IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Security update is available from tne Installer
But I don't think you'll see it unless you have the new Update.

I'll keep at MacFixit to see if they've got something.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that
cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just
comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
New One little question
The 'About' box in the Finder does say 10.1.1 after the upgrade, doesn't it? I would assume so, but mine says 10.1, and that's what I'm basing the success or otherwise of my upgrade on.

It's OK, no need to go to too much bother to discover what's going on, but 'tis much appreciated all the same.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Yes
About Finder should say 10.1.1 and if you click on it, it should give the build number 5M28.

Per the Apple KnowledgeBase, you have to install the Security Update (check your Software Update log) before upgrading to 10.1.1.

Did you try the standalone installer?

The thing of it is...10.1.2 is supposed to be coming out tonight.
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
(a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites)
New Shall be sure to install Security Update tonight then...
If I haven't already (and I'm assuming in this case I haven't)

By Standalone Installer do you mean running the 14MB .pkg file that was downloaded by software update? When it first downloaded, and told me it needed 300MB spare to run (which I didn't have), it prompted me to save the downloaded file. (the .pkg). Have run the .pkg file twice now, with no error message, no complaints, but no 10.1.1 either.

Is odd how it goes through the motions, and gives every indication that it has been successful, even though it seems to have done nothing.

Which suddenly makes me realise an OS upgrade can be like politician...

"He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth
coz he knows there's no such thing"
New OK so now I'm at home...
According to my Softwqare Update log, I have a Security Update10-19-01 version 1.0 installed, and a IE 5.1 security update as well. These were both done before I installed the Installer Update.

I tried running Installer, and getting it to install the 10.1.1 .pkg file. Same deal. Says it works, and a restart shows nothing changed. Except I noticed tonight that Omniweb is now extremely flakey, and Mail stops as soon as it starts, giving no reason. (hadn't tried these previous to starting this upgrade saga)

It''s too late to wait for the 10.1.1 update to download, I'll leave it til tomorrow.

Know if there is any difference to the 10.1.1 installer listed in the OS X downloads bit of the Apple web site?

"Yes no maybe I don't know
could you repeat the question?"
New Hmmmm
Under /Library/Receipts, there are a bunch of files ending in .pkg. These are what Software Update uses to determine what updates you need.

Try removing MacOSXUpdate10.1.1.pkg and SecurityUpdate10-19-01.pkg and reinstalling.

As a matter of fact, try to remove the OSX update pkg first and see if a re-install does the trick. If not, you may want to delete the Security Update receipt and re-install that.

Failing this, wiping and reinstalling your OSX partition will probably work as well.

(You do have your data backed up, right?)

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
New Will give that a go.
Maybe with Library/Receipts I can convince it that the 10.1.1 update didn't fail, like the log in Software Update says it did. Give me, oh, about 10 hours til I'm home and can have a go at it.

Next time I have all this download fun I'll get Squid installed first so at least re-download 14 MB should take a few seconds, not minutes. (Sigh - I miss not having my Linux box around...)

Will let you kow how the exciting adventure unfolds over the weekend...
On and on and on and on,
New One good thing...
> Next time I have all this download fun I'll get Squid installed first so at >least re-download 14 MB should take a few seconds, not minutes. (Sigh - I miss >not having my Linux box around...)

At least with OS X something like Squid is readily available, without needing a second *NIX box.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

The class was learning about some revolt in which some peasants had wanted
to stop being peasants and, since the nobles had won, had stopped being
peasants *really quickly*.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)
New Exactly what I was thinking. Plus an update.
Will install Squid and Junkbuster when I get a round tuit.

Well if'n I ain't the dumbest thing since the day Professor Dumb of Dumb University purchased an electrified Dumbing machine...

Only today did it occur to me to actually view the log of the install. Duh. And it said (in part...)

\tInstalling with target /
\t/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Installation.framework/Resources/pax:
\tcould not read compressed data
\t:
\tUndefined error: 0
\tERROR:Could not read archive file. - pax: End of archive volume 1 reached -

\tERROR:Could not write file. - pax: WARNING! These patterns were not matched: -

\t./Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Info.plist
\t./Applications/Mail.app/Contents/version.plist
\t./System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app
...(and much much more)

So at least that gives me something to go on with. Have only just discovered this so not sure what I'll be doing just yet.

And sure enough, in /library/receipts the 10.1.1 package was much smaller than it should have been. Will play around and post an update.

On and on and on and on,
New YESS!
Needless to say, I'm now (finally) running 10.1.1.

After such an exercise in frustration, they should invent a frustration category for the next Olympics. I'd surely be a winner.

Thanks to either a dodgy ISP or dodgy 'phone infrastrructure, I finally managed to use Software Update to redownload 10.1.1.

And that's all I needed to do. I did move the existing bits of 10.1.1 package from the /library/receipts directory first.

Anyway, it's hip, it's happening, it's groovy, and stuff.

So now I get to look forward to 30-odd MB of 10.1.2 in a few days. Hmm. Think I'll go visit a friend who has broadband :)

Thanks again for your assistance Mr Sinclair!
On and on and on and on,
New Great!

I love it when a plan comes together....

Some of my favorite links for OS X questions:

Mac OS X Hints -
[link|http://www.macosxhints.com|[link|http://www.macosxhints.com|http://www.macosxhints.com]]

MacFixit's OS X Page -
[link|http://www.macfixit.com/macosx.shtml|[link|http://www.macfixit.com/macosx.shtml|http://www.macfixit.com/macosx.shtml]]

and of course,

[link|http://www.google.com|Google is always your friend.]

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

Natural selection saw to it that professional heroes who at a crucial
moment tended to ask themselves questions like "What is my purpose in
life?" very quickly lacked both.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
New Upgrade Frenzy
So 10.1.1 goes in like a dream (no longer a nightmare), and iTunes 2.0.3 arrives at the same time. Sure enough that installed without any bother. I now have 15MB worth of DVD update ready and waiting for me to download.

So, by the time I OS 10.1.2 comes out, that 30MB should just about take me over my 100MB limit from my ISP for the month. Fab. Still, not long 'ti next month, is it?

Rest assured I will check my disk space before downloading another OS update - and banish all those MP3s to another machine as required.

John.
On and on and on and on,
     10.1.1 Upgrade doesn't. - (Meerkat) - (14)
         A couple of questions - (tjsinclair) - (13)
             A couple of answers - (Meerkat) - (12)
                 Security update is available from tne Installer - (tjsinclair) - (11)
                     One little question - (Meerkat) - (10)
                         Yes - (tjsinclair) - (9)
                             Shall be sure to install Security Update tonight then... - (Meerkat) - (8)
                                 OK so now I'm at home... - (Meerkat) - (7)
                                     Hmmmm - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                                         Will give that a go. - (Meerkat) - (5)
                                             One good thing... - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                                                 Exactly what I was thinking. Plus an update. - (Meerkat) - (3)
                                                     YESS! - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                         Great! - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                                                             Upgrade Frenzy - (Meerkat)

Yeah, let's watch the lamp. It's more fun and less predictable.
101 ms