IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Commercial autopilots disengage with control inputs
which was considered to be the cause of crash Eastern 401 into the everglades. IIRC, the crash was caused by 3 geeks in the cockpit paying more attention to a burned out gear indicator bulb than the rest of the dials in the plane. It is believed that a crew member leaned down to fiddle with the panel and in doing so pushed on the yoke with sufficient force as to convince the autopilot that he had assumed control.

So I doubt they were fighting the thing. More likely they simply had no idea what to do and no time to do it. At FL34 you have maybe 10 seconds of useful function before your wetware seizes. It does sound like the decompression sensors/alarm were broken and thus events may have simply overtaken them. if so, the autopilot wouldn't know there was no pressurization and probably would have landed a full load of stiffs but at least the farmers would have been safer.

I have one of those garmin thingies as well but I also know how to work one of [link|http://www.starpath.com/catalog/accessories/1840.htm|these] because, as you note, sometime you might have to do it yourself.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New ;0)
That's why I have one of [link|http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=3635&DID=19|these] in 22T.

I thought I read that whoever was in the cockpit was getting supplemental oxygen - perhaps not. We all know how accurate the reporting of this stuff is...
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New I have one of those
but could never get the hang of it - I found it faster to simply draw the vector triangles and solve them. Might be all those statics/dynamics classes in engineering school.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New You had to know how to work it at least once ;0)
Or did you miss those questions on your written? :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New I programmed an hp 41cx to solve triangles
I've since lost the thing. And you can just draw vectors on the exam as well.

New Looks as though some survived until impact.
ATHENS, Greece -- An autopsy on the body of the co-pilot of a Cyprus airliner that crashed killing all 121 on board shows he was alive when the plane went down, a private Greek television channel has reported.

Coroners were also on Tuesday carrying out autopsies on 26 bodies that had been identified by relatives.

The Helios Boeing 737 had been heading from Larnaca to Athens, and had been due to fly on to Prague. The Helios Airways plane crashed into a mountain near Athens killing all 121 people aboard Sunday.

Examinations of 20 bodies, including that of a flight attendant, have already indicated they were alive when the plane crashed, an Athens coroner said.

[link|http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/08/16/greece.crash/index.html|http://www.cnn.com/2....crash/index.html]
bcnu,
Mikem

New FBM failure in Greece - (tuberculosis) - (11)
         Maybe they should have turned the autopilot off. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
             Points up the need for better autopilots I think - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                 I wonder. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                     Commercial autopilots disengage with control inputs - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                         ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             I have one of those - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                 You had to know how to work it at least once ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     I programmed an hp 41cx to solve triangles - (tuberculosis)
                         Looks as though some survived until impact. - (mmoffitt)
                 No transistors; clever.. Love. It. -NT - (Ashton)
         May not have been rapid decompression - (scoenye)

I don't even think that thing in the middle is a net.
45 ms