IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Macs gaining ground in the enterprise
[link|http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/07/21/osx/index.php|http://www.macworld..../21/osx/index.php]

Apple Computer\ufffds UNIX-based Mac OS X operating system is making inroads in the business community, according to a report by market research firm Jupiter Research. The report tracks desktop and server operating systems in medium to large sized business.

The report found that in businesses with 250 employees or more, 17 percent of the employees were running Mac OS X on their desktop computer at work. In Businesses that had 10,000 or more employees, 21 percent of employees used Mac OS X on their desktop work computer.
--------
'Cause it doesn't suck.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New I'd like to believe it but those numbers sound *way* high
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Pilot program where I work
working out well. Pretty soon all employees will be able to choose. Of those who can choose, seems like 9 in 10 want the Mac.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Haven't seen one yet
Lots of Solaris boxes, lots of linux boxes (and tux posters everywhere, yay)...but in my tiny little enterprise of 30k I've yet to see an Apple machine. Even in the demo rooms where the "looks cool" factor rules.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New In 90 people here...
3 use OS X.

Not entirely by coincidence, we have 3 graphics artists...

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New And i haven't been over
to the advertising department yet.

Been to some of the labs, though...and the office I was in today gave a little museum type summary of inventions from Western Elec to present. Definitely interesting to the propellerhead in me.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New The report seems to contradict itself.
Joe Wilcox used to write for news.com.com.com, IIRC.

From the Macworld link in Todd's post:

The report found that in businesses with 250 employees or more, 17 percent of the employees were running Mac OS X on their desktop computer at work. In Businesses that had 10,000 or more employees, 21 percent of employees used Mac OS X on their desktop work computer.

Mac OS X Server is also doing well with businesses. Nine percent of companies with 250 employees or more used Mac OS X Server, while 14 percent of companies with 10,000 employees or more used Apple\ufffds Server software.

[...]

\ufffdWhat we are seeing is Mac OS X taking share away from traditional UNIX installations,\ufffd Wilcox told MacCentral. In some cases, OS X is taking share away from Windows, as well.\ufffd

Unless one believes that MacOS had something like 17-20% of the desktops in these companies (which seems impossible to believe), then Windows must be losing market share to OS X in those companies. Or, unless you believe that 17-20% of desktops in those companies were running UNIX. I can believe OS X Server replacing UNIX servers, or even OS X replacing some UNIX servers and some Windows Server installations. But I can't see how to square the circle of OS X having ~ 20% of the desktops in these companies and mainly taking that share away from UNIX.

Bad editing? Poor methodology (I can see the survey being a bingo card like those used for free industry magazine subscriptions - "Please indicate the all desktop computer operating systems used in your organization...")? Dunno.

After hearing some horror stories about problems with OS X Tiger Server (important configuration scripts that point to nonexistent directories, permissions problems, etc.; stuff that should have been caught in beta testing), I find it hard to believe that it's used by such a large fraction of businesses. Unfortunately.

My $0.02. Sorry.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Don't know about server - where I work its all desktop
and its about replacing windows machines (occasionally linux as well for the J-crowd of developers).

Macs gaining ground in the enterprise - (tuberculosis) - (7)
         I'd like to believe it but those numbers sound *way* high -NT - (drewk) - (1)
             Pilot program where I work - (tuberculosis)
         Haven't seen one yet - (bepatient) - (2)
             In 90 people here... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 And i haven't been over - (bepatient)
         The report seems to contradict itself. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Don't know about server - where I work its all desktop - (tuberculosis)

Windows - nice body, scrambled brains. It's Jennifer Aniston!
58 ms