IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One day soon I'd like to meet the guy
who thought that gcc should use 32 bits for a bool on power pc architectures. Apparently, gcc only uses 8 bits for a bool on intel and Cocoa typedefs BOOL as a char. Making bool 8 bits would allow Cocoa to change the typedef of BOOL to be a bool with no binary consequences.

Why do I care? I'm updating my CLIPS-ObjectiveC bridge and want things labeled BOOL to have symbol values TRUE and FALSE like all the predicates produce in CLIPS> However, calling valueForKey: on a bool gives me a NSNumber that has a type tag of 'c' (char). So I can't cleanly tell at runtime if a value is meant to be a BOOL or a char unless its a builtin bool.

But who would prefer a 32 bit bool over an 8 bit BOOL?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:19:52 AM EDT
New 32 bits are useful...
... when it's a BIG yes, as opposed to the piddling little "yeah, sure" that you can store in 8.

HTH!
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New :-)
New Teehee!
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New So it is the LARGE BITS that cause the problem?
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New How many different ways can you say "YES"?
Apparently, 232-2....
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Hitachi for one...
Hitachi's native Super Hitachi compilers all insist that the bool type be the same as an int type, which is 32 bits.

And remember, this is an embedded compiler! (Shee-fscking-eeesh!)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

One day soon I'd like to meet the guy - (tuberculosis) - (6)
         32 bits are useful... - (admin) - (4)
             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Teehee! -NT - (imric)
             So it is the LARGE BITS that cause the problem? -NT - (ben_tilly)
             How many different ways can you say "YES"? - (jb4)
         Hitachi for one... - (jb4)

The Idler of Champions.
94 ms