IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Major demonstartions in Afghanistan
Apparently, the masses learned about US interrogators at Guantaamo flusshing Quaran down the toilet. "Death to America" is all the rage again.

I'll say it again and again: either kill them all, or get rid of the oil dependency and leave the bastards to themselves. There is no talking to those people.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New Don't let a tiny minority color your perception.
1) The US condemns it, but the investigation of whether it happened has only begun.

2) Only "hundreds" of people are involved in the latest demonstrations. [link|http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4547413.stm|BBC]:

In Baghlan, officials said hundreds of demonstrators took to the streets.

They said five people had been arrested and that explosive materials were also seized.

Realizing that numbers can be shaded either way, it does not seem to be a major showing of discontent at this point. Don't give up on millions of people due to the actions of a tiny minority.

Yes, the US should get to the bottom of what happened there ASAP, and if it happened, then those who did it should receive training on what is and is not permitted in interrogations and why. If they broke the rules they should be reprimanded or worse and transferred. If they didn't break the rules, then the rules should be changed.

Crap like this will always inflame people who hear about it, to varying degrees. Unless the US plans on holding everyone there forever and never allowing communication from Guantanamo or inspection of the facility, then they need to end practices like this. If it occurred.

Leaving Afghanistan to the militants isn't an option.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Call me a cynic, but...
Yes, the US should get to the bottom of what happened there ASAP, and if it happened, then those who did it should receive training on what is and is not permitted in interrogations and why. If they broke the rules they should be reprimanded or worse and transferred. If they didn't break the rules, then the rules should be changed.

They won't get to the bottom of it, the cover-up is in full swing.

To have this much going on and enough people relaxed enough to take pictures, means that the activity was widespread. Given that it was widespread, and that it took pictures to get an investigation opened up, means it was done with superior's knowledge.
New A good point but people take pictures of ...
lots of stupid stuff. Remember the [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=204840|happy slapping] thread?

Do you think the "amateur" pr0n "models" think about what they're doing for more than a few minutes? That photographs on the internet are never really gone and you can't know who will look at them?

How about people who [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/04/AR2005050401914.html|attack an 83 year old woman] at loading dock with video cameras present?

There are a lot of naive and even stupid people out there who don't seem to realize that photographic evidence can be pretty damning.

It might be widespread. I have no way of knowing; but I don't take the existence of photographs as being indicative of it being condoned or being known about by superiors. It's more likely to be correlated with stupidity, IMO.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'd like to believe that...
but..the situations are a bit different.

This is a controlled environment. No one gets on-or-off without permission and the responsibility of the actions of the employees are held by higher-ups.

Happy slapping? No control/responsibility for actions and not a controlled environment. And in this case, Police were already investigating....they had taken actions to try and stop the problem.

83 year old? Again, no one was in control/responsibility for the actions of the individual in question (except the individual themself). And in that case, it's doubtful even the individual knew that they were being photographed.

The problem isn't that the actions were photographed. The problem is that I have to believe that their higher-ups were shown/knew about the photographs. (The is the outside chance that they didn't know about photographs being taken at the base - but given that it's a controlled environment, that indicates a far worse problem, imo).
New I was all for the latter prior to 9-11.
Then I realized there ain't no "leave well enough alone" in a global, er, world.

Killing them all isn't very nice. Let's just kill the violent and stupid ones, and let Darwin sort it out.

Oh, and I don't think Afghanistan has an oil dependency. The Pashtun are hooked on something less useful.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like my posts, don't click on them.
Well, pardon us for winning the election.
New Newsweek apology.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/15/AR2005051500605_pf.html|Washington Post]:

Newsweek apologized yesterday for an inaccurate report on the treatment of detainees that triggered several days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 15 people died.

Editor Mark Whitaker expressed regret over the item in the magazine's "Periscope" section, saying it was based on a confidential source -- a "senior U.S. government official" -- who now says he is not sure whether the story is true.

The deadly consequences of the May 1 report, and its reliance on the unnamed source, have sparked considerable anger at the Pentagon. Spokesman Bryan Whitman called Newsweek's report "irresponsible" and "demonstrably false," saying the magazine "hid behind anonymous sources which by their own admission do not withstand scrutiny. Unfortunately, they cannot retract the damage that they have done to this nation or those who were viciously attacked by those false allegations."

Whitaker said last night that "whatever facts we got wrong, we apologize for. I've expressed regret for the loss of life and the violence that put American troops in harm's way. I'm getting a lot of angry e-mail about that, and I understand it."

[...]

A rather strange combination of 'unsure whether it is true' and outright denial and apology for 'whatever we got wrong'. I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will have a field day. It would be nice if a factual, clear report emerges in a few days.

Cheers,
Scott.
New One key element
of the Afghanistan riots is the rumor (possibly by Newsweek) that the (a?) Koran had been desecrated.
New With minor edits
The deadly consequences of Powell's report, and its reliance on the unnamed source, have sparked considerable anger worldwide. Opponents of the war in Iraq called the administration's report "irresponsible" and "demonstrably false," saying the White House "hid behind anonymous sources which by their own admission do not withstand scrutiny. Unfortunately, they cannot retract the damage that they have done to America's reputation in the world or those who were viciously attacked by those false allegations."

So ... when is the White House going to offer an apology and a retraction?
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Apology may have been premature...
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/25/AR2005052501395.html|Washington Post]:

Numerous detainees at the Guantanamo Bay military prison in Cuba told FBI interrogators that guards had mistreated copies of the Koran, including one who said in 2002 that guards "flushed a Koran in the toilet," according to new FBI documents released today.

The summaries of FBI interviews, obtained by the American Civil Liberties Union as part of an ongoing lawsuit, also include allegations that the Koran was kicked, thrown to the floor and withheld as punishment and that guards mocked Muslim prisoners during prayers.

[...]

Nearly all of the hundreds of pages of documents consist of FBI summaries of detainee interrogations, and therefore do not generally provide corroboration of the allegations. At least two detainees also conceded that they had not personally witnessed mistreatment of the Koran but had heard about incidents from other inmates, the records show.

But the records, many of which were heavily edited by the government, further underscore the widespread nature of allegations related to the Koran and Islam among detainees at Guantanamo. Red Cross investigators in 2002 and 2003 documented what they considered reliable allegations of Koran mistreatment at the facility, and some detainees have made similar allegations through their attorneys.

I didn't see the original Newsweek blurb (wasn't it just one sentence?), but [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/15/AR2005051500605.html|Howard Kurtz's] article says it said:

The report, in the issue dated May 9, said U.S. military investigators had found that American interrogators at the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, had flushed a copy of the Koran, the sacred Muslim text, down a toilet. A week later, when newspapers in Afghanistan and Pakistan picked up the item, it sparked anti-American demonstrations in the Afghan city of Jalalabad in which four protesters were killed and more than 60 injured. About a dozen more protesters were killed in the following days when the demonstrations spread across Afghanistan and to Pakistan and other countries.

"There had been previous reports about the Koran being defiled, but they always seemed to be rumors or allegations made by sources without evidence," Whitaker said, referring to reporting by British and Russian news agencies and by the Qatar-based satellite network al-Jazeera. The Washington Post, whose parent company owns Newsweek, reported a similar account in March 2003, attributing it to a group of former detainees. "The fact that a knowledgeable source within the U.S. government was telling us the government itself had knowledge of this was newsworthy," Whitaker said in an interview.

The FBI/ACLU documents apparently don't conclude that the allegations are unequivocally factual, but one has to wonder.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Major demonstartions in Afghanistan - (Arkadiy) - (9)
         Don't let a tiny minority color your perception. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Call me a cynic, but... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                 A good point but people take pictures of ... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I'd like to believe that... - (Simon_Jester)
         I was all for the latter prior to 9-11. - (marlowe)
         Newsweek apology. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             One key element - (Simon_Jester)
             With minor edits - (drewk)
             Apology may have been premature... - (Another Scott)

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading only.
69 ms