IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New having spent time around some large telco's
and currently working for a 22K employee (large) there is a LOT more pearl than people may realize. It is a common message inter application glue.
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Speaking of pearl...
...what's up with [link|http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000400.html|Parrot] these days?
New He doesn't sound like a happy warrior.
New s/pearl/Perl. As for the rest...
I'm not sure of Dan's exact reasons for being upset. I know that he's been irritated in the past at people who hang around and try to look cool while doing nothing. I know that he's been running the project for 5 years, and that is a long time to do anything. I know that the system they are trying to build suffers from some second syndrome tendancies.

Parrot is not widely used anywhere, of course, but according to reports that I've seen it is mature enough to build real languages on it. But I have to admit (as someone who hasn't played with it) that I'd question whether I'd want to run production stuff on it. Nobody seems to be using it for production yet, and periodically there are major design changes.

The core Perl developer community is not the easiest to interact with. As with all open source projects, you take what you get, which isn't always what you want. I think that it is better than it was a few years ago when p5p was a constant flamewar.

The project itself is still ticking along. See [link|http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/06/p6pdigest/20050602.html|http://www.perl.com/...est/20050602.html] for details. Atrijus Tang suggests that a useable Perl 6 could be real by Christmas. Of course the way that it finally happened is 90% due to Atrijus, Haskell, and various design documents that people wanted to make real. It is perhaps 10% due to Parrot. (Parrot is only one of several back ends, though hopefully it will be the best-performing.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New That shoulda been a new thread

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:10:13 AM EDT
New You're trying to get my goat, aren't you? Perl, not pearl!
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New one is a jewel and the other a shellfish hemorrhoid?
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New One is a jewel, and the other a kind of knitting?
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

need a check register for linux or OSX - (boxley) - (52)
         gnucash -NT - (bepatient)
         I've heard good things about MoneyDance - (SpiceWare) - (50)
             I would feel uncomfortable putting my financial info on the - (boxley) - (3)
                 I don't think it stores your data on the internet -NT - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                     if the application promises not to bombard you with banner - (boxley) - (1)
                         banner? - (SpiceWare)
             Java app - therefore worthless - (tuberculosis) - (45)
                 You're wrong. - (CRConrad) - (42)
                     No, we are the right ones - (tuberculosis) - (18)
                         I believe that you just said... - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                             I also mentioned speed - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                 Moore solves that one - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     IOW - (drewk) - (4)
                                         Ding, Ding, Ding! -NT - (folkert)
                                         The traditional figure is 90% :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             That number is low -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                         Absolutely -NT - (broomberg)
                                     That's just not *elegant* (in the Jargon file sense.) - (CRConrad)
                                     I think there is something architecturally wrong with Swing - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                         There is... - (admin) - (4)
                                             Dupe - (tuberculosis)
                                             I last looked at it 2-3 years ago` - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 Doesn't look like that on my machine. - (admin) - (1)
                                                     Powerbook G6 - (tuberculosis)
                                 Jesus you're full of crap sometimes, Todd. - (admin)
                                 Yeah...but what do you REALLY think? ;-) - (jb4)
                         ICLRDP (new thread) - (lincoln)
                     If it does the job correctly within the time allowed... - (pwhysall) - (22)
                         Key phrase: within the time allowed - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                             "Assorifice" - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 You didn't answer my question (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
                         So if it doesn't, are we THEN allowed to say it's crap? - (CRConrad) - (18)
                             While we're hand-waving... - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                 That's a false dilemma - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                     Not in most corporations. -NT - (admin) - (15)
                                         Can you back that assertion up? - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                             If you're doing Windows programming - (admin) - (13)
                                                 Double check your assertion - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                     Yep, my bad. - (admin)
                                                     having spent time around some large telco's - (boxley) - (7)
                                                         Speaking of pearl... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                             He doesn't sound like a happy warrior. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                             s/pearl/Perl. As for the rest... - (ben_tilly)
                                                             That shoulda been a new thread -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         You're trying to get my goat, aren't you? Perl, not pearl! -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             one is a jewel and the other a shellfish hemorrhoid? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 One is a jewel, and the other a kind of knitting? -NT - (jb4)
                                                 Fools we is I guess - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     Ugh. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                         Makes sense if you think about it - (tuberculosis)
                 AFAIK, Intuit is evil. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     There is no question about that. - (a6l6e6x)

Wie geht es Ihnen?
84 ms