IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Access vs. SQL Server: "Invalid argument" error.
I've had this one for a while and still haven't figured out why or how to work around it:

I often Import SQL Server data into Access (2k03). It will ALWAYS give me an "Invalid Argument" error (nothing more), sometimes after attempting to bring it in for a while, other times it's immediate. Except:

If I make a brand new MDB file I can Import the SQL stuff without problem. . .for a time. Then it barfs up and refuses to do it anymore.

And I can't just Link to a SQL table/view. I CAN, apparently, Import the SQL data into an aforementioned brand new MDB, and then Link to that (but still not Import it from the MDB).

Update: I suspect it may have something to do with zero-length strings. That's as close as I've gotten through searching M$'s site.
Expand Edited by acagle July 11, 2005, 03:52:26 PM EDT
New Yeah, have either of 'em argue against a non-MS DB in stead.
New Used DTS for that purpose.
Had a blank MDB file that I'd copy to a date-stamped filename, creating the tables from scratch and then flooding them with the appropriate views. Been years since I did that, but it did avoid most of the issues with Access that we'd been having (like locking way too much of the tables in the process).

Access vs. SQL Server: "Invalid argument" error. - (acagle) - (2)
         Yeah, have either of 'em argue against a non-MS DB in stead. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Used DTS for that purpose. - (ChrisR)

And on drums: The Pope!
62 ms