IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MS pays IBM $775M to settle antitrust complaint.
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/business/01cnd-soft.html?hp&ex=1120276800&en=23acfbd830c2f31a&ei=5094&partner=homepage|NY Times]:

The settlement stems from the Justice Department's antitrust case against Microsoft in the mid-1990's, in which Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson found the giant software company's practices harmed the International Business Machines Corporation, based in Armonk, N.Y. That case was settled in 2001.

Under the agreement announced today, I.B.M. will also receive a $75 million credit toward using Microsoft software. It is the latest, and one of the largest, in a string of antitrust settlements totaling more than $3 billion between Microsoft, based in Redmond, Wash., and its rivals. In April, Microsoft said it would pay Gateway $150 million. Last year, it agreed to pay Sun Microsystems $1.6 billion, Microsoft's largest such payout.

I.B.M. and Microsoft, which issued a joint statement today, came to an agreement just weeks before a deal to extend the statute of limitations on the claims was to expire in July. The companies said they had been negotiating for the last two months.

[...]

The settlement includes claims related to I.B.M.'s OS/2 operating system and SmartSuite software package, neither of which ever established more than a toehold in the personal computer market dominated by Microsoft's Windows and Office software. In the agreement announced today, Microsoft also dropped antitrust claims against I.B.M.

But the agreement did not cover claims of damage to I.B.M.'s server hardware and software business. I.B.M. has agreed, with some unspecified limitations, not to seek damages on harm to its server business before June 30, 2002. An I.B.M. spokesman, Scott Brooks, declined to say which, if any, of those claims the company planned to pursue.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: MS pays IBM $775M to settle antitrust complaint.
They should have asked for the M$ parts of OS/2 as well, so IBM could release it as Open Source.

Another opportunity missed..... :-(
New What did you expect?
These Ignorant Bastard Morons are who gave us MSFT hegemony in the first place, n'est ce pas?
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
     MS pays IBM $775M to settle antitrust complaint. - (Another Scott) - (2)
         Re: MS pays IBM $775M to settle antitrust complaint. - (n3jja) - (1)
             What did you expect? - (mmoffitt)

Well, from then on, we had a whale of a time. I took her to dinner, I took her to dance. I bought her a bouquet of flounders. And then I went home with her. And what did I get for my trouble? A case of the clams.
31 ms