IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Desktop publishing app of some sort?
Looking to do somewhat simple pages, but they are data driven.

The first is a checkin sheet.

There is a pretty header, to be repeated for each page with a logo and a title.

Then comes the data.

It would be in a 3 column format - listing people's names, then company, then a line to sign. The company could be multiple lines, and the line to sign should line up with the last line of the company. I've tried doing this in tables in MS-Word (well, really someone else did and I then screwed around with it). Used mail/merge to bring in the data. Word invariably creates an extra page after companies wrap to far, but then leaves a bunch of blank space before the next person. OpenOffice spewed chunks when I started trying to use a spreadsheet for the data import.

The data could run 500 people - many pages.

I COULD do this as a real application, in Perl, spitting out PDFs, but I'm trying to setup something for the desktop guy.

I'd prefer an X based linux app if possible, but would accept a cheap/free windows app if necessary.

Note: I'm posting this via the PowerMac from my living room, having just setup wireless in my house for the 1st time. I love the glowing keys as I type in the dark.

Any ideas?
New Maybe DataVision?
[link|http://datavision.sourceforge.net/|DataVision].

I think it would have to be easier to use something that already exists rather than trying to write your own (in a reasonable amount of time). I haven't used it myself.

Your description sounds like a perfect fit for it. It's data-driven, so a WP is a poor fit.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Looks good - I'll go play - thanks
New You might try
playing with Automator/Pages/Applescript on your spiffy new toy. I'll bet you can make it do what you want.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Thanks
I played with the above but didn't really like it.
I have flat files and you have to go tweak the XML for that.
I'll whip something up using PDF backgrounds and Perl - no big deal.
     Desktop publishing app of some sort? - (broomberg) - (4)
         Maybe DataVision? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Looks good - I'll go play - thanks -NT - (broomberg)
         You might try - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Thanks - (broomberg)

¡Despierte, Estupido-idiota!
92 ms