IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Compiling against the wrong version of the kernel headers?
I've replaced the 3Com with a DLink DFE-530TX+ 10/100. The card comes with a .c driver file, and easy installation instructions. In the process of getting this set up, I realized I'm running kernel 2.4.31, and the CDs I have only have the headers for 2.4.18.

I assume compiling against the wrong version is A Very Bad Thing, and likely to Cause Much Horkage. I did some poking around ftp.debian.org and ftp.kernel.org, but I have no idea WTF I'm looking for - a simple nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.

For the record, I'm mainly sticking with this bullheaded experiment because I want to learn, not because I have huge hopes in it working. I have learned a lot doing this, which is why I want to follow it through.
apt-get install godlike-powers
New Re: Compiling against the wrong version of the kernel header
On both my straight-up-Debian system as well as my Ubuntu system I can't find kernel 2.4.31 anywhere...But that might be the fact that I'm running unstable/Breezy depending on which system you're talking about.

Try running apt-cache search headers | grep 31 -- or some variant of that on the grep side of things -- to find the correct linux-headers-* package to install.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Great, I think it's a custom build.
I know, duh, but I just checked my Debian Sarge system, and the most recent 2.4.x series build is 2.4.27.

Joy. :P
New That probably means you've got the sources locally, too.
That should come with the kernel-headers, unless I've completely missed changes in kernal source file locations in the last few years.

Wade.
Save Fintlewoodlewix
New Moot point now.
The machine is running Fedora. :P
     Compiling against the wrong version of the kernel headers? - (inthane-chan) - (4)
         Re: Compiling against the wrong version of the kernel header - (Yendor) - (3)
             Great, I think it's a custom build. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 That probably means you've got the sources locally, too. - (static) - (1)
                     Moot point now. - (inthane-chan)

'Cause the music rules.
41 ms