IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A friend reviews HHGttG.
I trust her. She likes my sense of humor, and is suitably quirky herself.

[link|http://www.cinecultist.com/archives/000625.php|http://www.cineculti...chives/000625.php]

(If you're too lazy to read it, it's good. She liked it.)
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
-Isaac Asimov
New Saw it
Waste of time.
Oh well.
New I liked it too *** SPOILERS ***
[link|http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa102.html#hitc|http://www.thedigita...ntsa102.html#hitc]

There were some nice surprises. The original Marvin robot from the TV series showed up in line on the Vogon home planet. Simon Jones, the original Arthur voice and TV actor, made an appearance as the Magrathea warning system. In 3D no less.

I do agree that some of the dialogue was cut short. In particular near the beginning between Arthur and the foreman and of course the mirror conversation between the Vogons and humanity. I don't see the harm in leaving that bit of 20-30 seconds in. Certainly the Genghis Khan sidebar with the foreman was good to leave out as it adds nothing to the scene.

For you stubborn types, at least give it a rental on DVD or some other *cough*free*cough* method.

I even brought my towel with me. :-) (I spotted at least one other person you did the same.)
lister
New Lame
A failed attempt to inject action and romance into a comedy of farce. Sequences were too short to deliver the joke. For example, the joke of 'do not press this button again' was not preceded by the curiosity of the function of the button. Blinked and you'd have missed it. The monologue where the Vogon captain announces the destruction of the Earth didn't have a dramatic pause for the apparant reply from a human. As a result, the monologue seemed nonsensical. I couldn't even detect the change of tone into bureaucratic anger. That joke fell flat.

As for the romance. That wrecks the essence of Hitchhiker's. Arthur Dent is supposed to be permanently annoyed at a Universe that is mad at every level. Romance gives hope and makes the Universe more sane.

Injecting action cut out time for the comedy. The rescue of Trillian wasn't necessary and time spent on explanations from the Book would have been better.
Matthew Greet

But we must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig, cow after cow, village after village, army after army. And they call me an assassin. What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? They lie. They lie and we must be merciful to those who lie.
- Colonol Kurtz, Apocalypse Now.
New As I understand it...
... the romance was injected by Douglas Adams. From what I've read a very large portion of the screenplay was his work. Whether you like it or not, meh, maybe that doesn't matter. But they were being faithful to his *screenplay*, not to his book.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Rescue of Trillian was the only part I somewhat enjoyed
Exactly because it was not predictable from my past reading of the books or the watching of the BBC series. The BBC series has a better pace and better delivery of humour, though I disliked some of the actors.

Speaking of spoilers, the only thing that came as a surprise to me was that Zaphod was the one who signed the proclamation for the hyperspace bypass. Don't remember that this was in the books or the series. Wonder though whether Adams was engaging in a bit of Lucasian revisionism that tries to ties things together in a knot. As for the romance, we have to consider that the later books in the series were a tad more romantically inclined. Probably Adams also doing a spin on his earlier works based on his later outlook.

I can't say that I really got much pleasure from viewing the movie. Made me cringe in places - especially based on the pacing that you mentioned, and bored in many others. My 14 and 9 yo's did enjoy it though. The 14 yo has already read the series and my 9 yo started reading the first book after we got home. So it wasn't a total loss after all.
     A friend reviews HHGttG. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
         Saw it - (broomberg)
         I liked it too *** SPOILERS *** - (lister)
         Lame - (warmachine) - (2)
             As I understand it... - (admin)
             Rescue of Trillian was the only part I somewhat enjoyed - (ChrisR)

Kilroy was here.
64 ms