IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Aren't feathers same as fur with really bad split ends?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:41:15 PM EDT
New Not really. It's topology at work.
I recall a biologist explaining the difference between the evolution of feathers and hair this way:

You have a planar surface interface between the animal and the environment. The plane can change in 2 ways. It can locally bend up or or it can locally bend down. From that basic starting point, skin coverings evolved 2 ways. If the skin bends up, you have feathers or scales. If it bends down, you have hair.

[link|http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~cmchuong/2003JEZAdapt.pdf|This] 15 page .pdf discusses these issues in more detail with lots of pretty pictures.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Whew! That's big! 68 kB .img - (Another Scott) - (14)
         I see they've update sufficiently . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             I guess Todd was just a few 100,000,000 years off then. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Aren't feathers same as fur with really bad split ends? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Not really. It's topology at work. - (Another Scott)
         That looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie - (bionerd) - (9)
             Oh, they look pretty efficient . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Re: evolutionary design flaw - (hnick) - (7)
                 But . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     A meteor will help with that -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         As will volcanos. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Good point. - (bionerd) - (3)
                         I imagine they were used in some courtship ritual too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             'Dear Diary: today my heart leapt when Agent Scully - (Ashton)
                             Makes me glad the only thing I have to contend with - (bionerd)

So, what we gonna do tonight, Bwain?
48 ms