IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ah yes, I've been meaning to comment on that...
The blisfully newly-wed Wadester disclaims:
Disclaimer: I work for the mob who sell [link|http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/|Spyware Doctor].
You're quite right to *dis*-claim that; I, for one, certainly wouldn't want to *claim* it either!

You mentioned and linked to this app a while ago, and I downloaded it to check it out -- or, to be more precise, I *made the mistake* of downloading it to check it out. Seldom -- if EVER -- have I found a piece of trialware to be so frustrating.

To begin with, what the FUCK is the use of a trial version that doesn't *do* fucking ANYTHING? I mean, sure, if you're afraid of piracy, then by all means limit it so it doesn't remove "real" spyware *apps*, or something... But ferfuckssake, couldn't it at least have the frigging courtesy to clean up even the bleeding *cookies* it finds?!? This was not really a "trial", in the sense of letting you *try* anything... Rather, by throwing up lists of stuff it claims to be "harmful", and steadfastly refusing to do *anything* about *any* of it, it feels like it's fucking *taunting* you. Don't call it a "trial"; have the fucking honesty to call it a *tease*, 'coz that's what it is.

More importantly, don't these baboons have ANY frigging idea about Windows user interfaces???

For one thing, of those three buttons in the upper right corner of most application windows, the middle one is supposed to MAXIMIZE the window. "To maximize a window" means, to take into use all of the available screen area. That, in turn, means: If there is nothing to stop you, to size the app window to THE _W_H_O_L_E_ screen. It does NOT mean, "to size the app window to ALMOST the whole screen, EXCEPT the area where the task-bar WOULD be, if it weren't set to auto-hide". I mean, sheesh... How the fuck did they DO that? I was going to say this was the most amateurish piece of programming I've ever seen -- except, one suspects they had to *go out of their way* to make it behave so extraordinarily stupidly! (Which of course means it's by no means amateurish -- just plain idiotic!)

I also wonder, are your programmers slaves of some toy company, or something? Has NOBODY told them that some of us grown-ups are wont to adjust the appearance of our desktops to some settings other than the default Fisher-Price "theme"...? Somebody -- why not you, Wade? -- ought to tell them, further, that Windows applications are supposed to USE THE SAME APPEARANCE SETTINGS we set for the entire desktop!!! That's what we fucking well set them FOR; because we want our desktop to LOOK THE WAY WE _T_E_L_L_ IT TO! Any sensible development tool I know of generates applications that *automatically* do that; one is led to suspect, again, that your bozos went out of their way to make their piece of crapware NOT do so.

Now, before you try blithering something about how small an issue this interface thing is in the grand scheme of things, riddle me this: Why would anybody want to use *anything* from a bunch of programmers -- from a *company* -- that so obviously show they don't respect (ah, let's be honest: that so obviously show they *don't give a SHIT about!*) even the smallest of the user's -- the *customer's!* -- wishes?!? If they *actively go out of their way* to make sure the user *doesn't* get to say even what his own frigging desktop is like, what earthly reason would said user have to trust them with anything else -- like, actually removing spyware! -- either?!?

Finally, BTW, couldn't they even come up with a name of their own?!? To paraphrase whoeveritwas, "I knew PC Tools -- and you, sir, are no PC Tools."

There; do me a favour and report this back to your bosses, wouldja, mate?

Thanks.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Re: Ah yes, I've been meaning to comment on that...
I went to download.com
downloaded Spyware Doctor
installed it
ran it
it removed whatever it found
did not fill entire screen when autohide was
used on taskbar

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Sifting through the verbage...
If it doesn't maximise properly when autohide is enabled, then yes, that's a bug. I had another display bug to file, so I'll confirm yours as well and file them both.

As to whether the lolly interface is a bug is somewhat subjective. Microsoft violate this with their own apps (look at the menus in Office 2003) - though not as badly. Given it occurs regardless of the window style, as you've noticed, I'd say it is a deliberate decision and unlikely to be changed. Since I work on the trouble-ticket system, I can also see if any customer has reported it.

I don't know who makes the decisions as to what the trial version does and doesn't do, but I can guess. And that means I can guess as to the reasoning behind the trial version not removing anything: the trial version shows you what it's detection algorithms are like.

Wade.
Save Fintlewoodlewix
New "Sifting"? "Verbage"?!? You not very god at Engrish or what?
New One thing I have noticed...
...is that when we go to Z2, which will have a K5-esque autoformat feature, your posts will be less visually cluttered by *this*, which will hopefully be rendered like this.

Not a criticism, btw.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New "verbiage". I meant to type "verbiage".
Save Fintlewoodlewix
New Heh - "not very god". Me be the great spellmaster, indeed...
No, Wade, not intended as a comment on your religiosity -- jes' plane missprelling. :-(

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New I realized. :-) I wasn't going to point it out...
Save Fintlewoodlewix
     Happy day! Happy day! Rootkitted spyware is coming! - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
         You going to start a franchise soon? I think you'll be busy. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Yes, he is starting a franchise soon - (drewk)
         Some Links - (andread)
         It's already here. - (static) - (8)
             Ah yes, I've been meaning to comment on that... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                 Re: Ah yes, I've been meaning to comment on that... - (andread)
                 Sifting through the verbage... - (static) - (5)
                     "Sifting"? "Verbage"?!? You not very god at Engrish or what? -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         One thing I have noticed... - (pwhysall)
                         "verbiage". I meant to type "verbiage". -NT - (static)
                         Heh - "not very god". Me be the great spellmaster, indeed... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             I realized. :-) I wasn't going to point it out... -NT - (static)

SHUT THAT BLOODY BOUZOUKI UP!
65 ms