IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And you missed his: It was still pretty awfully cloying.
And his other point: To FEEL safe just because you're hallucinating some supernatural being, when you know that even if you believe in that superstition, you still won't BE safe, that is just STUPID.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New If I missed his, what was it?
I don't understand what "cloying" means, even after looking in the dictionary. It says things like "to surfeit with an excess usually of something orig. pleasing" & "to drive in a nail". The only word I get in the definition is "lame" and even that one doesn't tell me enough about what "cloying is."

As I stated, I answered the question of "where do you go to feel safe." I'm smart enough to realize that security is a state of mind. No one is ever really safe, not ever. Anything can happen to anyone at any moment. So understanding that is the key.

I know security is an illusion, but the greater the illusion, the more secure I feel.

Brenda

"I see little yellow butterflies fluttering round my head and hear little happy bluebirds singing overhead....all will be just fine!"
Expand Edited by Nightowl July 20, 2005, 12:00:59 PM EDT
New That's not smart, that's pathological
I'm smart enough to realize that security is a state of mind. No one is ever really safe, not ever. Anything can happen to anyone at any moment.
Where I'm sitting right now, there is virtually no chance that I will be shot by a crazed Iraqi terrorist.

I don't know where George Bush is right now, but I'd wager my next paycheck that there is virtually no chance that he is in danger of being run over by a newspaper truck.

There is absolutely no chance that I am about to drown.

Get it?
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Re: That's not smart, that's pathological
I'm smart enough to realize that security is a state of mind. No one is ever really safe, not ever. Anything can happen to anyone at any moment.
Where I'm sitting right now, there is virtually no chance that I will be shot by a crazed Iraqi terrorist.

I don't know where George Bush is right now, but I'd wager my next paycheck that there is virtually no chance that he is in danger of being run over by a newspaper truck.

Get it?

No, sorry, I don't. I didn't say a specific kind of safe, I said anything can happen to anyone at any moment. That means a plane could crash through my roof right this minute. Now is it likely to? No. But it could happen. And a car could crash into my house at any moment, but is it likely to? No.

Are you likely to drown? No, but you could choke on a chicken bone. I didn't say a specific thing would or wouldn't happen, you took it to specifics, not me.

My point is life is short, and when it's our time to go, we go. No questions, no whimpering, no arguments. It's our time.

People do what they can to "feel safe" to create that illusion of security. I do it with burglar alarms, fire alarms, smoke alarms, and CO/Gas detectors. I do it with double locks on the door, and with always locking all my doors at all times.

And I do it by posting signs all over my house that God is my protector, fortress and shield and He keeps me safe. Therefore He decides when it's my time to go, no one else. And until then, it isn't

I don't understand what's pathological about that, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning of pathological as well.

Brenda

Edit: Obligatory flame.... and la dee da da and all that bullshit.

"I see little yellow butterflies fluttering round my head and hear little happy bluebirds singing overhead....all will be just fine!"
Expand Edited by Nightowl July 21, 2005, 02:09:02 AM EDT
New How the fucking fuck can you NOT get it?
Featherbrains
quotes Drook
quoting her:
I'm smart enough to realize that security is a state of mind. No one is ever really safe, not ever. Anything can happen to anyone at any moment. [Emphasis added - CRC]

Get it?
No, sorry, I don't. I didn't say a specific kind of safe, I said anything can happen to anyone at any moment. [Emphasis added - CRC]
Exactly!

Only, you're apparently too fucking STOOOPID to UNDERSTAND what the fuck you said.

That means a plane could crash through my roof right this minute. Now is it likely to? No. But it could happen. And a car could crash into my house at any moment, but is it likely to? No.
It ALSO means, Drew "could" DROWN at this very moment. Or, George Bush "could" be about to be run over by a newspaper truck. Or are those things somehow NOT included in your definition of "anything"?!?

(If so, then yes, you probably DO need a "more intense" dictionary...)

Are you likely to drown? No, but you could choke on a chicken bone. I didn't say a specific thing would or wouldn't happen, you took it to specifics, not me.
You said, "ANYTHING". Those specifics he chose as examples are EXAMPLES OF "anything".

So, if ANYTHING "could" happen, then THOSE THINGS DREW MENTIONED "could" happen.

But they CAN'T. So "anything" CAN NOT happen.

I honestly can't quite fathom how fucking stupid one would have to be not to understand that.

[Rest of toddler-level "philosophical" drivel, which had nothing to do with earlier posts, snipped.]

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Re: How the fucking fuck can you NOT get it?
Only, you're apparently too fucking STOOOPID to UNDERSTAND what the fuck you said.

You know what Conrad, I don't give a flying fuck what you think about me, or whether or not you think I'm stoopid.... btw it's spelled stupid.

I have had the most hellish weekend I've had in years... I helped put on a family reunion with over 80 fucking relatives in ONE building, and there was times when I wanted to scream, throw things, and hit people.

Not to mention that I almost got the female equivalent of castrated by a stupid kid who was lying in the middle of the floor when I was trying to pass, and instead of listening to me tell him to stay put, he raised up and hit my inner thigh and almost sent me fucking headlong out the door to the concrete! I managed to get my balance, and stay on my feet, but it was a damn CLOSE CALL, and man did my leg hurt after, because I must've pulled a muscle or something.

Then when I was LEAST up for it, somehow a few people coming over on Sunday resulted in a BARRAGE of family members, so that my house was full of relatives, 21 to be exact, at a time when I could barely walk, or use my left arm due to fucking RSI....

And then, to put the topper on the kettle of fucking fish, the reunion committee (that includes me), had a serious misunderstanding about who was handling the money in what way, and this resulted in me being told I was expected to do ALL the fucking finances for EVERYONE, when I had explicitly stated I didn't want to do that again this year. Have I ever mentioned that Owls hate math? OWLS HATE MATH! Math is the most horrid thing ever created to torture people, and I wish it would take all it's damn operations and functions and numbers and just DISAPPEAR!

So this resulted in my having a panic attack, and then screaming hysterically (which is part of that, as to why was I being expected to do this, and this turned into a glorious family screaming match on the front yard.....

So you know what Conrad? Whether or not you think I'm Stoopid or Stupid, take your choice, is of so little consequence to me that you might as well be whispering it, because I could FUCKING CARE LESS!

That means a plane could crash through my roof right this minute. Now is it likely to? No. But it could happen. And a car could crash into my house at any moment, but is it likely to? No.
It ALSO means, Drew "could" DROWN at this very moment. Or, George Bush "could" be about to be run over by a newspaper truck. Or are those things somehow NOT included in your definition of "anything"?!?

Of course they are, because no one knows what will happen at any given time, which was my point.

So, if ANYTHING "could" happen, then THOSE THINGS DREW MENTIONED "could" happen.

But they CAN'T. So "anything" CAN NOT happen.

I disagree. I'm sure given the right circumstances they COULD happen. That's different however, from LIKELY to happen.

I honestly can't quite fathom how fucking stupid one would have to be not to understand that.

And I honestly can't fathom why I would fucking care about your assessment of me.

Brenda

Edit: Corrected castration to "female equivalent"

Expand Edited by Nightowl July 21, 2005, 11:26:50 PM EDT
New Nice rant
bitch. (Hey, its the flame forum - gotta keep down the standards).

Feel better?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Re: Nice rant
bitch. (Hey, its the flame forum - gotta keep down the standards).

Feel better?

Actually, yes. I was so angry on Monday that I pounded my desk with both fists, bruising my RSI hand and the other hand on the thumb and the heel of the hand. I haven't been that angry in so long, I wasn't even sure how to deal with it.

Brenda

New Do what I do.
Get some sword-shaped (or, in my case, naginata-shaped) foam-padded PVC pipes covered with a layer of duct tape, then go beat the crap out of some poor sap carrying the same armament.

Repeat until stress is relieved. :)
apt-get install godlike-powers
New Cloying; similar to "I think you're being too Pollyanna-ish"
I must admit, the above rant does tend to refute the "little miss good person-ness" of the original "but praying makes it all better" comment. You have to keep in mind that several of us consider any religion a form of institutional insanity. Having faith that the giant invisible old white guy in the sky will make it all better if we only *believe* in the giant invisible old white guy in the sky is something several of us have come to not believe.
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
New Re: ...similar to "I think you're being too Pollyanna-ish"
I must admit, the above rant does tend to refute the "little miss good person-ness" of the original "but praying makes it all better" comment. You have to keep in mind that several of us consider any religion a form of institutional insanity. Having faith that the giant invisible old white guy in the sky will make it all better if we only *believe* in the giant invisible old white guy in the sky is something several of us have come to not believe.

I almost get it now, there's just too many words in the Thesaurus to describe cloying and Pollyanna. But I get that Rcareaga thought it was boring, or uninteresting, so ok, it was boring, if that's the case, so fucking what. Also it appears that he thought it was trite, or commonplace, or gooey.. who knows, there's too many words.

My point was, I didn't care what anyone thought of the blasted original post, all I cared about was that I answered the question that was asked, and I fucking did that, so what's the big hangup here? I didn't tell Rcareaga to come in here and flame me for my "supposedly lame" post and create a long thread while I wasn't even here to see it!

Although that does strike me as funny, because you must all think I'm interesting in some respect, because if you didn't, you all wouldn't have debated about the post for such a long thread while I wasn't even perpetuating it! That's the funniest part of this entire thread!

And if you'll re-read my post, Silverlock, you'll see that I didn't say a word about praying. I said I used my imagination to feel safe. Imagining God as a Huge Owl Protector doesn't mean I'm praying to him to imagine him.

Praying, well that's another story that maybe I'll touch on some day, but I only recently learned to actually feel something while praying, because for years I was searching for achieving the "perfect daily prayer"... having been freed from that recently, (due to some revelations on my part), I now know that The Almighty in whatever form he takes for whomever, doesn't need the "perfect prayer" to hear you or to care. And yes, I know some of you don't believe, and that's your perogative.

But as I stated, if I didn't create some illusion of security for myself, to ease my panic-anxiety reactions to possible dangers, I would be afraid to leave the house, or open the front door.... hence, I created the "safe place to go" that works for me.

It's kind of like trying to achieve something that's fucking impossible, i.e. to be truly "safe" yet the more you try, the more you feel it might be possible.

I am definitely NOT a "little miss good person-ness", although I would like to be.... there's a dark side of me that rears it's head from time to time whenever I get madder than hell and can't contain it anymore. I'm not proud of it, but I accept it's there.

Brenda

New you almost got cstrated I need to have a long talk with john
otherwise if the ox family had 80 members in one room its either a mass trial or a last person standing scenario. Last time we had a pile together we could have taken on the sackett's of tennesee and still had leftovers to ransack rome. The most we ever had in a pile was 30 at grans funeral and M15 had watchers outside the house(I heard that second hand)
thanx,
bill
Just call me Mr. Lynch \\

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New John read it already and laughed!
Boxley wrote:>>Re: you almost got cstrated I need to have a long talk with john<<

Hehehe!

I meant to go back and fix that... it was supposed to say the "female equivalent of being castrated."

I'll go edit that now. ;)

Brenda

"I see little yellow butterflies fluttering round my head and hear little happy bluebirds singing overhead....all will be just fine!... Hmmmm someone get me a net!"
New female rotor router, no clit no parteey
or so the ignorant think. Since you are a scorpio lady and sexual sctuff is either discreet and not to be broadcast (letting John be the keeper of the Aunt Jemima clit twizzlers) please in future pick on the apparent inconsistant neo-nephrenes, ( wanna havwe sex but unsure of how to approach their better halves on how to introduce {ensoucsance) beter known as wanting to stick a thumb up her ass for traction)) or taking the other scorpio well known trait explain in detail how you get off, either way it is enterting to me :-)
thanx,
bill

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
New Hahaha
Well, I almost got about kicked in the crotch, does that grab ya? ;)

Brenda

"I see little yellow butterflies fluttering round my head and hear little happy bluebirds singing overhead....all will be just fine!... Hmmmm someone get me a net!"
New You're mixing terms.
This thread started with a discussion about being "safe" at home. [link|http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=safe|Safe] means several things that are different depending on the context:

safe Audio pronunciation of "safe" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sf)
adj. saf\ufffder, saf\ufffdest

1. Secure from danger, harm, or evil.
2. Free from danger or injury; unhurt: safe and sound.
3. Free from risk; sure: a safe bet.
4. Affording protection: a safe place.
5. Baseball. Having reached a base without being put out, as a batter or base runner.

Being safe from attack from an unknown stranger doesn't mean that accidents can't happen.

If you take safe to mean a place where nothing unpleasant happens, well there's no such place. As such, a "safe place" has no meaning. It's like discussing invisible pink unicorns....

Drew's point is that the word "anything" is extremely broad.

If your safety is in God's hands, then signs and burgular alarms really aren't necessary, are they? IMO, safety from others involves common sense and taking reasonable precautions. Safety from houses falling out of the sky, well, I don't think signs are going to help much....

"Falling-House Free Zone"

;-)

Try not to worry so much. Enjoy life while you can.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hmmm, trying to get it
This thread started with a discussion about being "safe" at home. [link|http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=safe|Safe] means several things that are different depending on the context:

No, not really. I thought it was about how to FEEL safe not how to BE safe. Isn't there a huge difference?

Being safe from attack from an unknown stranger doesn't mean that accidents can't happen.

Obviously, because they can. In that respect, yes, Drew could drown where he's sitting, because suppose an airplane with water tanks crashed or dropped the water over his house... I never say never.

If you take safe to mean a place where nothing unpleasant happens, well there's no such place. As such, a "safe place" has no meaning. It's like discussing invisible pink unicorns....

But I don't mean that such a place exists. I mean that I go to the "place" in my mind to feel safe, so that I'm not constantly paranoid about being shot any minute, the house catching fire any minute, etc etc. Otherwise I'm a nervous wreck, which I've been trying to avoid. I was a mess after 9/11, I was certain planes would crash into my house. I had to find an "inner" place inside myself to be able to stop worrying about such an unlikely (but not impossible), event.

Drew's point is that the word "anything" is extremely broad.

I guess so, but I'm still not sure what he was saying, whether he was saying he WAS likely to drown, or wasn't. You guys's sarcasm befuddles me a lot.

If your safety is in God's hands, then signs and burgular alarms really aren't necessary, are they? IMO, safety from others involves common sense and taking reasonable precautions. Safety from houses falling out of the sky, well, I don't think signs are going to help much....

The signs and burglar alarms are us helping ourselves achieve the wanted goal. Yes, God is ultimately responsible for my safety, but it doesn't help if I leave all my doors and windows open or run a gas appliance without the pilot light lit. He does expect us to try and take care of ourselves and help ourselves however we can. Example, if you ask him to give you a job, and then don't go out and submit applications, you aren't helping yourself.

Try not to worry so much. Enjoy life while you can.

I'm getting better at not worrying, and that "inner" place has helped.

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl July 21, 2005, 05:15:31 PM EDT
New Brenda, in this case: they're (mostly) Fucked, y'know?
I believe you gave a perfectly comprehensible == a bloody-ACCEPTABLE English language explanation of what *you* MEANT by the phrase,'FEELING SAFE' ... {enough.. for Government Work}.

That CRC is the Boss-[link|http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=persnickety&db=*|Persnickety]-one-of-Guido's-pecksniff-gang to-end-all-Persnickety-ones, on matters of Faithn'Morals language syntax ritual / Goddish matters
[He's Sure, you see - why, he looked around and saw Nary a One] ..

ergo:
it is utterly fruitless for you to Bite on his logical, mechanical deconstructions of any of your utterances. Y'see?

As for 'feeling safe' -- some others assign that attribute to a larger-Sense 'state' most often called, peaceful. Some ffolks, especially those heavily immersed in multitasking thousands of daily trivial make-work activities: just.. never.. achieve Either of these 'states'!
(Except catatonia / other sleep-mode, oft drug-induced --- why d'ya think, Some people pine for repeated surgeries!?)

(BTW .. That abominable unHuman situation appears Central, IMnshO: to the reasons *why* the US has become the Fucked-country, probably to END-All-Other Fucked-countries? in the not-so-distant future.)

So, whatever Works for you, to snatch a few endorphins out of a silly schedule which You Have Created for Yourself.. 's OK by moi.

You have demonstrated that you are not a Stupid person, though your English language 'recognition vocabulary' is pretty fucking low, for an intelligent adult.
That peculiarity, however - is not about (that tiresomely vaunted) 'Intelligence'-thing nor is it about one's Emotional Smarts, at all -- though some just Love to imagine that word-dyslexia connotes both.

Screw. Them.
Tell 'em to POAD - piss.off.and.die.

Peace,
moi

(We Sophisticated cha Ones cha -in fact- do enjoy immensely, the nuances available amidst the million-or-so Eng. Words extant, many stolen from all those Other word-noises ever uttered.)

But ya don't allus gets What Yaa Waant, within this fine day-to-day Illusion dream-thingy.

New PS - that Word thing... again
Maybe. you. just. Don't 'know' --?-- how, frequently, It Is -- in homo-saps who are Not-you [?]

Y'see most of us.. possess a nexus of ALL word-associations Evah; a thingy far too er holographic? as *ever* to be decipherable, parse-able, expressible - even for a second PhD AND a key to the Executive john. Clearly.. 'words' are (for most, save the 'gifted' dyslexics, certain autistics) - the very basis of most of our pedestrian 'thought' things of any sort.

There IS no map of this territory, and neurons/axons are just current baby-steps towards foolishly imagining some future Grand-dissection of what Being-Alive ""means"" [Talk about Stooopid..]
cha. cha. cha.

So if.. you have as much trouble as, it is apparent: You Do, with even so relatively-common a word as cloying; also haven't figure out that.. what you needed above was a thesaurus to rummage about in, for some likely phrase which you Do recognize:

Then your research-skillz are also, sadly crippled.
That does not bode well for your comprehending Why some of your missives strike chords in others, that are quite more dissonant than say, C-major triads (a simple, uncluttered feel-Good 'chord', that is).

I couldn't begin to imagine How-That-Is for/in *you* - and I suspect, neither can any but a precious few homo-saps with certain instincts which most of us pedestrian-types lack / have been too mentally/emotionally self-crippled=lazy to resurrect-within.

(It Is sooo much easier to dwell just in the simplistic-logic EZ-path in the jelloware than.. ever.. to refine a few of the countless hidden Possibilities we only glimpse in those folks who make it to that Genius list. Or have visions and also sometimes, Vision.)
I've become convinced that homo-sap is ~ 99.9999% Horrendously Mentally-lazy. A truly Odious Thing, if true.

(Our perpetually repeated assassinations of both other-homo-saps and Language itself.. certainly supports this thesis.)

Practice with a thesaurus til it Hurts.
(Then try it out on a nearby Huggy-bear - SHE won't laugh.)

Therapy for a Doomed Species, LLC
No deposit. No return.
New Re: PS - that Word thing... again
So if.. you have as much trouble as, it is apparent: You Do, with even so relatively-common a word as cloying; also haven't figure out that.. what you needed above was a thesaurus to rummage about in, for some likely phrase which you Do recognize:

Well, no one I associate with would be likely to consider cloying to be a commonplace word. I betcha none of my relatives would know what it meant, and John said it had too many meanings, to look it up, which I did.

Then your research-skillz are also, sadly crippled.

Not crippled, I was just too busy lately to research it too intensely, and I really didn't care what people thought of my post, so it also wasn't a high priority. I researched it more tonight, but again, the problem is there are too many possible choices, so once you get the list of possibilities, then you are sitting there trying to figure out which of the fucking choices fits the situation.... talk about frustration!

That does not bode well for your comprehending Why some of your missives strike chords in others, that are quite more dissonant than say, C-major triads (a simple, uncluttered feel-Good 'chord', that is).

I understand some people hate my posts. Some people even CRINGE when they read my posts... but you know what? This is fucking cyberspace... and fucking cyberspace is a big place... big enough for those that hate my posts, those that like my posts, those that are mildly amused by my posts and those who don't fucking care.

I've changed my posting level and style rather dramatically on here, and if people don't see that, well... they know the drill.

Brenda

New {chortle}
Yes, noticed your sparser postings.

Cloying ain't no biggie.

You know how Most stupid f*#$%& pastry chefs ALWAYS overdo the (cheap) Almond extract in various (BAD-for-one) pastries? A little almond can be Nice, if one likes almond. Too much: is *cloying*; just as, the term 'saccharine-sweet' also implies.

(saccharine is a now outdated, obsolete sugar-substitute; tastes as Awful as do most-all so-called 'Diet' fizz-water crap {uggh} but a tiny pill of it ""sweetened"" a whole cup of coffee.) Etc.

I.
New Re: Brenda, in this case: they're (mostly) Fucked, y'know?
I believe you gave a perfectly comprehensible == a bloody-ACCEPTABLE English language explanation of what *you* MEANT by the phrase,'FEELING SAFE' ... {enough.. for Government Work}.

Thank you Ashton, I thought so too.

it is utterly fruitless for you to Bite on his logical, mechanical deconstructions of any of your utterances. Y'see?

Yep, I know. I just have been so pissed lately that I saw an outlet for some of that, so hey, I cut loose... it happens. ;)

As for 'feeling safe' -- some others assign that attribute to a larger-Sense 'state' most often called, peaceful. Some ffolks, especially those heavily immersed in multitasking thousands of daily trivial make-work activities: just.. never.. achieve Either of these 'states'!

So, whatever Works for you, to snatch a few endorphins out of a silly schedule which You Have Created for Yourself.. 's OK by moi.

Thanks, and it took me a long time to even create for myself an illusion of being safe... I used to be more afraid of the big mean nasty old fucked up world than I am even now!

You have demonstrated that you are not a Stupid person, though your English language 'recognition vocabulary' is pretty fucking low, for an intelligent adult.

I suspect that's because you all have PhDs and I do not? I also suspect it's because I used to be able to spend a lot more time reading more sophisticated books, (in other words, more intellectual than Star Wars), but that changed more and more as I got busier and busier. Add that to the fact that I for a very long time, hung out with a group of people who didn't have the brains of a fly crossed with a rat, and it's no wonder I didn't grasp more vocabulary.

Combined with talking to my parents, which is sort of like... well fucking explaining over and over to a stubborn three-year old why they cannot do something, my vocabulary skills are not what they once were.

However, I do run to the dictionary if in doubt, AND the Thesaurus. Currently I use the ones online, because John's giant dictionary that I like, well let's face it, it fucking hurts my RSI arm to lift that one. The problem is that the dammned Thesaurus isn't the end all-be all answer... and the reason for that is there are TOO MANY DAMNED CHOICES FOR THE MEANING OF THE WORD IN QUESTION!

Ah well.... I continue to struggle to grasp whatever it is that whomever is posting in IWT is trying to get me to grasp, at least I don't give up, or decide it's not worth trying... I am fucking persistent in that respect.

And you, Ashton, my wonderfully well-versed Wizard of words, well you have been my example, my mentor, my "teacher" as it were, of the mystery of language. For it is a mysterious entity, is it not?

Brenda

"I see little yellow butterflies fluttering round my head and hear little happy bluebirds singing overhead....all will be just fine!.... hmmm someone get me a net!"
New Oblig {blush}
We do best that which we love to do. (This was also the one-sentence summary message of a dozen or so hours of Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth - run repeatedly on PBS) - usually these days, during pledge weeks.

Everything we learn or are capable of learning from others (other than via direct experience / touching the Hot-stove and replying, OWW!!!) is via Language. Also every small- medium- large- progress we make in the Necessary daily Art of Lying, to get through some asshole bizness 'project', say - - and still retain both some sanity AND some integrity:

Demands! the artful use of language / in- via eyes, ears / out- via mouth, Steno or other.

Those who Love language will be as unable to answer a Stoopid question like Why? - as to explain why it just might Be - -

That the "solid-things", those with mass and made up of so-called atoms and stuff are 'Illusionary' ... while any access to what-might-maybe-be ~Real: is entirely within, inexpressible and indescribable in ordinary language, with those ordinary [referents] for each word.

Nobody can put anything Useful together for another - so, grab what you Can, wherever it turns up, I say. (Tyranny of Words is always a decent re-read, when one forgets how fragile are 'definitions' of anything actually Important, y'know?)

Luck,

I Who Be
New FOR "INSERT DIETY HRE!!!!!!
we are not smart, we are not anything but humans sniffing around the cold campfires of the normals to see if its safe to hestitently see if it is safe to expose our true feelings. If it is safe we beat our chests and dain agreement with the trend of the day. If we see anyting else we escape and pretend it is a subissue of what is real
thanx,
bill

New As the dentist said...
Is it safe?
New Your denial confirms it
Thanks, and it took me a long time to even create for myself an illusion of being safe.
I feel safe. And I don't think it's an illusion I have to work to convince myself of.

I am not about to drown.

I am not about to get hit by a truck.

A plane is not about to crash into this building.

The computer I am typing on is not about to burst into flames, nor elecrocute me.

Masked gunmen are not about to run in the door and shoot me.

Sure, any of these things could theoretically happen. But I would have to work really hard to make myself actually worry about them. It sounds like you have to work really hard to convince yourself that you don't have to worry about them. That's not reasonable.

If you're in a plane that hits turbulence, is it reasonable to worry? Sure. Is it reasonable for people in London to be skittish about getting on a train today? Absolutely.

But you've described unreasonable fears about things that are very unlikely to happen. You've convinced yourself that any of them really could happen at any time. It sounds like you're so afraid of what might happen that you actually miss out on much of what makes life worth living.

There could be a razor blade in that chocolate ice cream. Better not eat it.

There could be subliminal messages in that music. Better turn the radio off.

A meteroite could strike at any minute. Better stay inside, behind locked doors, with sandbags on the roof, wearing a helmet, forever.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Re: Your denial confirms it
Sure, any of these things could theoretically happen. But I would have to work really hard to make myself actually worry about them. It sounds like you have to work really hard to convince yourself that you don't have to worry about them. That's not reasonable.

I know it isn't reasonable. That's why it's called Panic-Anxiety. There are different kinds, and mine is unreasonable fear and not dealing with no-win situations. But you would probably understand more if you knew my background, and how my father came from a small Kentucky town to the "big" city of St. Louis. Due to that, and the radical differences of how you live in both places, he more or less "taught" me to be afraid of everything, something I've been undoing for years.... with much success in many areas, I might add.

But you've described unreasonable fears about things that are very unlikely to happen. You've convinced yourself that any of them really could happen at any time. It sounds like you're so afraid of what might happen that you actually miss out on much of what makes life worth living.

I don't think I miss out on much. There are things I won't do myself, such as drive to Granite City alone anymore, because I tend to screw up and end up in a bad neighborhood.. (this has happened before), and there are things I prefer to avoid, like flying. But I do live life to the fullest in my opinion, that is, a life I'm happy and satisfied with. The fear is kind of like something deep down inside, that I wrestle with whenever it tries to appear.. it doesn't prevent me from doing something I truly want to do. Does that help?

There could be a razor blade in that chocolate ice cream. Better not eat it.

A meteroite could strike at any minute. Better stay inside, behind locked doors, with sandbags on the roof, wearing a helmet, forever.

Hehehe, nah... nothing to that extreme. In fact, during the 9/11 hype, I didn't even go buy duct-tape and cardboard or whatever all that nonsense was. Most of my fears have a basis, despite how unreasonable they are, so I work on that basis.

My dad told me over and over for years, don't go downstairs after 10, you'll get hurt, or something will happen to you. So for years, if I tried to go downstairs after 10:00 p.m. my heart would pound and I would be afraid. I searched out the basis for this, and learned he was just not wanting his "young child" at the time to be downstairs unsupervised that late at night. It wasn't really that something "down there" would burst out and grab me. Knowing that made me able to conquer my fear, and I "CAN" go downstairs after 10:00 p.m. now. My heart still races sometimes, if I truly think about what I'm doing, but I still manage to go down and do whatever it is needs to be done.

Most of my fears have that basis, either Dad drove them into my brain, or someone else did, or I developed a misunderstanding about something and considered it a threat. But when I conquer one, I'm proud...

Hehehe, I remember dad saying when I was about 19 or so, "Don't go down to downtown St. Louis, you'll get raped and mugged." Well, my boyfriend at the time took me to the city to the Soldier's Memorial and Union Station, and I remember when I got home, I said to my dad, "Daddy, I went downtown and saw Union Station and I didn't get raped and mugged!"

My fears are really my problem, and I've been treating them for years, and many have been conquered to whatever degree they can be. It's my mind that's the hardest to conquer. :)

Edit: I thought of something to add. You say you are safe, and you know you are. I say I'm safe to the best I can be, barring something unexpected or surreal.

Brenda

P.S. Insert obligatory flame words here.

Expand Edited by Nightowl July 22, 2005, 12:39:14 PM EDT
New Free clue
There is no god. And you're not saved, and he won't be there for you.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New **could be**?!?

I thought that was already a known fact that all rock-n-roll (and some country) music have satanic messages encoded within them! (ref: Tipper Gore, Phyllis Schlafly, Pat Robertson, etc.)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New IthinkI'mgoingintomymind
New cloying is extreme clinging with mucho annoying

New Say what?
Box wrote:>>Re: cloying is extreme clinging with mucho annoying<<

Huh? what does that have to do with being lame... or driving a nail? Sorry, but I'm not getting it. Maybe I need a more intense dictionary.

Maybe someone should try giving me a synonym that I might get for it.

Brenda

New It was A:How cloying (=sickeningly sweet);B:How stupid! HTH.
New Nope, doesn't help
Conrad wrote:>>Re: It was A:How cloying (=sickeningly sweet);B:How stupid! HTH.<<

Honestly, it doesn't help the least damn bit. I still have no idea how it applies to my original post, and believe me, I'm trying to grasp it.

Brenda

New That would be because of point B then.
     How cloying is that? - (rcareaga) - (73)
         Aaah! Now I need a sponge for the monitor! -NT - (tuberculosis)
         Credit where due.. - (Ashton)
         Ooh! Atheism! - (warmachine) - (23)
             You're just being a spoilsport. - (Ashton)
             ICLRPD (of sorts) - (jb4) - (3)
                 Toxic meme? - (warmachine) - (2)
                     Much rather see Him on Meet the Press... - (jb4)
                     Naaah.. they'uns jes Love___the George Burns \ufffd\ufffdolksy model. -NT - (Ashton)
             I just wonder where you learned your theology - (Arkadiy) - (17)
                 What am I getting wrong, then? -NT - (warmachine) - (16)
                     Re: What am I getting wrong, then? - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                         Lame excuses - (warmachine) - (14)
                             "I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one." - (imric) - (1)
                                 Well, yes! - (warmachine)
                             Love. It._____but Point of Order flag, anyway - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Yes, yes! I know most believers see the bible as metaphor. - (warmachine)
                             None so blind as those who won't see - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                                 I'll explain it in terms he can understand - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Prefer a mad scientist idea - (warmachine) - (1)
                                         that last frame......sez it all -NT - (boxley)
                                 Seems as if Core Functions ___ were outsourced. - (Ashton)
                                 Intellect without capacity for evil? - (warmachine) - (3)
                                     I have met intellect without the capacity for evil - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Capacity or choice - (warmachine) - (1)
                                             Hey, warfarin - sometimes 'logic' Is enough! - (Ashton)
                                 My $0.02 on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
         Ooooh this is going to get good! - (imqwerky) - (10)
             Do you think that the Pope approves of your theology? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                 The Pope just issued a warning about Harry Potter - (bionerd) - (2)
                     He may soon issue a letter of support. - (Another Scott)
                     Oh Brother! - (imqwerky)
                 I don't care if the pope approves - (imqwerky) - (3)
                     About what I guessed. :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         OT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                             Replied -NT - (ben_tilly)
                 Do you think she **cares** what the Pope thinks - (jb4) - (1)
                     Theoretically she should - she's Catholic -NT - (ben_tilly)
         You missed the point - (Nightowl) - (35)
             And you missed his: It was still pretty awfully cloying. - (CRConrad) - (34)
                 If I missed his, what was it? - (Nightowl) - (33)
                     That's not smart, that's pathological - (drewk) - (27)
                         Re: That's not smart, that's pathological - (Nightowl) - (26)
                             How the fucking fuck can you NOT get it? - (CRConrad) - (10)
                                 Re: How the fucking fuck can you NOT get it? - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                     Nice rant - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         Re: Nice rant - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                             Do what I do. - (inthane-chan)
                                     Cloying; similar to "I think you're being too Pollyanna-ish" - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                         Re: ...similar to "I think you're being too Pollyanna-ish" - (Nightowl)
                                     you almost got cstrated I need to have a long talk with john - (boxley) - (3)
                                         John read it already and laughed! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                             female rotor router, no clit no parteey - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Hahaha - (Nightowl)
                             You're mixing terms. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                 Hmmm, trying to get it - (Nightowl) - (13)
                                     Brenda, in this case: they're (mostly) Fucked, y'know? - (Ashton) - (12)
                                         PS - that Word thing... again - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Re: PS - that Word thing... again - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                 {chortle} - (Ashton)
                                         Re: Brenda, in this case: they're (mostly) Fucked, y'know? - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                             Oblig {blush} - (Ashton)
                                             FOR "INSERT DIETY HRE!!!!!! - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 As the dentist said... - (broomberg)
                                             Your denial confirms it - (drewk) - (4)
                                                 Re: Your denial confirms it - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                     Free clue - (pwhysall)
                                                 **could be**?!? - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     IthinkI'mgoingintomymind -NT - (Ashton)
                     cloying is extreme clinging with mucho annoying -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Say what? - (Nightowl)
                     It was A:How cloying (=sickeningly sweet);B:How stupid! HTH. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Nope, doesn't help - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             That would be because of point B then. -NT - (CRConrad)

Sine qua non.
169 ms