IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How do you pick up the talking points memo so quickly?
If the CIA thinks it is actionable, I tend to believe they might just have cause to think so.
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
New Prefer to listen to those who wrote the law.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A2305-2005Jan11|http://www.washingto...n/A2305-2005Jan11]
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New You're kidding right?
The CIA, The Justice Department, the special prosecuter and the White House all agree this is a crime. The judge agrees enough to put a reporter in jail. And you go pull this puling piece of spin from two partisan friends of Novak to say it isn't?

Here's a link for you so you won't have to wait for the next blast fax; [link|http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Exclusive_GOP_talking_points_on_Rove_seek_to_discre_0712.html|RNC Rove talking points memo]

Eagerly awaiting the Wilson slams.
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

D. D. Richards
Expand Edited by Silverlock July 14, 2005, 09:53:57 AM EDT
New You must be
Because your little "talking points" game doesn't include the analysis of the law by the folks that wrote it. It doesn't include the points of law necessary to get an indictment...those being that she had to be in country (not travelling...IN COUNTRY) in the past 5 years and the government needed to be actively concealing her ID. Now I dunno about you, but if I were counter-intelligence...and I were following this woman to her job in Langley...I might be a bit suspicious. And I would hope that our spooks arent' stupid enough to hang out there on a regular basis, if at all.

So...unless they come up with a different law to prosecute him on, this is indeed NOT a crime. And the reporter is in jail for violation of a different law...and I disagree with her being there on general principle. There is ample enough evidence that the law in question was indeed NOT violated, and therefor she need not sit there for obstruction.

You assume that I am defending the idiot. I'm not. He deserves to be fired for what he did. Gone. Poof. HOWEVER, he did not violate the law that everyone keeps insisting he did. So...idiot yes. Former employee...should be. Felon? Don't think so...unless charged with some aspect of coverup related to the conversations (perjury for example).

For a breath of sanity on this witch-hunt.

[link|http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-07-13-plame-edit_x.htm|http://www.usatoday....-plame-edit_x.htm]
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New C'mon BeeP, you (of all people) know better than that
And abortion wasn't mentioned inthe Constitution, either. Nor was the right of municipalities to sieze personal property for private development. Who cares what the putative author of the bill says that the intent should be? All that matters is case law, period (a point you've made several times yourself, IIRC).
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New And there isn't any
so I'd like to start this one by actually applying it as written, thankyouverymuch.

New But there will be
And when (not if) there is, the "intent of the author" will mean fuckall (especially to Der Architekt if he's sitting in Leavenworth).
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Let's assume the authors of this piece are non-partisan
Bwaaahaaaahaaaahaaahaaha! <takes deep breath>.

In order to disprove this assertion/opinion (How the hell would Novak's buddies know Plame's CIA assignments?),
There is a need to produce evidence that Valerie Plame qualifies as a "covert agent" per \ufffd 426. There must be evidence that she served outside the US, a single official trip overseas might suffice. There are published reports that Plame served in London and Brussels in the early to mid 1990s.

In a October 1, 2003 Knight Ridder report entitled "Justice Launches Probe Into CIA Leak," an anonymous CIA official was quoted as saying, "If she was not undercover, we would have no reason to file a criminal referral," referring to the referral by the CIA to the Justice Department that a crime may have been committed.

If Plame's identity as a CIA employee was in fact classified, Rove's leak may also have violated other U.S. laws, including the Espionage Act. Failure to protect classified information, criminal or not, is often grounds for the revocation of one's security clearance. Finally, Rove has been interviewed by the FBI and has testified before a grand jury. Misrepresentations to either could be a crime.

[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Plame#Known_background|Wikipedia]

Edit: apology retracted as Beep has used, approximately in order, the first 4 of the RNC talking points found at my link posted above.
-- H. L. Mencken

D. D. Richards
Expand Edited by Silverlock July 15, 2005, 08:51:29 PM EDT
New That first section is incorrect.
A single overseas trip will NOT suffice per the law, or at least at the authors explanation of the law.

Edited to explain that while these points may be included in some "talking points" bulletin, had you not posted it I would have never seen it. These points are also widely reported in the general news media and are at least partially supported by the facts of the case. (Direct quotes of Mr Wilson notwithstanding hence my later retraction)

Expand Edited by bepatient July 15, 2005, 09:35:58 PM EDT
New Re: That first section is incorrect.
A single overseas trip will NOT suffice per the law, or at least at the authors explanation of the law.

His opinion doesn't really matter, it's the courts opinion that does.

Jay
     Rove spoke with reporter about Plame - (admin) - (99)
         Nasty press conference - (admin) - (1)
             But will this actually get play in the media? -NT - (ben_tilly)
         But he didn't name names. - (marlowe) - (18)
             Utterly transparent - (JayMehaffey)
             Technicality: "Wilson's Wife" is a pretty fair substitute - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                 The question may well reduce to, - (Ashton) - (6)
                     It's really a moot point. - (jbrabeck) - (5)
                         First, need to convict the president. -NT - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                             President Cheney? <shudder> -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 And his accomplices - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                     Logic! _____what hath happened to thy sting.. -NT - (Ashton)
                             Else he gets an immediate pardon -NT - (ben_tilly)
             Ah yesss... - (Ashton)
             I know who Marlowe is! parrot party line, check - (boxley) - (6)
                 Nicely done, Box! -NT - (jb4)
                 In defense of my pseudonymity... - (marlowe) - (4)
                     :-) the part that clued me in was a rant about Rove - (boxley) - (1)
                         Just goes to show how low Hannity will stoop - (jb4)
                     Better stay on Rove's good side... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Rove would never out me. - (marlowe)
             on not naming names (new thread) - (rcareaga)
         I don't care if he's fired...I want jail time! - (jb4) - (77)
             Good luck. Here's the Wall Street Journal's take... - (hnick) - (10)
                 Anonymous author? - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                     Don't need a name on that one - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                         Nit but likely not minor - (bepatient) - (1)
                             I guess it's possible - (JayMehaffey)
                         Isn't nepotism a hangable offense? - (ChrisR) - (2)
                             Nah..its ok here. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 (ref. B. Ebbers) - (jb4)
                     Probably James Taranto - (Another Scott)
                 Did you see "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" on 7/13/05? - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Linky. - (Another Scott)
             You wont get it becasue he didn't break that law - (bepatient) - (65)
                 How do you pick up the talking points memo so quickly? - (Silverlock) - (9)
                     Prefer to listen to those who wrote the law. - (bepatient) - (8)
                         You're kidding right? - (Silverlock) - (7)
                             You must be - (bepatient) - (6)
                                 C'mon BeeP, you (of all people) know better than that - (jb4) - (2)
                                     And there isn't any - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         But there will be - (jb4)
                                 Let's assume the authors of this piece are non-partisan - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                     That first section is incorrect. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         Re: That first section is incorrect. - (JayMehaffey)
                 Her classmate disagrees - (tuberculosis) - (54)
                     Lemme get this straight... - (jb4) - (53)
                         Yep - (bepatient) - (52)
                             Maybe we should wait until the grand jury is done? - (Another Scott) - (51)
                                 Reminescent of Whitewater? -NT - (ChrisR)
                                 Why do that? - (bepatient) - (49)
                                     Fits his MO, done it before, leopards, spots, ya ya ya -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         Yep..and same result should apply. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                             I would add jail -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                     I assume that was pointed at me. - (Silverlock) - (45)
                                         Good assumption - (bepatient) - (44)
                                             "who wrote the law" - (Silverlock) - (43)
                                                 where is the definition of "covert agent"? -NT - (boxley) - (42)
                                                     Try dictionary.com or google or findlaw -NT - (Silverlock) - (41)
                                                         lets ask the cia - (boxley) - (40)
                                                             Already been discounted - (Silverlock) - (39)
                                                                 Here - (bepatient) - (38)
                                                                     That definition might fit. - (ben_tilly) - (37)
                                                                         Ah, the key... - (Simon_Jester) - (36)
                                                                             The ripple effect is huge - (broomberg) - (3)
                                                                                 And there is no question... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                 Watching too many movies Barry - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                     Nope, just CIA torture manuals - (broomberg)
                                                                             We know what she worked on. - (Another Scott) - (31)
                                                                                 Stop that - (bepatient) - (30)
                                                                                     I've wondered why Rove is still around. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                         Bite your tongue - (bepatient)
                                                                                     I don't understand you - (Silverlock) - (27)
                                                                                         This is all partisan - (bepatient) - (26)
                                                                                             Hey Beep: $200MM == 1 day in Iraq - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                 Instant justification? :-/ -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                             Whatever. - (Silverlock) - (23)
                                                                                                 Are you that dense? - (bepatient) - (18)
                                                                                                     Part of the larger picture - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                                         No quibbles here. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                         Well said. - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                                                                                             Must disclose that reviewer has nepotistic ties... - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                     I guess I must be - (Silverlock) - (13)
                                                                                                         Fine - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                                             Transcript? - (Silverlock) - (10)
                                                                                                                 No. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                 Senate Intelligence Committee report. Long excerpt. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                                                                     Yeah, but... - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                     Wilson has always claimed that the CIA sent him.... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                                                                         I'd rather avoid the hypotheticals myself. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                                                                             Be very careful - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Actually, I agree also. - (Silverlock)
                                                                                                                             I tend to agree. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Had to blame someone. Can't admit a mistake, you know. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                             big banner on the top, neutrality of this page disputed :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                                 so rove is guilty, why shouldnt he get the same punishment - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                     Lost his clearance. That would mean Rove would have to go. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                         nope he is a political architect not a spymaster -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                             I'd be very surprised if he didn't have a secret clearance. - (Another Scott)

I knew it as soon as you told me.
427 ms