IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Imagine if she had a "REAL" crisis...
I would be planning a "mission trip" in her future. Maybe some charity work in a shelter or something. She needs to understand how the other 90% live. Perhaps if she had to live the garage for a week or two, with no shower or bath.

I made the mistake recently of getting cable TV. I've had cable Internet for a while, but they made an offer last May where they would give me basic cable with my Internet for $5 LESS a month.

I thought it would be cool to have Discovery, The History Channel, CNN, ESPN, etc. But now we have only 4 Channels: Disney, Cartoon Network, Nick, and Kids WB. Unless the kids are in bed, both TVs are on one of the 4 stations.

We kept Netflix, thinking it would be the "Mommy Daddy" movie. My son changes the Queue, and the last 5 movies have been kid movies.

We're taking "extreme" measures, having physically unplugged the cable from the wall or back of the TV twice in the last week. Basically, if the kids won't come to dinner, or do their chores, then the cable is turned "off" for the day. We get some whining, but they eventually comply.

My work is so busy, and hers is so busy, that we don't have time for movies anyway. We should probably just save the $10 a month.

So, I have a strong willed child, but when he figures out I mean business, then he falls into line. Actually, he's a model citizen at school and church. There, I have to worry about the middle and the youngest. They act like angels when parents are around, then attempt to "eat out" the pantry if we go upstairs to work. I've been thinking about locking the pantry with a key lock. Our freezer locks. If only the fridge would lock and we would be set.

The doc recommended a book called "Parenting with Love and Logic", so maybe I need to buy it.

Glen Austin
Expand Edited by gdaustin Sept. 13, 2005, 12:47:33 AM EDT
New That's "extreme"??
TV should be the exception, not the rule.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Imagine if she had a "REAL" crisis...
The doc recommended a book called "Parenting with Love and Logic", so maybe I need to buy it.

There's some great practical advice in that book. As with any book of that type, though, it depends on the kid. I'd say a lot of kids would respond well to the techniques they propose (my son did), but some won't. Just like some won't respond to anything but a swift kick in the ass.
--
Steve
New we don't have cable either...
for many of the same reasons. What we do have is a collection of videos (on tape and disc). The pause/stop button works really well. It took a little bit to convince them that when they come for dinner, they really aren't going to miss anything. And yes, the movie will continue exactly where it is in the morning. That and the vast majority of stuff on the broadcast networks isn't worth seeing to begin with. Books, toys and games are much better alternatives.

Parenting with Love and Logic is an excellent book. I also recommend [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060014318|"kids are worth it!"] by Barbara Coloroso. Hmmm, I just noticed that those two books are sitting next to each other in my bookcase. Might be time for me to read them again...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New I can vouch
for the Parenting with Love and Logic book. I had the good fortune to actually hear Foster Kline give the lecture. It really puts things in their proper perspective.

I love how he relates discipline to being a cop. A cop ordinarily doesn't shout at you when you break the law. He calmly tells you the infraction, deals with you with a modicum of respect and how many times have you thanked a cop when he gave you a ticket?

If you can deal with your kid in that way, it takes the emotion out of things and bases itself in fact. Cause and effect, freedom and responsibility.

Really helped me when I was first navigating the parental waters.

Peace,
Amy

Pray for the survivors of Katrina.
New I'm reading that book right now
So far, it makes a lot of sense.
     My cable died for an hour tonight. - (broomberg) - (27)
         You know what this means... (new thread) - (Another Scott)
         She sounds just like - (imqwerky) - (17)
             I know - (broomberg) - (15)
                 This whole thing reminds me how glad I am I never had kids. - (n3jja) - (14)
                     {the infamous Unborn-zygote thanks you, I wot.} -NT - (Ashton)
                     you want to take in my 13yo? - (boxley) - (4)
                         "nice man"?? WTF did that come from? - (n3jja) - (3)
                             Compared to the Box, that's downright civilized. ;) -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             Sounds a little like my methods - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                 Sounds.... appropriate - (Ashton)
                     I completely relate - (Nightowl)
                     That's the way I lean too - (lister) - (2)
                         Well, things are much more efficient without them, for one. -NT - (Ashton)
                         A small child is a noise, with dirt on it :) -NT - (Meerkat)
                     Pregnancy is a parasitic infection. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Well MY kids are perfect! - (imqwerky)
                         That's how I viewed pregnancy - (bionerd) - (1)
                             That's not all! - (a6l6e6x)
             You have no idea what you just offered -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Imagine if she had a "REAL" crisis... - (gdaustin) - (5)
             That's "extreme"?? - (admin)
             Re: Imagine if she had a "REAL" crisis... - (Steve Lowe)
             we don't have cable either... - (cforde)
             I can vouch - (imqwerky) - (1)
                 I'm reading that book right now - (bionerd)
         Re: My cable died for an hour tonight. - (lincoln) - (1)
             Already have permission - (broomberg)

It's like a nuclear blast in the basement.
61 ms