IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No, Maybe, No idea

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Just for funsies though-lets eliminate programming tools: 2

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New But Eclipse is more than a programming tool
with the RCP (Rich Client Platform).

Note that Eclipse uses SWT, not Swing or AWT.

Tony
New So's emacs - also Mac version of Eclipse < Windows version

New Used a commercial program based on Eclipse a while ago
Visual Mining's NetCharts design tool is an Eclipse plugin.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New In your opinion, perhaps.
In mine, the apps I mentioned are just fine, and fine examples of production-level, GUI-based Java programming. I find DBVisualiser to be the cleanest of the bunch, but I use NetBeans most often.

I have also used Eclipse for a while, and it too is a fine Java application. I don't use it for reasons that basically boil down to "Eclipse and all of its extensions still don't do a couple of the things that I want out of an IDE." Other than that, though, I find it a fine application.

Let's not forget that You Are Not The God Of All That Is Good And Right In The Java World. I'm not claiming that I am, either, mind you...I'm relating my experiences. And you saying "wrong" does not invalidate my experiences. I will also point you to [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=208591|this post] where [link|/forums/render/user?username=mmoffitt|mmoffitt] claims the same thing, but about a different topic.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New If I thought NetBeans was decent, I wouldn'a paid $ for IDEA
cheap bastard that I am. Ditto Eclipse.

New IDEA >> NetBeans, or anything else.
Except Emacs, of course. :-)

I hope they fix the incremental search in IDEA some time. I might actually consider using it again.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Thinkfree: Java-based MS-Compatible Office Suite. - (Another Scott) - (102)
         Cool! - (imqwerky) - (3)
             What's your verdict Amy? - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                 Not too shabby. - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Please provide updates/impressions (new thread) - (jbrabeck)
         NeoOffice/J derivative? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Nope. Different code base. -NT - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                 Lordy, they're clueless. - (pwhysall)
         Not impressed so far - (pwhysall) - (94)
             Well,... - (mmoffitt) - (88)
                 Idiot. -NT - (pwhysall) - (84)
                     Brits have no sense of humor. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (83)
                         No, we laugh at funny things. - (pwhysall) - (82)
                             Yeah, but only Todd would have meant it -NT - (drewk)
                             Right. Java is great. - (mmoffitt) - (80)
                                 ICLRPD - (boxley)
                                 You're still an idiot, no matter how much you type. -NT - (pwhysall) - (69)
                                     That's the best you got? I'm convinced. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (68)
                                         Shrug. - (pwhysall) - (67)
                                             The best answer to anecdotes are counterexamples... - (jb4) - (66)
                                                 Azureus. Eclipse. NeoOffice/J. -NT - (pwhysall) - (64)
                                                     Google Earth looks very Java-ish, too. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                     MoneyDance. - (admin) - (21)
                                                         2 3... -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Yes, IntelliJ is the Bomb! - (jb4) - (19)
                                                             I use Eclipse for Perl - (pwhysall) - (16)
                                                                 Why? - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                                                     Someone here uses Eclipse for Perl. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                         You aren't changing my impression... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                     Instant perldoc, compile-as-you-type, svn support, etc. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                                         And... - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                             Re: And... - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                 It was a productivity drain even when I was a beginner - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                                     You Are Not Me - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                         Oh, I understand that - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                             I'm puzzled. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                 If you'll notice... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                             FWIW, 175Kloc of Java, no problems in Eclipse or IDEA here - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                 I think that you'd need language support for that... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                     60Kloc Perl, works fine. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                         I'll bet it highlights some non-errors as errors. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                                     I've never heard of this language called "addition" ;-) -NT - (jb4)
                                                             non programmer raises hand - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 "Pretty HTML front end" - (admin)
                                                     NetBeans. DBVisualiser. LimeWire. -NT - (Yendor) - (10)
                                                         No, Maybe, No idea -NT - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                             Just for funsies though-lets eliminate programming tools: 2 -NT - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                 But Eclipse is more than a programming tool - (tonytib) - (2)
                                                                     So's emacs - also Mac version of Eclipse < Windows version -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                                     Used a commercial program based on Eclipse a while ago - (admin)
                                                             In your opinion, perhaps. - (Yendor) - (2)
                                                                 If I thought NetBeans was decent, I wouldn'a paid $ for IDEA - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                     IDEA >> NetBeans, or anything else. - (admin)
                                                         thanks - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             np - (Yendor)
                                                     1 for 3 -NT - (tuberculosis) - (29)
                                                         Hey, Todd. - (pwhysall) - (21)
                                                             Mostly used for enterprise, however - (tuberculosis) - (20)
                                                                 So it's a really short list? - (pwhysall) - (19)
                                                                     Oh very well - (tuberculosis) - (18)
                                                                         Why not ObjC: - (admin) - (17)
                                                                             My impression as well. - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Smalltalk in Objective C - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                 Fine. What does that have to do with anything else? -NT - (admin)
                                                                             Bah - disengaging - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                                                                 Er, no. That wasn't the argument. - (admin) - (12)
                                                                                     Whose argument was that? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                         For Todd, it was here: - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                             Ah. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                     Things were childish long before this - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                                                         Point missed again. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                             Poof -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                                                         Who said a damn thing about development? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                             Hey Peter - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                 That's a lot of words to say... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                                     3 lists posted - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                         Come on up! - (jake123)
                                                                                                     I thought better of you Peter. (new thread) - (static)
                                                         Dunno what your problem with NeoOffice is. - (admin) - (6)
                                                             I don't even use regular office for anything - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                                                 That's not a problem with NeoOffice - (admin) - (4)
                                                                     ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                                     That and it takes too long to start - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                         I leave apps running. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                             I don't -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Jeti. Java-based Jabber client. - (n3jja)
                                 Re: Right. Java is great. - (admin) - (8)
                                     Say the last bit in Howard Dean's voice for full effect.HTH! -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     I'm with ya. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                         That's what you get for being a one-note fiddle. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Not as hard as it does to be you. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 Ooh, politics. - (pwhysall)
                                         If that's the case... - (admin) - (2)
                                             That was over the top. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 Thanks. -NT - (admin)
                 Desktop Java sucks - (warmachine) - (2)
                     Oh, I dunno - (jb4) - (1)
                         Yeah, thanks. -NT - (CRConrad)
             That's it! I'm calling all your mothers... - (imqwerky) - (4)
                 OK, 1.2.3.PILE ON AMY!!! -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     LOL! -NT - (imqwerky)
                 cool down poppa, don't you blow your top... :-) - (cforde) - (1)
                     Don't tax my gig so hardcore, Cruster! - (imqwerky)

To boldly go where no LRPD has gone before.
151 ms