IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Perspective is all
Guess we could use the pirates creedo and say that my "improving" and "using" GPL code doesn't amount to theft - since the GPL code is still available to any and all. But that tends to not get us anywhere.

Just as people who write code should be "free" to issue their software under the stupidest license possible, isn't it obvious that we should be just as "free" to persuade them that some licenses are stoopid. Telling them the license sux, doesn't mean that we are knaves and thieves bent on stealing their precious out from under them.

Really, the pro-or-anti business argument is a tad misleading. Truth is that there are some major businesses (e.g. IBM) that commit an enormous amount of manpower and money to open source projects. They do this not out of the kindness of their hearts, but rather out of a conniving plot to make money (especially to keep MS at bay). It would probably be best not to chase these resources away. Not all GPL software is a bunch of kids in the garage trying to stroke their ego.
New Pirates?
Geez, man - that's like saying BSDed code is being stolen when it is not changed and not released.

As for stealing, well, I never said that either. It's quite simply that availabilty of source becomes far less attractive. Fewer programmers will use it in house. Because business wants to get return and advantage for their efforts. No advantage? No effort.
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Pirate analogy is a different issue
It's a common argument against the idea of intellectual property. The argument says that if I "pirate" a copy of your software, I have not taken property away from you - you still have the software. In the same token, if I modify GPL software and start making money from it, I have not taken away the source code from you. My making money from your software does not amount to theft since you still have the source. You may not be able to take advantage of my improvements, but if I wasn't afforded the chance to make money, there'd be no improvements to be redistributed. Anyhow, such arguments don't cut much in the GNU world - which is always odd since they don't believe in IP rights. Anyhow, it's a dead end.

As for why business uses GPL software, the question is a bit more complicated. Some companies would like to make refinements to the software and sell those refinements. Other businesses are only in the business of changing the code for in-house use. And then there are some that try to blend these - ASP sorts of models - where the software is kept in-house but is sold as a service. Finally, some businesses participate fully in GPL software, giving back all modifications to the community - akin to a loss-leader strategy.

I would note that FSF has been vocally opposed to open source licenses that require those that modify the software to make their contributions publically available (even for in-house apps). The JCP being one they have argued against since it requires that you make all modifications available to Sun - Stallman has gone on record saying that this violates the concept of Free Software (though he has many other complaints about JCP that go beyond this one clause). Another license that's been criticized by FSF is the one attached to Squeak, which has a similar clause, though that project is not attached to a corporate entitity.

Personally, I think it's a balancing act that must be made. Lest FSF forget, the purpose of free software is not to prevent others from using or making money off of source code. The purpose is to make as much software available under the GNU terms as possible - and to make that free software as splendid as possible - and to make it as widely used as possible.
New I disagree

under the GNU terms as possible - and to make that free software as splendid as possible - and to make it as widely used as possible.

It is to allow other programmers to learn and build. Everything else is a side effect, not the pupose.
New The original instigation for FSF
arose from the experience with the Unix OS under Bell Labs. Programmers, such as Stallman, wanted access to the source code so that they could make improvements. They wanted to share those improvements with other such programmers. AT&T came in and restricted the redistribution of the source code because they owned the OS and all surrounding utilities.

Now how this translates into whose freedoms are being protected is a different issue. Does this mean that I have to make all modifications available to the community under all circumstances? Well, the GPL does not have that general level of a requirement, as it sought to hone in only on those that attempted to restrict access to source code when it was redistributed. The current question is not whether a programmer is forced to release modifications, but in what circumstances a trigger is met that software is being distributed.

The purpose of the FSF was to build a toolset (and subsequent OS) that was based on the free exchange of source. The goal is to make that toolset as useful as possible, such that one need not use software for which one does not have source. Use of that software in proprietary systems is not antithetical to the FSF, other than in the way it effects the quality of free software. Learning and building are but secondary goals to the overall goal of making a set of free software that can be used by users.

But all this is pure pedantry. The reasons why people contribute to free software is quite varied, as noted by Stallman's constant irritation of Linus' engineering indifference. One of the interesting questions in all this is whether Linux (excuse me, GNU/Linux) will go with a GPLv3 license. Remember that the goals of Linux are not necessarily in alignment with FSF. Sure, some distributions may use it, but there will also be many that don't. And most will simply distribute the various components under whatever license (incompatible or not) that happened to be attached.

MySQL, the other example cited, is much different than either FSF or Linux. It is issued under the GPL by a company that also sells a proprietary version. It is in their interest to prevent other companies from improving and selling MySQL services - since that's how they make some of their money. They'd just as well be the only ones making proprietary improvements - not exactly what you'd call the same goals as FSF. The authors of Jasper Reports is in the process of trying to use this same sort of business model.
     This has been bugging me. - (imric) - (72)
         It's the usual cack. - (pwhysall) - (13)
             Nonsense, Peter. - (imric) - (12)
                 I repeat. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     I care about this, Peter. - (imric) - (2)
                         I don't doubt that you care. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             It's true that it may be less of a problem - (imric)
                 the fact that you dont distribute your software - (boxley) - (1)
                     disgruntled >>--> Whistleblower laws. -NT - (imric)
                 Also, looky here: - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                     Woo hoo. - (imric) - (2)
                         Remember, existing GPLv2 software will remain GPLv2 - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             ROFL - just posted that is a mitigating factor... - (imric)
                     He who controls the compiler... - (ChrisR)
         How is it ridiculous? - (JayMehaffey) - (36)
             Bravo. -NT - (folkert) - (23)
                 Guess you don't want to use application source - (imric) - (22)
                     Here is my grounds for poo-pooing your concern. - (folkert) - (6)
                         No. Wrong. And this is why - (imric) - (5)
                             Exactly the kind of response I expected. - (folkert) - (4)
                                 Horsecrap. - (imric) - (3)
                                     The binaries have not been distributed . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                         And then GPL4. - (imric)
                                         Or most OSS used for web services won't be GPL3 -NT - (tonytib)
                     Another train of thought, I need to mention. - (folkert) - (5)
                         question, using go-global - (boxley) - (1)
                             I knowest not. -NT - (folkert)
                         Since MS software is licenced per user - (imric) - (2)
                             No... there is only one user. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Again, ridiculous. - (imric)
                     Excuse me. I am a programmer. - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                         there is a place for all kinds - (boxley) - (1)
                             Perl's licensing situation is interesting - (ben_tilly)
                         Not at all, Ben. - (imric) - (5)
                             Perspective is all - (ChrisR) - (4)
                                 Pirates? - (imric) - (3)
                                     Pirate analogy is a different issue - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                         I disagree - (broomberg) - (1)
                                             The original instigation for FSF - (ChrisR)
             How is that a 'loophole' unless - (imric) - (11)
                 It's a loophole for the FSF. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=21 - (imric) - (2)
                         Your point? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             I started this - (imric)
                     Business Interests - (ChrisR) - (2)
                         Most businesses... - (pwhysall)
                         Same difference, if the apps are GPLed. -NT - (imric)
                 It's contrary to the spirit of the GPL - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                     Except, of course - (imric) - (2)
                         Not anti-Buisness - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                             *shrug* same as BSD - (imric)
         Sorry Skip, you are lacking some significant clues - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Ruining business? - (imric) - (2)
                 And you're still missing the point - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     And that's what I did - I slept on it. - (imric)
         I was going to say something smart-ass here, - (broomberg) - (14)
             No. You are not listening. Just like the rest. - (imric) - (13)
                 Re: No. You are not listening. Just like the rest. - (bepatient)
                 Religion? - (broomberg) - (5)
                     Listen carefully, now. - (imric) - (4)
                         A collective yawn - (ChrisR) - (3)
                             Long term = 0 - (bepatient)
                             I don't think he's talking about selling mods . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Correct - reselling not the point. - (imric)
                 I think I understand where you're coming from. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Yeah. I think the 'coming fork' is a bad thing, though -NT - (imric)
                 I think this is where you are going wrong - (JayMehaffey)
                 I am not missing this point. - (folkert) - (2)
                     I see what you're saying - (imric) - (1)
                         BTW, this discussion should really be moved to (new thread) - (imric)
         Several things - (ubernostrum) - (1)
             More good points (new thread) - (imric)

The lobsters are coming!
354 ms