IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New GM - as usual - misses the boat - thousands of workers hurt
[link|http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=8724177|http://www.reuters.c...s&storyID=8724177]

General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) expects to close more U.S. assembly and component plants over the next few years, slashing at least 25,000 manufacturing jobs as it battles high costs and shrinking market share, the company's chief executive said on Tuesday.

Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner, addressing shareholders at a contentious annual meeting, said GM expects to save $2.5 billion a year from the cost-cutting measures.

GM, the world's largest automaker, lost $1.1 billion in the first quarter and is riding out its worst financial crisis in more than a decade. It has been closing and idling plants over the past four years and will have cut its annual North American assembly capacity from six million vehicles in 2002 to five million by the end of this year.

A benchmark annual report on North American manufacturing operations released last week ranked GM dead last among leading automakers in assembly plant capacity utilization.
----------
You mean that with rising prices people aren't buying SUV's again? Maybe fuel efficiency would sell? Welcome back to 1973! Some never learn.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:15:05 AM EDT
New I remember '73 well + gas + [Nothing Learned. Zippo. Nada.]
Some kids were stuck on Grizzly Peak blvd. atop the Berkeley Hills, outta gas -- in a garden variety Detroit leadbarge. Started DOWN a steep straight-line street, to 'coast' to some gas station in the flatlands...

No power, D'Oh.
No power steering (minor)

NO fucking POWER BRAKES. (lethal)
The stone monument they hit at Marin Circle at ~ Mach 0.15? appeared to have been someone's prescient pre-need Memorial Stone.

Massive ignorance does its work on the tiniest scale, on its way up to the largest.
3.5 years of Denial, Bafflegab/treacle and Jesus - before we can even begin.. the massive work of undoing our Rogue Nation status.

(Optimistic version, natch - "unDo" This Much SHIT?)
in y'all's lifetime?
Damn well not in mine.

May your'n grandkids find a way to forgive Nana & Gramps for a braindead 2000 and 2004 performance, overall.
New Geez, even I knew of power brakes when I was a wee kiddie!
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New seen on a GMC truck license plate holder:
Honk
if bits fall off
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Maybe if the engineers
designed better cars, if the outsourcer companies built better quality parts, and if the designers made cars that more people like, they'd still be in this situation because GM's management sucks.

Only recently has Consumer Reports claimed that US built cars have caught up to Asian built cars in overall quality; before that, GM (and Ford and Dodge) were a distant second.

I haven't even contemplated a GM car in 15 years since I've always hated their interiors.
lincoln
"Until the revolution, we are only useful for our private information and our money."
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Looks like somebody else has a quality control issue. :D
New Maybe if the engineers
designed better cars, if the outsourcer companies built better quality parts, and if the designers made cars that more people like, they'd still be in this situation because GM's management sucks.

Only recently has Consumer Reports claimed that US built cars have caught up to Asian built cars in overall quality; before that, GM (and Ford and Dodge) were a distant second.

I haven't even contemplated a GM car in 15 years since I've always hated their interiors.
lincoln
"Until the revolution, we are only useful for our private information and our money."
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New We heard you the first time...;-)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New No, it's OK: one for each remaining US engineer.
     GM - as usual - misses the boat - thousands of workers hurt - (tuberculosis) - (8)
         I remember '73 well + gas + [Nothing Learned. Zippo. Nada.] - (Ashton) - (1)
             Geez, even I knew of power brakes when I was a wee kiddie! -NT - (Meerkat)
         seen on a GMC truck license plate holder: - (cforde)
         Maybe if the engineers - (lincoln) - (1)
             Looks like somebody else has a quality control issue. :D -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Maybe if the engineers - (lincoln) - (2)
             We heard you the first time...;-) -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                 No, it's OK: one for each remaining US engineer. -NT - (Ashton)

If I'm trying to do something that stupid, strong typing is the least of my problems.
87 ms