IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any reason to prefer ActivePython vs pywin32?
They seem to do comparable things. Are there disadvantages to going with the ActiveState version? Is the pywin32 package patched more frequently?

I'm looking for a scripting solution that can examine text files and extract data, and that is easily extensible to building and extracting data from Excel files. I've seen REXX packages that will do that, but I figure Python has more of a future. I know Python can do the job. The question is, whether I can get it to do its magic with a minimum of fuss. With luck, I'll be able to construct scripts, etc., that can be used and extended by others (some of whom have less programming experience than I do), so perl is out.

My inclination is going with ActivePython.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Either should be fine.
I never saw a need to go with ActivePython, sticking with pywin32. Did a bunch of Excel work with it some three years ago. Everything worked fine except that it had problems properly closing the Excel worksheets. Was told that was a function of COM at the time, so I don't that it has ever got fixed.
New ActivePython comes with decent (HTML) docs
The ActivePython package comes with some decent extras, include a big pile of semi-organized documention.
New YAGNI
You Ain't Gonna Need It. Not for Excel-mashing anyway. Just get python and pywin32 (if you're running it on Windows). Read the tutorial, and then the docs on the csv library and you'll be off and running in no time.
New Thanks muchly, Fu and all. I appreciate it.
     Any reason to prefer ActivePython vs pywin32? - (Another Scott) - (4)
         Either should be fine. - (ChrisR)
         ActivePython comes with decent (HTML) docs - (dws)
         YAGNI - (FuManChu) - (1)
             Thanks muchly, Fu and all. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)

What were the skies like when you were young?
105 ms