IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The problem has been narrowed down...
In jabber we figured out that my loopback interface is running but has no address. I can't ping localhost. That makes it hard for ssh to use loopback if loopback fails. Here is ifconfig:
\nlo        Link encap:Local Loopback\n          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host\n          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1\n          RX packets:10494 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0\n          TX packets:10494 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0\n          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0\n          RX bytes:3362754 (3.2 MiB)  TX bytes:3362754 (3.2 MiB)\n

Here is /etc/network/interfaces:
\n# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system\n# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).\n\n# The loopback network interface\nauto lo\niface lo inet loopback\n\n# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.\n# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.\nmapping hotplug\n        script grep\n        map eth0\n\n# The primary network interface\niface eth0 inet dhcp\n

This is a very recent (version 5.04 rings a bell with me) version of Ubuntu.

Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Another small step
loopback gets messed up when I run dhconfig. But I can unmess it up (at least somewhat) by running /etc/init.d/networking restart.

I can ping localhost and get a response. I can telnet the port on my end and connect to something. However anything I try to send/receive over that port goes into a black hole. :-(

Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New hmm....
How about writing a script that redoes 127.0.0.1 and sets up the ssh tunnel at the same time.

I'll work on this as soon as I can.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
[image|http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg||||]
New No need now
I can avoid that annoyance with "dhclient ath0".

I got the whole thing to work just fine once I used a co-worker's home machine for the tunnel. (That is how I'm posting now.) And in a day or so I'll be on the plane back. This doesn't come up very often, I'll deal with it when it does.

Cheers,
Ben
     ssh tunnel to squid proxy is failing - (ben_tilly) - (8)
         telnet $farendhost 3128 and see if something else has it -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Reading it wrong Box. - (folkert)
         Here are somethings to check. - (folkert) - (5)
             I've done most of that. - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 The problem has been narrowed down... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     Another small step - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         hmm.... - (folkert) - (1)
                             No need now - (ben_tilly)

Man, it's a hot one. Like seven inches from the mid-day sun.
54 ms