IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I awalys hated SQL based batch updates
It's called Structured Query Language, not Structured Update Language.
New Let's bring back FoxPro!
Just (half) joking.

It seems we need some kind of collection-oriented language for such thing. Older cursor-centric collection-oriented tools such as XBase (FoxPro) might help supply some good ideas to the industry so that explicit loops don't have to be written. APL? How about an APL + XBase hybrid, eh?

BUT:

SQL handles 90% (random percentage pulled out of my ass, of course) of what the standard end-user wants to do VERY easily. And easily does lots of complex joins that truly SUCK in any X-base derivative.

So, from a productivity perspective, for most users, it is far better to force the occasional programmer to suffer through a painful update, then almost all the users to suffer through X-base crap all the time.
New Preach!
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New 63.472% Disagree
SQL handles [about] 90% ... of what the standard end-user wants to do VERY easily

Not if you have poorly-normalized tables that have corporate cruft that's built up for decades. Further, as described, in this case I have to denormalize copies for speed purposes. Anything more than a 2-way join on slim tables tends to be too slow for their needs.

SQL handles 90% (random percentage pulled out of my ass, of course) of what the standard end-user wants to do VERY easily. And easily does lots of complex joins that truly SUCK in any X-base derivative.

Joins only semi-suck in X-Base. Further, most modern dialects let one use *both* SQL and X-Base as needed. Thus, you can get the best of both worlds.

But there was not enough.

So I wanted to pull people who took a certain amount of classes in the last 5 years, as long as they also took any class within the last 3 years.

But there was not enough.

So I wanted to fill out the list with people who took at least a single class within the last year, deduping against the 1st list, and maintaining a separate list so when I extracted the data I could nth out the secondary list to achieve my final quantity.

Time to interactively develop this, including running a dozen times or so as I tuned my queries, about 10 minutes.

This would SUCK in any other language I've ever dealt with, and take hours to develop.

\n\ndrop table fin_primary;\n\ncreate table fin_primary as\n\tselect client_id id from res_aggr\n\twhere s_course in\n\t\t\t\t(\n\t\t\t\t'A021','A039','A057','A059','A061','A063','A071','A072',\n\t\t\t\t'A075','A090','A091','A097','A103','A105','A106','A113',\n\t\t\t\t'A119','A122','A135','A141','A142','A149','A150','A155',\n\t\t\t\t'A158','A159','A167','A168','A172','A176','A177','A178',\n\t\t\t\t'A179','A180','A183','A184','A185','A193','A194','A195',\n\t\t\t\t'A199','A200','A201','A202','O013','O023','O028','O033',\n\t\t\t\t'O057','O114','O125','O134','O135','O138','O140','A204',\n\t\t\t\t'A207','A209','A213','A217','A218','A232','A235','O149',\n\t\t\t\t'O150','O151','O153','O154','O155','O156'\n\t\t\t\t)\n\t\t\tand\n\t\t\t\tcourse_date > sysdate - (5 * 365)\n\t\t\tand\n\t\t\t\tattend = 'A'\n\t\t\tgroup by client_id\n\t\t\thaving count(*) > 2\n\tintersect\n\tselect unique(client_id) id from res_aggr\n\twhere course_date > sysdate - (3 * 365)\n\t\t\tand\n\t\t\t\tattend = 'A'\n;\n\nselect count(*) from fin_primary;\n\ndrop table fin_secondary;\n\ncreate table fin_secondary as\n\tselect unique (client_id) id from res_aggr\n\twhere s_course in\n\t\t\t\t(\n\t\t\t\t'A021','A039','A057','A059','A061','A063','A071','A072',\n\t\t\t\t'A075','A090','A091','A097','A103','A105','A106','A113',\n\t\t\t\t'A119','A122','A135','A141','A142','A149','A150','A155',\n\t\t\t\t'A158','A159','A167','A168','A172','A176','A177','A178',\n\t\t\t\t'A179','A180','A183','A184','A185','A193','A194','A195',\n\t\t\t\t'A199','A200','A201','A202','O013','O023','O028','O033',\n\t\t\t\t'O057','O114','O125','O134','O135','O138','O140','A204',\n\t\t\t\t'A207','A209','A213','A217','A218','A232','A235','O149',\n\t\t\t\t'O150','O151','O153','O154','O155','O156'\n\t\t\t\t)\n\t\t\tand\n\t\t\t\tcourse_date > sysdate - (1 * 365)\n\t\t\tand\n\t\t\t\tattend = 'A'\nminus\n\tselect id from fin_primary;\n\nselect count(*) from fin_secondary;\n
New I am not sure what your point is
There are some things that SQL does well, and others that is does poorly. No tool is good at everything. The things that SQL tends to suck at, cursor-oriented techniques do fairly well at. Thus, if we combine the two, then we can cover more territory. But I would still like to replace SQL with a better relational language (for the non-cursor half).
New Or PL/SQL, or TransactSQL, or...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Nah
Give me a real language that happens to talk to databases over a database language that pretends to be real.
New I didn't say they were the best.
Just that the fusion had been done already.

I mean, sheesh... you can even use Perl and Python as stored proc languages in Postgres.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I know. I do.
I use it to allow an ODBC connected Coldfusion application execute a stored procedure that makes directories on an FTP server.
New I find PL/SQL and Transact/SQL too verbose
             Let's bring back FoxPro! - (tablizer) - (11)
                 Silly person you - (broomberg) - (10)
                     Preach! -NT - (drewk)
                     63.472% Disagree - (tablizer)
                     Real world example - (broomberg) - (7)
                         I am not sure what your point is - (tablizer) - (6)
                             It's been done already - (broomberg) - (5)
                                 Or PL/SQL, or TransactSQL, or... -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                     Nah - (broomberg) - (2)
                                         I didn't say they were the best. - (admin) - (1)
                                             I know. I do. - (broomberg)
                                     I find PL/SQL and Transact/SQL too verbose -NT - (tablizer)
         COALESCE - (drewk)
         Re: Simple SQL look-up turns out hairy - (JayMehaffey)
         Simpler SQL - (ChrisR) - (2)
             My 1999 book implies UPDATE....FROM is not standard -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Probably so... - (ChrisR)
         And you're surprised because what? -NT - (pwhysall)
         Another SQL Puzzle - (tablizer) - (31)
             Re: Another SQL Puzzle - (ChrisR) - (25)
                 Hmmm. Standard? -NT - (tablizer) - (24)
                     No such thing in SQL world - dialects everywhere -NT - (tuberculosis) - (22)
                         Good point. Standard != Common_Implementation - (tablizer) - (21)
                             Lemme guess... - (ben_tilly) - (20)
                                 The best way to fix non-standard implementations.... - (ChrisR)
                                 I had a look. - (static) - (13)
                                     Fish in a barrel -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                     Please be more specific -NT - (tablizer) - (11)
                                         Horse corpse - meet Mr. Stick -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                             IOW, guilty until proven innocent. IranWeThey - (tablizer)
                                         Sorry, I've got real SQL work to do. -NT - (static) - (8)
                                             SQL sucks (as a relational language) - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                 Perhaps you need to get out of the design and... - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                                     Some convergence perhaps - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                         sounds like you would be happy doing MAS90 -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Wow. That's harsh. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 its straight forward, lucrative and he enjoys the language -NT - (boxley)
                                                         You are writing a language IN xBase? - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                             I am sort of pushing off parsing issues to something else -NT - (tablizer)
                                 WRONGO! - (tablizer) - (4)
                                     Re: WRONGO! - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                         Prefix != "procedural" - (tablizer) - (2)
                                             I wasn't talking aobut it's notation - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                 Variables can be semantic "references", not necess. storage - (tablizer)
                     CASE is the ANSI/ISO-standard - (ChrisR)
             Easy if you have decode - (SpiceWare)
             Re: Another SQL Puzzle - (takicutie) - (3)
                 hmm - decode won't work afterall - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                     Nope, no negative in my case - (tablizer) - (1)
                         It has been standardized. - (ChrisR)

It’s professional wrestling.
194 ms