IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Talked to a friend of mine...
...who is an SCM type, and has worked with PVCS as well as others in the past.

I posted your message to her, and here's what she had to say (over IM):

[Serena] is one of the best.
The only real gotcha is that you have to know what your going to do when you first set it up for the upgrade. You can't plan as you go or it will take you more time in the long run and just move over the code to a fresh new project and blow it away. though this doesn't sound like much it is time consuming.
That being said, I've worked with PVCS before and, like Scott, I wasn't all that impressed by it. I'd much rather use CVS or SVN. But I'd also rather use PVCS than MS VSS.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New PVCS and the past
Oh, I've worked with PVCS in the past - it wasn't a bad solution circa 1985 or so. But, it is certainly past its 'best if used by' date.

The only non vendor [Not Serena or a related] site I've found that even mentions PVCS is someting called 'cmcrossroads.com' - browsing their message pages related to PVCS indicates that no one is willingly _starting_ a project using it.

We have some structural issues with the existing PVCS archive organization [need to re-organized their internal structure], so there would not appear to be any time savings relative to moving to a non PVCS system [e.g. subversion].

An advantage here is we are not concerned with supporting any older revisions - just the current production server and the next revision.

A disadvantage is corperate reluctance to use free/open software - even when it is clearly a better choice.
New Re: PVCS and the past
One thing we noticed with PVCS vs. Subversion is the speed: svn is amazingly fast in comparison.

Importing a directory of images and static HTML took PVCS over an hour (file share to a very fast disk array).

The same operation in svn took about 10 seconds (dav-svn/apache2 running on a PIII-800).
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New PVCS is a dog...especially on Unix.
New Watcha got against dogs? They're nice; PVCS isn't
     Revision control comparison - (dlevitt) - (7)
         I'd be suspicious of anything associated with PVCS - (admin) - (1)
             Ditto - she's a dog -NT - (tuberculosis)
         Talked to a friend of mine... - (Yendor) - (4)
             PVCS and the past - (dlevitt) - (3)
                 Re: PVCS and the past - (admin) - (2)
                     PVCS is a dog...especially on Unix. -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         Watcha got against dogs? They're nice; PVCS isn't -NT - (hnick)

We're on a mission from GRR.
66 ms