IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Many thanks for nifty intro
If Apple isn't the new Swiss Army Knife ... dunno what is. Now if an Apple dealer had said the same thing (!) Thus far has bizness credibility fallen.. to ~0. Looking forward to next query, what should I do?

(Will show him/her this thread) Maybe learn along with newbie. Two birds; one stoned. My main point would be (in advance): HW cost is a Red Herring, when you consider the tribulations of lock-in, in bed with The Beast; or the learning curve to maintain by yourself, a Linux install - from the point of only GUI experience in an office.

Just one other consideration: I grok the reasons why a full backup of Windoze demands an image - too many open files, etc. Is a full backup of OS- 9 or X equivalent: a Ghost-like image save, partition by partition?

That is, thinking newbie EZ-save/restore. If you have full data backups, a complete restoration ever beats minute troubleshooting - unless you just like problem solving. Most users don't like or can't do.

{sniff} no more SpinRite though.. :( Doubt you could get through DOS-emulator layer to the guts, as SR must. Oh Well - at $100 a pop, who needs to test HDs anymore?

Thanks again,

Ashton
New Backup/Restore
Don't have an exact answer to this, but I'll try anyway.

As far as I know, there isn't an equivalent to Ghost on the Mac OS side except for Apple Software Restore, a utility that will let you create a bootable installer CD with all of your apps (poss. data as well) on it.

I've also seen instructions for creating a custom OS X installer CD on the net as well.
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

"Well, basically there are two sorts of opera,' said Nanny, who also had
the true witch's ability to be confidently expert on the basis of no
experience whatsoever. 'There's your heavy opera, where basically people
sing foreign and it goes like "Oh oh oh, I am dyin', oh, I am dyin', oh,
oh, oh, that's what I'm doin'", and there's your light opera, where they
sing in foreign and it basically goes "Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! I like to
drink lots of beer!", although sometimes they drink champagne instead.
That's basically all of opera, really."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Maskerade)
New But there's Tosca: Ya want me? Over your dead body Scarpia!
     stopping 3 year old hackers - (boxley) - (26)
         Re: stopping 3 year old hackers - (wharris2) - (1)
             >=6 <=8 non alphas present for most sys - (boxley)
         He heh heh, 3 year old cracker - (nking) - (2)
             No, fairly complex passwd I am sure it is a single mode key - (boxley) - (1)
                 Command + s on bootup = single user mode. - (Another Scott)
         Re: stopping 3 year old hackers - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             powered off unplugged :) -NT - (boxley)
         There most certainly is a single user mode - (tuberculosis) - (18)
             Indeed - (tjsinclair) - (17)
                 Thanks for review of OSX, Tom! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     I got a bit carried away - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                         hey I said in 1986 that if they wanted a useful OS (to me) - (boxley) - (1)
                             You're welcome - (tjsinclair)
                 Good God, did Apple do something right? - (wharris2) - (1)
                     You can't go wrong copying *BSD Unix - (nking)
                 Stop it! - (static) - (10)
                     Umm me too.. by proxy at least. - (Ashton) - (9)
                         well the imac comes pre-installed with office software - (boxley) - (8)
                             Thanks, noted for ref. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                 Alternate Apple browsers on OS X - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                                     Yabut that's... - (Ashton) - (5)
                                         Actually, OS X is very newbie friendly.. - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                                             Many thanks for nifty intro - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 Backup/Restore - (tjsinclair)
                                                 But there's Tosca: Ya want me? Over your dead body Scarpia! -NT - (Ashton)
                                             LRPD sez:When someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES! -NT - (Ashton)

I slipped him a fin... on porpoise. I was feeling good. I even dropped a sanddollar in the box for Jerry's squids, for the halibut.
109 ms