IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New AFAIK, Intuit is evil.
That is, they use a proprietary format and often require annual upgrades.

I don't recall the details, but my credit union had a choice of continuing to allow downloads in a quicken-compatible format. Doing so would have cost the CU a bunch of money due to the needed upgrade. After asking for input from members, they decided not to do the upgrade. More on Intuit's tactics with the upgrade is [link|http://informationweek.smallbizpipeline.com/news/47212171|here].

I've just briefly played with MoneyDance tonight. It's not horrible and is actually usably snappy on this 1.2 GHz Athlon with 768 MB of RAM. I was pleasantly surprised (compared to some other hideous Java applications I've seen). It's much snappier than a beta of OpenOffice.org that I tried a couple of months ago.

If the choice was between Intuit and a Java application, I'd go Java every time. But since my banking is relatively uncomplicated, I can do what I need on-line or with my checkbook, so I still don't personally have the need for MoneyDance or Quicken.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New There is no question about that.
When I ran my company, I used Quick Books. After one of the updates, you had to use their tax table update service (at $6/mo) to do payroll. How often to do you suppose there is actually a change by the Fed or a state tables? If at all, at most once a year. The following year Intuit doubled the rate and I canceled that service. Then, they refused to print the 941, W-2 and W-3 forms even though you manually updated the appropriate accounts.

Fsck 'em, I say!
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
     need a check register for linux or OSX - (boxley) - (52)
         gnucash -NT - (bepatient)
         I've heard good things about MoneyDance - (SpiceWare) - (50)
             I would feel uncomfortable putting my financial info on the - (boxley) - (3)
                 I don't think it stores your data on the internet -NT - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                     if the application promises not to bombard you with banner - (boxley) - (1)
                         banner? - (SpiceWare)
             Java app - therefore worthless - (tuberculosis) - (45)
                 You're wrong. - (CRConrad) - (42)
                     No, we are the right ones - (tuberculosis) - (18)
                         I believe that you just said... - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                             I also mentioned speed - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                 Moore solves that one - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     IOW - (drewk) - (4)
                                         Ding, Ding, Ding! -NT - (folkert)
                                         The traditional figure is 90% :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             That number is low -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                         Absolutely -NT - (broomberg)
                                     That's just not *elegant* (in the Jargon file sense.) - (CRConrad)
                                     I think there is something architecturally wrong with Swing - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                         There is... - (admin) - (4)
                                             Dupe - (tuberculosis)
                                             I last looked at it 2-3 years ago` - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 Doesn't look like that on my machine. - (admin) - (1)
                                                     Powerbook G6 - (tuberculosis)
                                 Jesus you're full of crap sometimes, Todd. - (admin)
                                 Yeah...but what do you REALLY think? ;-) - (jb4)
                         ICLRDP (new thread) - (lincoln)
                     If it does the job correctly within the time allowed... - (pwhysall) - (22)
                         Key phrase: within the time allowed - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                             "Assorifice" - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 You didn't answer my question (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
                         So if it doesn't, are we THEN allowed to say it's crap? - (CRConrad) - (18)
                             While we're hand-waving... - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                 That's a false dilemma - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                     Not in most corporations. -NT - (admin) - (15)
                                         Can you back that assertion up? - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                             If you're doing Windows programming - (admin) - (13)
                                                 Double check your assertion - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                     Yep, my bad. - (admin)
                                                     having spent time around some large telco's - (boxley) - (7)
                                                         Speaking of pearl... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                             He doesn't sound like a happy warrior. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                             s/pearl/Perl. As for the rest... - (ben_tilly)
                                                             That shoulda been a new thread -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         You're trying to get my goat, aren't you? Perl, not pearl! -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             one is a jewel and the other a shellfish hemorrhoid? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 One is a jewel, and the other a kind of knitting? -NT - (jb4)
                                                 Fools we is I guess - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     Ugh. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                         Makes sense if you think about it - (tuberculosis)
                 AFAIK, Intuit is evil. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     There is no question about that. - (a6l6e6x)

This just in, kid: the mere fact that it's written down and believed in by millions of simpletons does not make something true.
74 ms