he had never told me I needed to paste special from Word to Word. Now I know if there is weird stuff happening, paste special.

I also learned that when using a section break, EACH section can be individually formatted. The original way I've been doing that was set up to simply number sequentially, but somehow I told it to number each section sequentially which is why I ran into the problem. John went into the bad file, formatted each section separately, with section one starting at page 1, and section 2 starting at page 2, and it works now.

Oh, and regarding Normal.dot, that file is very different on my computer, because John has it set up to not automatically save every time something changes on it. It prompts us instead, and I always say no, unless I deliberately wanted to change it. So we have various things set up differently, like it won't automatically spell and grammar check, for example, I run it when I want to, so we didn't mess with that file, as it wasn't the problem. :)

Thank you all for your help, and I sure learned something new about Word.

Brenda