IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Especially after the big dig
I was in Boston and northern Mass last week. A friend living there got a new car with one of them nav computers in it. Fancy stuff. It worked practically flawless everywhere except certain parts of Boston where streets and exits have changed or disappeared. On our way to No Name on the south side for dinner one night we couldn't take an exit that the navcomp wanted since it no longer existed. When we surfaced the car jumped from one road to the other running parallel to it. Quite funny. :-)

One thing neat is how after programming a route in, if you go off it, the computer would automatically readjust the route to get to your destination. Sometimes the route would get rather interesting depending on what weights you use for highways, tolls, roads, etc. I was anticipating the female computer voice to finally say "WHAT...THE...HELL...ARE...YOU...DOING?!?!" after it readjusted over 20 minutes of ignoring it. Heh.

When I buy my next car it's definitely going to have one of them things despite being able to read maps well and have a good sense of direction.
lister
New Good point!
How well does Inthane's sense work when navigating through underground tunnels? :-)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Car Navigation systems - (tjsinclair) - (33)
         Re: Car Navigation systems - (Yendor)
         I Love Sat Nav - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Re: I Love Sat Nav - (tjsinclair)
             What's the fallback? - (drewk) - (3)
                 What I do right now - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                     huh? didnt feel comfortable enough to explore? - (boxley) - (1)
                         Chalk it up to timidity in strange environs - (tjsinclair)
             As someone who's perpetually at square one... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                 Can you fit street maps for all of Oz in one directory? - (drewk) - (1)
                     No. - (static)
         My dad has one. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
             Great phrase, PizzaDeliverySense. Now explain, please. -NT - (tjsinclair) - (9)
                 Simple. - (inthane-chan) - (8)
                     I also always know which way North is, instinctively. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                         I'd like you to test this ability out in Boston, MA :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Easy - (drewk) - (4)
                                 You forget... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     Concur - (Ashton)
                                     Especially after the big dig - (lister) - (1)
                                         Good point! - (ben_tilly)
                     Great! - (tjsinclair)
         A funny anecdote: - (imqwerky) - (2)
             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             My wife and I joked about that - (tjsinclair)
         I have a Garmin iQue3600 PDA/GPS system. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             You bring up a benefit I didn't consider - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                 Well, you do have to ignore the initial attemps... - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                     We usually have maps - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                         No you don't. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                             Maps + local gas stations == cheap GPS -NT - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                 Yes, when local gas stations present. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                             Point taken - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                                 Yep - that got me through some pretty arcane off-ramp - (Ashton)

They got the Discovery Channel, don't they?
178 ms