IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New PVCS and the past
Oh, I've worked with PVCS in the past - it wasn't a bad solution circa 1985 or so. But, it is certainly past its 'best if used by' date.

The only non vendor [Not Serena or a related] site I've found that even mentions PVCS is someting called 'cmcrossroads.com' - browsing their message pages related to PVCS indicates that no one is willingly _starting_ a project using it.

We have some structural issues with the existing PVCS archive organization [need to re-organized their internal structure], so there would not appear to be any time savings relative to moving to a non PVCS system [e.g. subversion].

An advantage here is we are not concerned with supporting any older revisions - just the current production server and the next revision.

A disadvantage is corperate reluctance to use free/open software - even when it is clearly a better choice.
New Re: PVCS and the past
One thing we noticed with PVCS vs. Subversion is the speed: svn is amazingly fast in comparison.

Importing a directory of images and static HTML took PVCS over an hour (file share to a very fast disk array).

The same operation in svn took about 10 seconds (dav-svn/apache2 running on a PIII-800).
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New PVCS is a dog...especially on Unix.
New Watcha got against dogs? They're nice; PVCS isn't
     Revision control comparison - (dlevitt) - (7)
         I'd be suspicious of anything associated with PVCS - (admin) - (1)
             Ditto - she's a dog -NT - (tuberculosis)
         Talked to a friend of mine... - (Yendor) - (4)
             PVCS and the past - (dlevitt) - (3)
                 Re: PVCS and the past - (admin) - (2)
                     PVCS is a dog...especially on Unix. -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         Watcha got against dogs? They're nice; PVCS isn't -NT - (hnick)

Drugs.
84 ms