IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ...and why it does, properly configured
For running Windows sessions under Linux, VNC does wonders. You're already running individual sessions as seperate Linux processes. Ironically, Linux can serve Windows better than Windows can, in this sense. See also: [link|http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,45862,00.html|Wired: Penguin enrolls in US schools].
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Maybe I'm missing something here
But you can't use VNC to turn a Windows server into a multi-user (interactive) box.

That's what Terminal Services does.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Yes, you are missing something
There are programs (eg win4lin, vmware) which allow you to run Windows under Linux. Given the design of Linux, what you can do once you can do many times at once. So you run VNC in each of those instances of Windows, and access these VNCs from other machines.

Voila! You now have a home-grown but substantially cheaper Terminal Services for Windows, implemented on top of Linux.

Cheers,
Ben
New Er..
Do Billy n'Bally 'spect you to run a new copy of Winders on each open window ?? [umm Hah!]
I mean - it IS Ugly out there, no? :-\ufffd
New Questions
1. You'd still have to buy separate Windows licences for each instance. At \ufffd200 per licence, that stacks up fairly fast. TS client licences are less than that. VMWare licences are also pricey. I've never investigated Win4Lin.

2. How would you manage such things as user profiles and printing? Administratively, this could be more frustrating than you think.
3. How would you manage the network access to these VNC instances via something like the VMWare Host networking? I know that you can have multiple VNC instances running, each one listening on a separate network port - how would you bridge this to each VMWare instance running VNC?

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Licensing
Aye, there's the bugger. I'm not sure how that works out. Last I heard from my source, he'd had a chat with some folks from Redmond, in part discussing the licensing question. Not sure what the final resolution was.

Still, even with the licensing costs, administration of the systems is greatly simplified. You're running an image on top of Linux, with all the tools Linux provides to allow replication and restoration of that image.

Incidentally, a recent presentation I saw (autonomous computing) by IBM, there was mention of running various OS images on zSeries hardware, MS Windows included. Which makes me wonder if IBM's got that particular virtualization issue resolved.

Being able to seamlessly transmit and substitute images of proprietary and free OSs is going to do a fair bit to break up lock-in.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     W2K Terminal Services and Citrix - (Peanut) - (25)
         Re: W2K Terminal Services and Citrix - (pwhysall) - (14)
             Re: W2K Terminal Services and Citrix - (Peanut) - (13)
                 You won't get very far in this forum with that attitude ;-) - (bbronson)
                 Sounds like you were expecting... - (bepatient) - (11)
                     I can tell this my kind of place - (Peanut) - (10)
                         If you don't mind me asking... - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                             Yes, we could really use new blood -NT - (tonytib) - (8)
                                 A coworker posts here and says this is a great place - (Peanut) - (7)
                                     Slap 'im one - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                         Bitch - (Yendor) - (5)
                                             Just ignore him, Peter - (Peanut)
                                             Boys boys boys.. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                 Aye, but.... - (Yendor) - (1)
                                                     Pick pick pick -NT - (bepatient)
                                                 Woman? - (wharris2)
         The alternative - (kmself)
         VNC is a possible answer but for admin tools - (boxley) - (8)
             Why VNC doesn't fit the bill (ahem, sorry) - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 wall under unix - (boxley)
                 ...and why it does, properly configured - (kmself) - (5)
                     Maybe I'm missing something here - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         Yes, you are missing something - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             Er.. - (Ashton)
                             Questions - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Licensing - (kmself)

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
109 ms