IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How to End Wars Between Testers and Programmers
Figured some had first hand experience in the [link|http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/07/08/dev_team.html|war between programmers and testers] that might appreciate the column.
The simplest way to minimize strife between test and development is to match the test team with enough authority to live up to its job title. Either they should be granted enough power to participate in, or give feedback on, the early design of the software, or the limits of their role should be acknowledged openly. But if you keep a test team stuck in between, with high responsibility but little or no power, they are bound to fail in ways that disrupt the entire project. I'm not advocating that testers should rule the world. I'm simply saying their responsibility should be roughly equivalent to their authority.
In our small company, I act as both programmer and tester, so we naturally irritate each other constantly.
New I just asked a nearby qa person about that
She said that she's heard of testers and developers being at war, but has never experienced it with us.

We must be doing something right. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Re: How to End Wars Between Testers and Programmers
Nice article, thanks for the link :)

I like this [link|http://www.scottberkun.com/about/|Scott Berkun] guy, he is real, I like to collect people, and henceforth he is on my list.

I agree with what he says, I can't add something that can't be implied from this article, except I would like to make it clearer everything should be tested, the code should be reviewed, the design should be tested and justified, and the tester at the end of the tunnel testing the GUI for example, should be confident that this have happened, and should have access to the result of those tests. The worst thing that can happen to a tester is loosing faith in the code, and the coder
     How to End Wars Between Testers and Programmers - (ChrisR) - (2)
         I just asked a nearby qa person about that - (ben_tilly)
         Re: How to End Wars Between Testers and Programmers - (systems)

It's like you ran OCR on a photo of a Scrabble board from a game where JavaScript reserved words counted for triple points.
107 ms