IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If he was slightly technical I'd say...
that he wants you to do a binary lookup or equivalent (hash, BTree, etc) rather than scan a list.

You get a linear degradation in performance when you linearly scan a list, if the list has twice as many things it takes on average twice as long to do a lookup. You get a logarithmic degradation when you do a binary lookup.

That is he wants lookup time to scale like O(log(n)) rather than O(n).

Of course he may well completely misunderstand the performance characteristics of your system and why it looks like it does.

If he isn't technical, I'd guess that he is just repeating a magical invocation that someone else said, and he hopes it will make you do something useful.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Got it.
No, this stuff is not based on lookups of items in that fashion.
Doesn't really matter, since he's a MS SQL/Server bigot who pretends to know large data, but it's not my problem anymore since I'm not in that group.
He's taking pot shots at a system I wrote 5 years ago, that other people have been maintaining and extending the whole time.
     Odd word usage - (broomberg) - (9)
         Wants the rate to be slower at first - (hnick)
         That performance should be inversely proportional not to... - (CRConrad)
         Huh? - (broomberg) - (2)
             Ok, given that - (hnick) - (1)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
         If he was slightly technical I'd say... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Got it. - (broomberg)
         You'd be fools not to consider ... - (altmann)
         Linear degradation is usually an improvement - (tuberculosis)

There are 178 parent languages on our planet, with over 1000 dialects. It's amazing we communicate at all.
43 ms