IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Katrina Refugee Camps Locked Down
[link|http://www.denverpost.com/carman/ci_3006502|http://www.denverpos...carman/ci_3006502]

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought I was peering through the fence at a concentration camp.

The signs on the buildings say "Community College of Aurora," though for now they're serving as an impromptu Camp Katrina. About 160 hurricane survivors are being housed in the dorms, surrounded by fences, roadblocks, security guards and enough armed police officers to invade Grenada.

There's a credentials unit to process every visitor, an intake unit to provide identification tags and a bag of clothes to every evacuee, several Salvation Army food stations, portable toilets, shuttle buses, a green army-tent chapel with church services three times a day and a communications team to keep reporters as far away from actual news as possible.
----------
[link|http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/fema.html|http://www.abovetops...m/forum/fema.html]

I'm extremely depressed to report that things seem to only be getting sadder concerning the people so devastatingly affected by Katrina last week. Two car loads of us headed over to Falls Creek, a youth camp for Southern Baptist churches in Oklahoma that agreed to have its facilities used to house Louisiana refugees. I'm afraid the camp is not going to be used as the kind people of the churches who own the cabins believe it was going to be used.

Jesse Jackson was right when he said "refugees" was not the appropriate word for the poor souls dislocated due to Katrina. But he was wrong about why it is not appropriate. It's not appropriate because they are detainees, not refugees.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:41:22 PM EDT
New And it will probably get worse
This isn't some short term disaster we here. It's not put them up for a week or two and then send them home. Most of these people will be lucky if they can go home in six months.

Conditions are bad now, in a few months when the US population begins to forget about them it will probably get worse.
Jay
New This part disgusts me. (From second link)
He then precedes to tell us that some churches had already enquired into whether they could send a van or bus on Sundays to pick up any occupants of their cabins who might be interested in attending church. FEMA will not allow this. The occupants of the camp cannot leave the camp for any reason. If they leave the camp they may never return. They will be issued FEMA identification cards and "a sum of money" and they will remain within the camp for the next 5 months.

My son looks at me and mumbles "Welcome to Krakow."

My mother then asked if the churches would be allowed to come to their cabin and conduct services if the occupants wanted to attend. The response was "No ma'am. You don't understand. Your church no longer owns this building. This building is now owned by FEMA and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. They have it for the next 5 months." This scares my mother who asks "Do you mean they have leased it?" The man replies, "Yes, ma'am...lock, stock and barrel. They have taken over everything that pertains to this facility for the next 5 months."

The poor will always be with you... So stick 'em in a stockade for five months, then forcibly repatriate them.
When somebody asks you to trade your security for freedom, it isn't your freedom they're talking about.
New Interment Camps, v2.0
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Well, they'll iron out the wrinkles, I'm sure
Homeland Security's just doing the best they can to devise a system reasonably effective in keeping the undeserving hordes from taking undue advantage of the American People's generosity and love of freedom. This is DHS's holy mission, their "people's mandate", if you will, received straight from the Commander in Chief after his Tranfiguration at the Place of Ground Zero (twin|cracked|burning tablets|towers|bush).

I'm sure they'll soon find a way to track the evacuees at their new places of work and make sure they return safely to their designated domiciles, and behave properly too or else.

Just think, and wonder at the hidden farsightedness of our leaders, and give thanks: for lo, if once we learn how to properly take care of the NO evacuees, we will have at hand also a solution to our immigration/guest worker problem...

Just say no soft-headed, half-hearted measures -- and trust that those to whom God has entrusted His Country will not rest until the system they put in place is so self-evidently good for our country that opposition to it will be clearly, glaringly, obviously tantamount to treason.
Have whatever values you have. That's what America is for.
You don't need George Bush for that.
New Tracking? Hey it's All about I.D. (no, not That one) __RFID
surely soon to be, via the miracle of Fatherland Eugenics/Electronics LLC: subcutaneous.

New LOL...
Your church no longer owns this building. This building is now owned by FEMA and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. They have it for the next 5 months." This scares my mother who asks "Do you mean they have leased it?" The man replies, "Yes, ma'am...lock, stock and barrel. They have taken over everything that pertains to this facility for the next 5 months."

What, no cries of outrage over property rights?
New You do what you know how to do
This administration knows how to detain people.

That said I can kind of see the rationale. You have here a huge disaster and a ton of people who are going to get lots of aid. There are lots of people who weren't in the disaster who might want on the gravy train, and they are trying to keep them out.

But still I can't help wondering what their biggest fear here might be. Could it be that actual Katrina survivors will get real jobs and integrate themselves into other communities? As boxley could easily point out, this wouldn't be the first time that the Federal government has forced large groups of people to become needy so that the government can then feel justified in having a bureaucracy built around providing for their needs.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Reports of job providers being turned away from camps
in Colorado, a construction contractor showed up at the relief camp set up at Lowery AFB looking for 2 workers - willing to train - good rates. Denied access at the gate.

I don't get it. Seems like we'd want them to get onto their own feet fast lest we create a new welfare based status quo.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:43:02 PM EDT
New fun in Florida too
[link|http://www.wesh.com/news/4951969/detail.html|Stay Out: Florida Subdivision Bans Hurricane Evacuees]
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Mighty chrustian of them

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:45:15 PM EDT
New yea, they cried and apologised and did it anyway
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New These 'associations' are known as Grated Communities

New Surely some room at that day-camp, 'Pelican Bay', isn't it?

Katrina Refugee Camps Locked Down - (tuberculosis) - (13)
         And it will probably get worse - (JayMehaffey)
         This part disgusts me. (From second link) - (inthane-chan) - (4)
             Interment Camps, v2.0 -NT - (jb4)
             Well, they'll iron out the wrinkles, I'm sure - (GBert) - (1)
                 Tracking? Hey it's All about I.D. (no, not That one) __RFID - (Ashton)
             LOL... - (Simon_Jester)
         You do what you know how to do - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Reports of job providers being turned away from camps - (tuberculosis)
         fun in Florida too - (SpiceWare) - (3)
             Mighty chrustian of them -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 yea, they cried and apologised and did it anyway -NT - (boxley)
             These 'associations' are known as Grated Communities -NT - (Ashton)
         Surely some room at that day-camp, 'Pelican Bay', isn't it? -NT - (Ashton)

Inside, they're not answering.
140 ms