IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New another kind of body count: Xtreme Recruiting
For mom Marcia Cobb and her teenage son Axel, the white letters USMC on their caller ID soon spelled, "Don't answer the phone!"

Marine recruiters began a relentless barrage of calls to Axel as soon as the mellow, compliant Sedro-Woolley High School grad had cut his 17th birthday cake. And soon it was nearly impossible to get the seekers of a few good men off the line.

With early and late calls ringing in their ears, Marcia tried using call blocking. And that's when she learned her first hard lesson. You can't block calls from the government, her server said. So, after pleas to "Please stop calling" went unanswered, the family's "do not answer" order ensued.

But warnings and liquid crystal lettering can fade. So, two weeks ago when Marcia was cooking dinner Axel goofed and answered the call. And, faster than you can say "semper fi," an odyssey kicked into action that illustrates just how desperate some of the recruiters we've read about really are to fill severely sagging quotas...
[link|http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/paynter/227497_paynter08.html?searchpagefrom=1&searchdiff=1|much more]

I think I can see where we're going with this: the armed forces are going to skip the formal conscription bit and move directly to press gangs.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Not entirely certain you're joking
I would say the US armed forces wouldn't dare use press gangs because of the hostility it'd generate. But hard questions are blocked from town hall meetings, so I'm not sure. But I can see youth clubs being paid to allow recruiting seminars. Or implied threats of bad, high school references. Or recruiters advocating leniency in police stations for petty offences.

I'm surprised some of the tactics worked. For example, I'm surprised a 17 year old doesn't know that every sentence in
He could pursue his love of chemistry. He could serve anywhere he chose and leave any time he wanted on an "apathy discharge" if he didn't like it. And he wouldn't have to go to Iraq if he didn't want to.
is rubbish. Or is the kid just on of those below average brains?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New Re: Not entirely certain you're joking

He could pursue his love of chemistry. He could serve anywhere he chose and leave any time he wanted on an "apathy discharge" if he didn't like it. And he wouldn't have to go to Iraq if he didn't want to.

Taken straight from the movie "Private Benjamin". Fantasy becomes reality.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
     Return of the body counts - (Ashton) - (8)
         another kind of body count: Xtreme Recruiting - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Not entirely certain you're joking - (warmachine) - (1)
                 Re: Not entirely certain you're joking - (lincoln)
         Note careful use of the word "factoid"... - (pwhysall)
         Bigger problems - officers leaving military in droves - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             That's been all over the place. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Already that way in dau NG unit - (jbrabeck)
                 Yes, noticed on the daily US body counts.. - (Ashton)

Incidentally, my Liege, this is how we know the world to be banana-shaped.
43 ms