IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We're using bugzilla for a few things
seems ok - its lack of expected completion date tracking shows its open source roots and is a little annoying.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:39:27 PM EDT
New Bug/Feature management and Project management not....
....necessarily synonomous. Guess you could ask for a tool that integrated the two, but the two really require a different interface. One assigns tasks and priorioties. The other just acts as a repository for all reported bugs and feature requests. Managing those requests is very much different - you have to pick and choose your battles.

(Not to mention estimated completion dates are generally fantasies).
New Re: Bug/Feature management and Project management not....
"Not to mention estimated completion dates are generally fantasies"

Not true here. The main trouble ticket system that runs everything is remedy. If you want anything you file a ticket. If you see something wrong, you file a ticket. Tickets have service level agreements and must be completed within a certain time (different priorities have different SLAs). We do use tickets to manage feature requests and it tends to make sure stuff gets done in a timely manner.

Its not good for coordinating large scale project management, but for lots of isolated items its OK.

Excel is the best tool I've found for managing projects so far. I am working on a better mac based tool for my own use though.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:41:36 PM EDT
New There is a reason that Excel is good for managing projects
[link|http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000245.html|One of the reasons that Excel is such a great product for working on software schedules is that the only thing most Excel programmers use Excel for is maintaining their software schedules!]

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
Expand Edited by ben_tilly June 17, 2005, 04:23:00 PM EDT
New ...
Expand Edited by Another Scott June 17, 2005, 04:59:50 PM EDT
     Favorite Open-source bug tracking tools? - (tonytib) - (25)
         bugzilla? -NT - (ChrisR)
         We're using bugzilla for a few things - (tuberculosis) - (4)
             Bug/Feature management and Project management not.... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                 Re: Bug/Feature management and Project management not.... - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                     There is a reason that Excel is good for managing projects - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         ... -NT - (Another Scott)
         I'd used Request Tracker for a while. - (static) - (9)
             We're having that discussion at work - (drewk) - (8)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                 Generalization, Abstraction, Taxonomy, Perspective, Opinions - (systems) - (6)
                     Feature requests are classified as requests to add bugs - (ChrisR) - (5)
                         Problem is, the users know that - (drewk) - (4)
                             Customers will call on every person in the company... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                 Like I do for Comcast? -NT - (folkert)
                             That's when you hold up the spec doc. - (static) - (1)
                                 The what doc? - (drewk)
         Years and years ago... - (Yendor)
         Trac is working quite well for CherryPy - (FuManChu) - (2)
             Re: Trac is working quite well for CherryPy - (systems)
             Working on Trac install now - (tonytib)
         Box of Notecards - (JimWeirich) - (4)
             3x5 rule[dz]! :-) -NT - (ChrisR)
             That's close enough to what I do now - (tonytib) - (1)
                 History-keeping tools: Hole punch and ring binders. HTH! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
             I use the 8x10s. - (folkert)

Something smells and it doesnt smell like curry.
90 ms