IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DirecTV Satellite Service
Last month I switched from Digital Cable to DirecTV. For $31.99 I got more channels than I got with $53 from the local cable company's Digital Cable service. The signal seems to be clearer as well. For $53 I got the basic and expanded services, no BBC America or other channels that I wanted to see. No HBO, Showtime, etc either. With DirecTV I get more channels, and even International News. I had hoped they would have a UPN station, but no dice. Local channels are available for $5.99 a month, or I can use an antenna to get them for free. I opted for the later method.

[link|http://www.mini-dish.com|Dial-A-Dish/Minidish] offered me a free DirecTV system with one receiver for $15 shipping if I sign up for at least three months service at $31.99 a month. It normally costs $200 for the equipment. This offer is only available to new subscribers.

Pros:

Clearer picture than Cable TV
Cheaper than Cable TV
DirecTV Freeview channel for free entertainment/concerts to subscribers.
More channels than digital cable.
DirectPC broadband service coming up soon.

Cons:

No local channels unless you pay extra for them, or get an antenna.
Have to position the dish yourself or pay someone to do it for you.
When it rains, your service may be interrupted.
You have to service it yourself, if the dish moves or gets out of alignment, you have to fix it yourself or hire someone to do it for you.

"Oy! Seats taken mate!" - "Brilliant!" on BBC America
Expand Edited by nking Dec. 12, 2001, 01:44:37 PM EST
New Used to have DirectTV
We loved it a lot (except for the cons you already mentioned).

The new place is poorly positioned for a dish, however, so we're stuck with Digital Cable. (So they call it, except that the hybrid fiber-coax hasn't been run in our neighborhood.)

Result: More outages with the cable service, poorer selection of channels (I want the *East* coast feed of Comedy Central, darn it!) and a higher price.

And I don't even get cable broadband service, to boot.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

They say the heat and the flies here can drive a man insane. But you don't
have to believe that, and nor does that bright mauve elephant that just
cycled past.
-- (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent)
     DirecTV Satellite Service - (nking) - (1)
         Used to have DirectTV - (tjsinclair)

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
39 ms