Not only didn't it fix her problem, she no longer had internet access and other things were screwed. I've never before seen a Windows 2000 repair cycle turn out so badly.

I tried to uninstall Norton Internet Security but it insisted on Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater and her install was 5.0. Installed 5.5 from the Norton CD and Internet access worked again, the rest didn't. Tried again to uninstall Norton (all Norton software is written by the Devil himself I'm quite certain) and it claimed Windows Installer wasn't installed, offered to install it and errored out. The Windows Installer was already installed, by the way.

Anyway, I cleaned up a few more things, found one common browser hijacking adware program and destructed it. It never caused network problems on other computers so I doubt it was the cause here.

Then I deinstalled both NetBEUI and TCP/IP (I hadn't uninstall TCP/IP yesterday because it was the one thing that was working). Rebooted and reinstalled both protocols and the network worked fine. HP printer drivers were still mashed but otherwise it seemed to work.

When I left it was downloading security patch 37 of 52 from Microsoft Update.