IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rough evening.
I'm sitting in a very swank mountain lodge near Frisco, CO. My sister is getting married tomorrow morning. My wife and I are doing a song during the ceremony, my brother is videotaping and recording everything, my cousin is reading a poem that our grandfather wrote. There are tons of friends and relatives here hailing from CO, SD, NE, MN, and HI.

My uncle, a retired government workers union (AFSCME) big wig, and his wife are wannabe gourmet chefs. They prepared a rehearsal dinner feast that was simply amazing. Italian wedding soup followed by Sicilian Salad, Dijon-Herb roasted potatos, Cannellini beans with Prosciutto, Rotellini pasta with sausage, fennel and onion, and finally Tuscan-style chicken. That coupled with a few glasses of Yellow Tail Chardonnay made for a delicious start to this festive weekend.

After dinner, I had a bit of a headache, so went to our room to lie down for awhile. When I woke up about an hour later, a party was in full swing. Most of the rest of the guests that weren't part of the rehearsal had arrived. It was great fun.

Rather suddenly, my Uncle Jerry from MN (Inver Grove Heights, Joe) decided he needed to leave. So he, his wife, 3 of his kids, and my Uncle Bob were headed for the door, with everyone saying their goodbyes. Suddenly, Jerry collapsed into a chair. His face turned an ashen white, his eyes rolled back into his head, he broke out in a sweat and then was out like a light. I dashed through the house and grabbed the first cell phone I could find and called 911. After a minute or two of trying to figure out exactly the address where we were, I had EMTs on the way. Fortunately, there was also an EMT and an RN in attendance who immediately went to work.

He regained consciousness a short while before the ambulance arrived. They hooked him up with some oxygen and put him on an EKG machine. A few minutes later, after a bit of arguing and a phone call to the ER physician, they were on their way to the hospital.

Most of us were thinking that he was having altitude issues. For those of you who don't know, the air is quite 'thin' up here, meaning it has less oxygen than the air at sea level. This can cause a myriad of health problems until one's system becomes accustomed to it. I believe that's why I had a headache earlier in the evening, actually. Uncle Jerry's symptoms are congruent with someone having a more severe reaction to a sudden change in altitude. However, they drove here from MN, so the change in altitude for them was very gradual over 2 days and usually the gradual change helps ones system to adjust easier.

But, I digress. They took him to the local hospital and figured he would be released within a couple of hours. He's still there. They think he had a mild stroke. They were prepping him for a CAT scan when I left the hospital about an hour ago.

If you feel led or inspired, please send up a prayer or some good thoughts our way. Thanks.

One more thing I need to share. My dad died from melanoma a little over 10 years. It was the hardest thing to watch him die over an extended period. And since this is my sister's wedding, she has asked me to walk her down the aisle in his place..something I feel incredibly honored by. This to say that missing our dad has been on all of our minds at this time. My Uncle Jerry and my dad could've been twins, they looked so much alike. Seeing him turn white and watching he eyes roll back into his head was almost exactly how my dad looked the day he died. My sister nearly fainted herself at the sight.

Anyway, sorry about the lengthy story, it was therapeutic to write it all out.
--
Steve
New Re: Rough evening.
One thing about a close shave.. when the Worst doesn't happen, there are usually those neat 'relief'-endorphins (as a kinda shoddy bonus?) Maybe with enough creative carousing, especially on such an encouraging occasion -- you'll be able to run with those :-)

Just don't try .. Not-thinking of an elephant; y'hear ?!

Cheers,

Ashton

New Best thoughts on the way
Try to stay positive and enjoy the wedding. Don't let things you have no control over ruin the event.
Good luck!
New Thoughts, prayers, and well wishes sent your way.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Hoping all goes well.
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New I hope everything turns out all right...
Prayers on the way...
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Thanks for sharing
It was rough to experience, and rough to describe, but hopefully it will work out OK.
Hang in there.
New Best of luck to everyone.
Jerry was very lucky to get medical attention so quickly. What happened sounds very much like what happened to my FIL a couple of times - he stopped breathing and turned white. In his case, it was due to a narrowing in his trachea (due to his scoliosis) that made it too difficult to breathe. We were able to get him breathing again (lying him down, getting oxygen to him, etc.) and an ambulance came quickly. He seemed to have no adverse effects due to the incidents.

Jerry having difficulty after standing up to leave might be an idicator too. When one stands up, especially when one is elderly, one's bloodpressure drops. In high altitude that can make it even more likely to faint. Unfortunately, strokes are more likely to happen in cases of low blood pressure as well.

I'm sure they'll check him out thoroughly. Ask questions of the physicians so that you know what to look for in the future, and so that you know what medication (if any) he will be on. Almost all meds have side effects that can be subtle but important. If he had a stroke, make sure he gets therapy and works at it. Recovery depends on intensive work to get the rest of the brain to take over the damaged functions.

But don't worry about Jerry now. He's in good hands. Have fun at the wedding! Enjoy your moment in the spotlight with the bride too. :-)

Best wishes to Jerry and the happy couple. Hang in there.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wow. I'll send happy thoughts
especially to your sister. Hope she is holding everything together. What a rough thing to face on the eve of her wedding.
I hope all goes well.

I, like you, find it helpful to write when things are bugging me.
Hang in there.
laura
New Hang in there
that sucks mixing the sad in with the happy like that.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:47:10 PM EDT
New Lets hope it was alititude related, prayers sent
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New All the best; hope it's minor to nothing.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Here's hoping for the best
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Wow, rough indeed!
Best thoughts coming your way... Hopefully, the walk down the isle proceeds smoothly. You're right, it is an honor.

-Slugbug
New rough indeed
thoughts & prayers that he will be ok headed your way
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Wow! I hope all goes well.
Best of luck to your sister!
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New Thanks everyone
My Uncle seems OK. The cat scan was negative, they no longer think it was a stroke. Doctor did make him leave, though. Told them to get below 5000ft so they left to head back to MN first thing this morning. My aunt and cousin were both sick with stomach problems this morning, so they've all headed back, missing the wedding. Doc says his blood pressure is pretty low, that and the high altitude probably caused it, but advised he go in for cardiac screening once he gets home.

Wedding was beautiful, I'll post some pics in a couple of days.

Thanks so much for the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers.
Gratefully,
Steve
New Now for the good news
From now on, whenever you talk to him you get to mention the time they did a brain scan and didn't find anything.

ba-dump tssshhhh

Glad to hear it seems to be coming out okay.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Duplicate...ignore

Pray for the survivors of Katrina.
Expand Edited by imqwerky Sept. 11, 2005, 02:48:46 PM EDT
New Love and healing thoughts (Gahh! hit the wrong reply button)
(meant to respond to Steve, not Drew. And I'm not even that high above sea-level. :-/)

Glad to hear that it wasn't as serious as first thought. Am keeping you, Jerry and all your family in my prayers.

Peace,
Amy

Pray for the survivors of Katrina.
New Sorry I wasn't in here yesterday
Had some drama of my own, but yours puts mine in more perspective.

Prayers are on the way today for everything to be okay.

Brenda

"Excel is to math what a Microwave Oven is to cooking!"
New Belated & superfluous but still: Good thoughts being thought
New Good thoughts on the way.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Good thoughts on the way!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Rough evening. - (Steve Lowe) - (23)
         Re: Rough evening. - (Ashton)
         Best thoughts on the way - (hnick)
         Thoughts, prayers, and well wishes sent your way. -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Hoping all goes well. -NT - (Silverlock)
         I hope everything turns out all right... - (imric)
         Thanks for sharing - (broomberg)
         Best of luck to everyone. - (Another Scott)
         Wow. I'll send happy thoughts - (bionerd)
         Hang in there - (tuberculosis)
         Lets hope it was alititude related, prayers sent -NT - (boxley)
         All the best; hope it's minor to nothing. -NT - (jake123)
         Here's hoping for the best -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Wow, rough indeed! - (slugbug)
         rough indeed - (cforde)
         Wow! I hope all goes well. - (a6l6e6x)
         Thanks everyone - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
             Now for the good news - (drewk) - (2)
                 Duplicate...ignore -NT - (imqwerky)
                 Love and healing thoughts (Gahh! hit the wrong reply button) - (imqwerky)
             Sorry I wasn't in here yesterday - (Nightowl)
         Belated & superfluous but still: Good thoughts being thought -NT - (CRConrad)
         Good thoughts on the way. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Good thoughts on the way! -NT - (jb4)

I'd sooner jump up and down on one foot.
172 ms