IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Paul Krugman selectively cites numbers
For all you Paul Krugman fans this statement comes from the NY Times Public Editor himself [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/weekinreview/22okrent.html?ei=5090&en=62360afeb9929786&ex=1274414400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all|13 Things I Meant to Write About but Never Did]

"...Op-Ed columnist Paul Krugman has the disturbing habit of shaping, slicing and selectively citing numbers in a fashion that pleases his acolytes but leaves him open to substantive assaults."
New Says noted economist Daniel Okrent
Uh, wait...
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
New Proof. We want proof.
It's one thing to say "Paul Krugman performs creative accounting" - it's another thing to prove it.

Get back to me when he's got proof, THEN I'll believe it. Until then, he's just another whiny weenie.

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

New Y'know the tactic. Tell a lie often enough and ...
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New Let's at least have the decency to give the full quote...
Op-Ed columnist Paul Krugman has the disturbing habit of shaping, slicing and selectively citing numbers in a fashion that pleases his acolytes but leaves him open to substantive assaults. Maureen Dowd was still writing that Alberto R. Gonzales "called the Geneva Conventions 'quaint' " nearly two months after a correction in the news pages noted that Gonzales had specifically applied the term to Geneva provisions about commissary privileges, athletic uniforms and scientific instruments. Before his retirement in January, William Safire vexed me with his chronic assertion of clear links between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, based on evidence only he seemed to possess.

No one deserves the personal vituperation that regularly comes Dowd's way, and some of Krugman's enemies are every bit as ideological (and consequently unfair) as he is. But that doesn't mean that their boss, publisher Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr., shouldn't hold his columnists to higher standards.

I didn't give Krugman, Dowd or Safire the chance to respond before writing the last two paragraphs. I decided to impersonate an opinion columnist.

[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/weekinreview/22okrent.html?ei=5090&en=62360afeb9929786&ex=1274414400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all| Source ]
New And it's not quite over yet....
In Daniel Okrent's parting shot as public editor of The New York Times, he levied a harsh charge against me: he said that I have "a disturbing habit of shaping, slicing and selectively citing numbers in a fashion that pleases his acolytes but leaves him open to substantive assaults."

He offered no examples of my "disturbing habit," and maybe I should stop there: surely it's inappropriate for the public editor to attack the ethics of one of the paper's writers without providing any supporting evidence. He responded to my request for examples with criticisms of specific columns. Those criticisms were simply wrong: in each of those columns I played entirely fair with my readers, using the standard data in the standard way.

That should be the end of the story.

I want to go back to doing what I have been doing all along: using economic data to inform my readers.

PAUL KRUGMAN
Princeton, N.J., May 24, 2005

The writer is an Op-Ed columnist for The Times. He and Daniel Okrent will be addressing this matter further on the Public Editor's Web Journal (nytimes.com/byroncalame) early in the week.
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/29/weekinreview/29publicletters.html?pagewanted=2&hp| NY Times ]
New Okrent responds
3. The mixing of household and establishment numbers in his 5/25/04 column: Missing from the BLS chart he cites is any number that even resembles the 140,000 new jobs each month needed to keep up with the growing population a statistic he cites in the column, and upon which he seems to have based some of his computations. To my knowledge, that number only appeared in the household survey.

4. The Polivka-Miller paper: On the substance, readers can come to their own conclusions by examining the report themselves, particularly the chart and related narrative addressing \ufffdDuration of Unemployment\ufffd on page 23 (pdf). On Prof. Krugman\ufffds defense of his unfamiliarity with it, he\ufffds effectively saying, \ufffdIf I didn\ufffdt know about it, it must not be important.\ufffd This is a polemicist\ufffds dodge; no self-respecting journalist would ever make such an argument.

5. Some other examples of Krugmania that popped out of my copious files:

His 1/27/04 assertion that the cost of unemployment insurance \ufffdautomatically\ufffd adds to the federal deficit. This two-fer misrepresents a pair of facts: that unemployment insurance is largely borne by the states, and that major federal contributions to the states come about only because of an act of Congress, which is hardly automatic.

His 2/3/04 assertion that tax proposals offered by Democrats would help the 77 pecent of taxpayers in the 15 percent bracket or less. The most recent generally accepted figures available at the time indicated that the number was actually 64 percent.

A very recent example that nonetheless escaped my memory until Prof. Krugman generously reminded me of it in his letter: His 5/9/05 column on progressive indexing. The column itself (without the ex post facto explanation) suggestively conflates \ufffdretirement income\ufffd and \ufffdsocial security benefits\ufffd without sufficient explanation, but with plenty of apparent point-making.

Believe me -- I could go on, as could a number of readers more sophisticated about economic matters than I am. (Among these are several who, like me, generally align themselves politically with Prof. Krugman, but feel he does himself and his cause no good when he heeds the roaring approval of his acolytes and dismisses his critics as ideologically motivated.) But I don\ufffdt want to engage in an extended debate any more than Prof. Krugman says he does. If he replies to this statement, as I imagine he will, I\ufffdll let him have what he always insists on keeping for himself: the last word.

I hate to do this to a decent man like my successor, Barney Calame, but I\ufffdm hereby turning the Krugman beat over to him.

[link|http://forums.nytimes.com/top/opinion/readersopinions/forums/thepubliceditor/publiceditorswebjournal/index.html?offset=1&fid=.f779788/1|Link]

The folks over at the Krugman Truth Squad at NRO seem to be enjoying this. In fact, they are taking [link|http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_luskin/luskin200506011007.asp|nominations] of outrageous Krugmanisms for a Jayson Award.
New They aren't the only ones...
[link|http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2005/05/why_oh_why_cant_12.html#more| Brad DeLong ]

Paul Krugman selectively cites numbers - (bluke) - (7)
         Says noted economist Daniel Okrent - (Silverlock)
         Proof. We want proof. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Y'know the tactic. Tell a lie often enough and ... -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Let's at least have the decency to give the full quote... - (Simon_Jester)
         And it's not quite over yet.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Okrent responds - (johnu) - (1)
                 They aren't the only ones... - (Simon_Jester)

Trust me...
46 ms