IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New REBOL gets you there the fastest
But then its networking is at such a level that it probably won't teach the lesson that you are trying to convey.

I'd recommend Python as well. Java's not too shabby when it comes to the networking portion, but you'd have to teach a lot of the language before you can get to the matter at hand.
New Agreed.
Python is a great teaching language. It reads like pseudocode, it's not *too* high-level, and it's powerful enough to do just about anything.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I considered Java briefly
because I really like the java.net API.

Now, if the class were only my programmers (familiar with C++), I probably would have gone with Java.

With my e-biz folks, though, python or something similar seemed like a better bet.

I can give them the basics fairly quickly and for the networking stuff hand out some sample code.

Tom Sinclair

In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the
cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat
could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
-- Schrodinger's Moggy explained
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Definietly not Java or anything with a compiler
they'll get lost in the build process and miss the lesson you are trying to teach.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Granted

I only considered it for brief moment.

A scripting language is much better for this scenario since they can make changes and test right away.

So far it looks like my initial choice of python is holding up, but I'm still open to other options if anyone has one.

Tom Sinclair

"Not a man to mince words. People, yes. But not words."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
     Simple network programming language? - (tjsinclair) - (51)
         Python. - (folkert)
         What Greg said. - (admin) - (3)
             That's exactly what I was thinking - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                 cautions, cause.. - (cforde) - (1)
                     Understood - (tjsinclair)
         REBOL gets you there the fastest - (ChrisR) - (4)
             Agreed. - (admin)
             I considered Java briefly - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                 Definietly not Java or anything with a compiler - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Granted - (tjsinclair)
         perl, creating sockets and listening is fairly easy -NT - (boxley) - (35)
             Thanks for the tip - (tjsinclair)
             But not as readable as Python. - (admin) - (33)
                 This isn't readable? - (broomberg) - (32)
                     Ben could reduce that to about 12 characters... ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (15)
                         Of course he could - (broomberg) - (14)
                             :-) Yup, but in Python one can't do that. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                 Hmm - (broomberg) - (10)
                                     Write That Code! - (Another Scott)
                                     Sorry I'm late to the Party ... Ruby Version - (JimWeirich) - (8)
                                         Where's the error handling? - (admin) - (7)
                                             I wouldn't bet that it is missing - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                 OK, fine... but - (admin) - (5)
                                                     As I said... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Near enough to Python, then. - (admin) - (3)
                                                             Re: Near enough to Python, then. - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                                 As I said... - (admin) - (1)
                                                                     Ahh, makes me long for the old days - (broomberg)
                             Oops. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             ICJRLPD (new thread) - (inthane-chan)
                     As I said, "not AS readable as the Python" - (admin) - (15)
                         Not bad - (broomberg) - (4)
                             What. He. Said. - (jb4) - (3)
                                 WTF do YOU think it has on it...? - (admin)
                                 I don't think you'll be surprised. (img) - (Another Scott)
                                 Hiss - (ChrisR)
                         Wel, it's beautiful code - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                             Use the socket libraries then. - (admin)
                             It's introduction to networking - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                                 I'd go with socket basics. - (jake123) - (6)
                                     Re: I'd go with socket basics. - (admin) - (5)
                                         Didn't say it would take very long - (jake123) - (3)
                                             Programming Languages will influence the model - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                 Indeed - (jake123) - (1)
                                                     Definitely want high level languages - (tjsinclair)
                                         Yep. -NT - (Arkadiy)
         I'd suggest Ruby... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             I believe I stole that example from it - (broomberg)
             I'm thinking of quick and dirty HOWTO here - (tjsinclair)
         Consider Object REXX - (jake123) - (1)
             Thanks for the reminder - (tjsinclair)

You hijacked the conversation. You get to land it.
143 ms