IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's a digital thing; think 'IQ'
It's pretty hard to get away from the mercantile habit of assigning stupid fucking Numbers to every -thing and -one. Maybe it's the "when you learn to use a hammer.." syndrome or possibly.. by now, the spreadsheet has done permanent damage to the collective neuronal nexus (?)

[OT: ever look into any of the stuff one Carver Mead (Cal Tech) was doing, trying to synthesize neural networks? Just curious if such material ever gets into the field, actual-workers' territory -- or it's just too surreal..?]

But I think you'll find that most here don't Really 'mean it', y'know?
People who understand how "significant digits" (and their frequent misuse) relate to the precision or probability of some measurement - know better. It's the ones who really Believe that the numbers (never mind their 'units') Mean something re humans : watch out for Those.

But then - you knew that. Right?
(I sure hope that modrin psych or psyche repairfolk don't assign numbers to their charges. Tell me they don't! write stuff like "87.3% paranoid/delusional, 13.26% BPD, ___")

Yours for writing all dossiers in longhand, sans arithmetic - but enough adjectives.
(Ok.. maybe.. a few video clips of the client telling her story. Animatedly.)

PS, re your field - a friend is dealing with a family member who is skirting the territory of bipolar (a term it's difficult ever to use 'with Any precision', I gather from several long-winded essays). She found the book, Stop Walking on Eggshells. It is even in English. Enter: how best to test the pharmchem soups -VS- realizing how little is done ($$ spent) to study the cross-interactions of the many popular soups. Etc.

It is clear that she will be of vastly more importance in any outcome than - the (pridefully way-overbooked) #1 shrink. Fortunately she has also learned tact, the creative evasion of ego-induced testiness. 'Computer Science' is trivial (hell, it's ALL mere logic) compared with This Gig.

Why.. I'd bet it's 87.15% harder than say, designing say, some old Linux kernel?

:-\ufffd
New I read what you wrote
and only understood about 1/3 of it. *Groan* Will have to respond back after I've showered and had my coffee and have the brain power to decipher.
New Better get used to it.
That's how he ALWAYS speaks. He's like the anti-Box.
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall, aleph-null bottles of beer.
You take one down, you pass it around,
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall!
New Re: Better get used to it.
Now there's a choice, eh? One who barely writes Engrish and another who's prose looks more like the path of a pinball going for the high score.
New Oops - double submit - read other
Expand Edited by broomberg May 29, 2005, 11:39:59 PM EDT
New Close
Remember, Ashton is usually juggling 3 or more concepts at once.

So it's like the pinball game that goes beserk, and puts several balls into play at once.
New Balls-A-Poppin was the first of the multi-ball machines IIRC

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:42:18 AM EDT
New The Batman machine was, imho, just about perfect.
The one that was released to coincide with Burton's film, that is.

Like this: [link|http://www.boomersamusements.com/batman_pinball_machine.htm|http://www.boomersam...nball_machine.htm]

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New My favorite was the Addam's Family
[link|http://www.gameroomwarehouse.com/pinball/addams_family.html|http://www.gameroomw...ddams_family.html]
     Look!! Another engineer for me! - (bionerd) - (48)
         hey, this guy can actually fix things! fake it -NT - (boxley)
         Now, now - (imric) - (1)
             ...but the money does! -NT - (ChrisR)
         How many do you need to consume a month? -NT - (gdaustin) - (11)
             s/a/per/ -NT - (Silverlock) - (10)
                 s/ a / per /; # Your substitution had a bug :-P -NT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                     Don't even know the language the "s/" thingie is from - (Silverlock) - (4)
                         It appears in several, including Perl - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Gotcha - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 s/all the a's/the first a/ - (Steve Lowe)
                         Started in sed - (broomberg)
                     Err: s/\\ a\\ /\\ per\\ / # I WOT -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                         Why escape the spaces? -NT - (static) - (2)
                             I use sed. -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                 That's the shell's behaviour, not sed's - (ben_tilly)
         Give it a shot -NT - (broomberg)
         Hey, Rowan Atkinson was an Engineer. Luck! :-) - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Great. The man of my dreams is Mr. Bean? - (bionerd) - (3)
                 Maybe more like Black Adder? -NT - (SpiceWare)
                 Hey, don't be too hasty to turn him down... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Hmmm.. Great Minds. Again. - (Ashton)
         View it as a game... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Okay, I'll give it a shot - (bionerd) - (1)
                 I'll need a report then :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Well, it is possible for an engineer . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             Cant control who I'm matched with - (bionerd) - (3)
                 No wonder you're getting engineers. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 I put them to bed with a song - (admin) - (1)
                     You sound a lot like me! - (bionerd)
         Oh give him a try -NT - (tuberculosis)
         That's friendly - (warmachine) - (17)
             You havent been following my lack of success with engineers - (bionerd) - (16)
                 My arms aren't that long - (broomberg) - (15)
                     Ditto the wife thing. - (bepatient) - (14)
                         Whattaya mean bet - (broomberg) - (13)
                             I don't do AC...I like the "sure thing" bets. Sue me :-) -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 You're DC? - (jbrabeck)
                             Hmmmm..... - (bionerd) - (10)
                                 *chuckle* You got way more than a 'passing grade'. -NT - (imric)
                                 It's a digital thing; think 'IQ' - (Ashton) - (8)
                                     I read what you wrote - (bionerd) - (7)
                                         Better get used to it. - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                                             Re: Better get used to it. - (n3jja) - (5)
                                                 Oops - double submit - read other -NT - (broomberg)
                                                 Close - (broomberg) - (3)
                                                     Balls-A-Poppin was the first of the multi-ball machines IIRC -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                         The Batman machine was, imho, just about perfect. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             My favorite was the Addam's Family - (broomberg)

It's only Monday, and that is already the dumbest question of the week.
140 ms